Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some oil in my driveway and decided to check my oil level. It was low... VERY low. I got under the car and there was oil everywhere. The mess is mainly on the passenger side, not particularly in the front or the rear, however the oil pan all the way up to the the valve cover is soaked. The problem seems to be coming from somewhere up top, but below the valve cover. Here's what's odd: there is no oil on or around the oil filter, the exhaust and intake looks good, and the valve cover (gasket) has no oil on it. The VTEC solenoid is one of the most common issues I've found but mine once again looks clean. But like I said, everything else in that area is a complete mess and I wouldn't be surprised if oil was being slung all over everything while driving (my belt looked clean).

Without further adieu, here are some pictures (very large, I know, but hopefully somebody can recognize the issue!):

From underneath, there is an obvious leak

From underneath, looking up by the passenger wheel well

From top, THE TROUBLE SPOT

^What is the round thing in this picture, with the plug going into it? That looks like it might be an issue

From the bottom, looking up at the trouble spot from above. Notice the oil filter and VTEC solenoid are pretty much completely dry

Thanks so much for looking,
Zach

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Cannot tell anything from your pics. Wash the engine down with engine degreaser, then observe from there. VTech and valve cover will only leak while car is running anyway, because it's high up and oil drains back to pan. So, if the oil is dripping constantly while parked, the leak source must be very low. You can stick some cardboard under the car while parked, to see where the drip is happening.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
第9世代;4783738 said:
Did you switch to synthetic oil?
At most, switching to synthetics may cause a little weeping in areas that were prone to leaking anyway. Most never see an issue and it wouldn't cause the type of leak you see here.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
That shouldn't be too hard to find if the filter and vtec are dry....

·
2015 EX-L V6 Sedan
132 Posts
At most, switching to synthetics may cause a little weeping in areas that were prone to leaking anyway. Most never see an issue and it wouldn't cause the type of leak you see here.
I respectfully disagree because I have personally seen a high-mileage Integra that leaked pretty bad after switching to synthetic.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
第9世代;4784786 said:
I respectfully disagree because I have personally seen a high-mileage Integra that leaked pretty bad after switching to synthetic.
Might just be timing for a leak that was to occur anyway. I've been using synthetics for as long as I can remember on cars that leaked and cars that didn't. Neither got any worse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the responses so far.

I guess a little background... I changed my oil last month (1K miles ago) and now it's pretty much all gone. I did use synthetic, but I always have, and I think it was the same brand too (Mobil 1).

Regarding cleaning my engine... this was just my first look since discovering the problem, none of that was there before so it is all from past this oil change. The oil leak is very high.

But yes, the filter and VTEC solenoid are dry. In fact, it looks like the leak might be even higher up than the VTEC solenoid. My research hasn't led me past the solenoid and filter so I'm posting this in hopes that somebody can recognize this leak. Otherwise my next step will be clean/refill/watch.

Thanks!

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,038 Posts
How does the crank seal and PCV valve look?

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,038 Posts
If your Accord is anything like my '99 the PCV valve is right on top of the valve cover. It's easy to check if it's clogged...take it off (just disconnect it) and shake it. If you hear nothing, it's clogged. But there are other problems they can have as well. Bad PCV valves can make oil leaks worse than they already are, so even if it's not the problem, you can treat one of the symptoms, possibly.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
It's an aggressive leak. Wash it down then run the car, wait and observe. Feel free to post a vid.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
The major leak is most likely the solenoid o rings or possibly the solenoid itself. A secondary leak is the front crankshaft seal. I would clean it up first and see where the oil is visible after cleaning to be sure. Do not believe any of the "Synthetic oil caused the leak" crap that is based on an issue from when synthetic oil first came out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The O-ring part #8 has been known to fail and cause a pretty substantial oil loss. The switch from conventional to synthetic is not going to cause oil loss that leak.
Hmmm that sounds promising, thanks! If anybody knows of a more specific identification for this part, I'd love to do some more research.

Thanks for the responses everybody. Whenever I get a chance, I'm going to clean it up a bit and see if I can identify a source of the leak. I'll post my findings here. I kind of feel bad for wherever I left a 4 quart oil stain...

·
Roll Tide!
6,793 Posts
第9世代;4784786 said:
That's a pretty broad brush you're painting with, bro. I have personally seen a 2001 Accord with 197k miles that switched to Mobil 1 synthetic after running nothing but bulk conventional oil from Jiffy Lube and it did NOT leak a drop.

Just because I got a free lap dance by a stripper at Mons Venus once doesn't mean all the lap dances I've gotten were free or will be free in the future. Ya dig?

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
The part name for #7 is the Variable Valve Timing Control (VTC) Oil Solenoid Valve. It is held on by that single long shoulder bolt, while you have it out be sure to clean the screens on it. Obviously #8 is O-ring seal for the Solenoid valve.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The part name for #7 is the Variable Valve Timing Control (VTC) Oil Solenoid Valve. It is held on by that single long shoulder bolt, while you have it out be sure to clean the screens on it. Obviously #8 is O-ring seal for the Solenoid valve.
Thanks! Hopefully this weekend I'll get it cleaned off and see if I can spot the leak. Crossing my fingers it's the VTEC/oil solenoid and not related to the crank pulley.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts