Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to check my oil level, but for some unknown reasons I cant see oil on the stick (only one drop at the end of it). I started the car for 5 mins and after after 3 mins I rechecked but no oil on the stick. The car runs good.
What is the issue?

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
3,538 Posts
When was the last time you had the oil changed? You should see more than just a drop at the end. The oil should be between the two hold on the dip stick.

You should add oil or do a change and fill it to the correct level just to be sure you are not low. Check it regularly to see if you are burning or leaking oil.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I am doing my oil change next weekend, but I just don't understand why I cant see oil on the dip stick...I don't think the car is loosing or burning oil, but I will take a good look at it.

What I think is that the oil is not getting to the bottom of the pan as it should or something like that. No ??:dunno:

·
Banned
13,097 Posts
I think you are very low on oil.

If there is so little oil in the pan that it won't "register" onto the dipstick, then you can be sure that the oil is low.

Your oil isn't hiding in a corner of the engine....it is gone. Buy a couple quarts of oil, ANY OIL, and add it immediately and check the level then. Add or "change" your oil tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I am trying to check my oil level, but for some unknown reasons I cant see oil on the stick (only one drop at the end of it). I started the car for 5 mins and after after 3 mins I rechecked but no oil on the stick. The car runs good.
What is the issue?

Thank you
Sigh.... I'm cringing while reading this. :headbash:

Another candidate for the "why is my car burning oil?" club.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
Sounds like you're at least 2 quarts low.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There seems to be a lot of oil level and oil change interval questions lately. Like stated, add some oil ASAP and start getting in the habit of checking it more often. My car has 160k on it and doesn't burn a bit of oil in between 7.5k mile change intervals using Mobil-1 full synthetic, but I check it every week out of habit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
first off, you need to check the oil about 10-15 mins after you park the car in order to get an accurate reading. gotta give it time to fall back down into the oilpan.

next, pull the dipstick, don't even look at it, wipe it off and fully reinsert it back into the engine. then pull it back out and inspect the level on the dipstick. this is really the only way to get an accurate measurement. if there is no oil on it, then you're at least 1.5 quarts low. i'd put some in it before i drove the car again. you don't want to have the oil pump start ****ing air instead of oil when you go around turns and it sloshes back and forth.

anyways, you've either got an oil leak somewhere, or its burning it. if it runs ok but burns some, its not the end of the world. all engines consume a little bit of oil. but if its burning tons, you might want to investigate that.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,713 Posts
Sigh.... I'm cringing while reading this. :headbash:

Another candidate for the "why is my car burning oil?" club.
And maybe the stretched timing chain club.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
first off, you need to check the oil about 10-15 mins after you park the car in order to get an accurate reading. gotta give it time to fall back down into the oilpan.

next, pull the dipstick, don't even look at it, wipe it off and fully reinsert it back into the engine. then pull it back out and inspect the level on the dipstick. this is really the only way to get an accurate measurement.
Thanks for your time to write the comment, but I know how to check the oil. The time frame I wrote was only the first time I checked it.

·
Banned
13,097 Posts
Swiz, BLCKFLSH was not being funny....running low on oil can easily lead to what Drew and BLCKFLSH were referencing- once you run low on oil, your chances of developing a loss of oil between change intervals and you risk of stretching the timing chain grow exponentially.

There are some jokers on this forum (I am one of them from time to time) but Drew and BLCKFLSH never have an unkind word for anyone.....I try to emulate that.

Back on point....You can't wait one week to change or add oil- the engine will still run but you will damage it. These guys know.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,713 Posts
People think they are funny behind their screens, but I guess they have no life taking time to write stupid stuff.
When was the last time you checked the oil? Must have been a while, or you have a serious problem. Stop installing LEDs for a minute, and check your oil. Your car is lit up like a Christmas tree, and soon it will be just as stationary. :lmao: If I'm going to be accused of being "funny" I might as well go for it. I'm willing to come out from behind the screen any time you like.

·
Registered
804 Posts
When was the last time you checked the oil? Must have been a while, or you have a serious problem. Stop installing LEDs for a minute, and check your oil. Your car is lit up like a Christmas tree, and soon it will be just as stationary. :lmao: If I'm going to be accused of being "funny" I might as well go for it. I'm willing to come out from behind the screen any time you like.

+1 !!!!! for it to be that low means it was never checked.... why?!? was someone else supposed to do it & they dropped the ball?

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Thanks for your time to write the comment, but I know how to check the oil. The time frame I wrote was only the first time I checked it.
So you "know how to check the oil". Why the thread then???

What is the issue?
Part of knowing how to check the oil, is interpreting what the stick is telling you. Obviously, you're not in the habit of checking it, else it wouldn't have run low like that. If you had any clue, you wouldn't have restarted the car till you added oil. Congratulations on causing undue wear to your engine. How bad depends on how long you drove it like that. My guess is thousands of miles??? Obviously you are good at denial and your attitude will give us pause next time you post a dilemma. If you think the things we have told you are false, just ignore and move on to the next cool mod.

·
7th Gear
3,424 Posts
What is the issue?
Thank you

Then this was a worthless thread. :dunno:

·
Banned
13,097 Posts
Maybe when the engines grenades he can part out those cool interior LEDs?

I call dibbs on the license plate LED lights....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't worry I checked the oil 2 weeks before I posted and the level was fine... that's why I asked my question in the 1st post. I just did like the way you replied the first time assuming I am ignorant. Anyways.

And for the leds...that's not your problem what I do on my car. People like people don't... I don't care.. do what you want with your car and be happy !!

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,713 Posts
How many miles are on this car? How many miles did you drive in those two weeks (since you checked the oil)? Unless it was a LOT of miles, you either have a serious leak, or you are leaving a smoke screen behind you.

I can easily put past remarks in the past, if you can. We all have bad days.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My car has 193...kms. In 2 weeks I drove around 1000 kms. My car runs good, no massive oil leaks, no smoke screen, just the fact that my oil got low in 2 weeks interval, that's all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.