Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sport with a CVT. Bought in Feb with almost 13.5k on it. Love it.

A few weeks back I had checked and found the Oil level to be low on the dipstick ( around 40% oil life). Checked around and saw a thin line of oil around the valve cover area. Thought nothing of it, but did notice a 'drag on' feel when driving the car from a stop position.

I have a customer at my business who is a Honda tech. Showed it him and he advised me to see the Honda dealer.

Lo and behold, it turns out there was a leak. The dealership 'torqued the cover tightly and cleaned the area.' He said it was loose but the gasket was not damaged in anyway. I asked the rep, that a lose covering shows a lack of QC and he said that he agrees with me. Anyhow, they did not have a new gasket so they basically tightened the screws. He said that I should monitor for anymore seepage and if there were any I should bring in the car and they will order and install a new gasket for me. Of course, all covered under the warranty. Still ****s to know that such a vital component of the car was not inspected before delivering to the customer. Will keep you guys posted on the issue.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,609 Posts
Meh! The Accord is just a mass produced, run of the mill, nothing special consumer item. As such manufacturing mistakes happen. This is why we have warrantees.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
I'm with Markus. Even if they would have inspected the crap out of it prior to delivery, it's unlikely they would have noticed a slightly too lose gasket. Maybe the robot that does the bolt torquing during engine assembly was having an off day (calibration wise).

'Tis why we have warranties. (Well...you at least...mine is probably blown :) )

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Meh! The Accord is just a mass produced, run of the mill, nothing special consumer item. As such manufacturing mistakes happen. This is why we have warrantees.
Agreed.

And the quality is head and shoulders better than any hand built car from any continent.

Jay

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed.

And the quality is head and shoulders better than any hand built car from any continent.

Jay
I agree but I do hold the Honda products to higher standards.

So far, I love the Accord and have been especially surprised pleasantly with the CVT.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I agree but I do hold the Honda products to higher standards.

So far, I love the Accord and have been especially surprised pleasantly with the CVT.
Me too, expecially since this is my first Import/Honda and I took a lot of Crap from Family and friends when I took the leap. It better hold up...LOL

9,000mi in 4 months and i'm lovin it.

Jay

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
so this oil was a thin film with dust on it or an actual streaming leak?

thin film is normal fyi, usually from assembly. wipe it off and carry on. the dealer tech probably lol'd at it and brake cleaned it off and that was it.

how low was your oil?

nearly all the oil leaks don't show up when the engine is first tested fyi - QC is just fine. it takes miles and miles for a small leak to show it's face

1 - 8 of 8 Posts