Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear, just last week the oil life went down to 50%, and now Today, it just went down to 40%...

How does that even happen? I know the OLM takes into account speed, temperature, etc., but what makes my oil life decline so rapidly?

I drive about 180-200 miles per week, and most of it is around town driving, which I know does effect oil life, but it's unusual for it to go from 50% to 40% in one week...

Are there any other factors that could be effecting my oil life?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Sorry to hear about your oil life issues. No idea, sorry.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
Doesn't the percent change in increments of 10%? Maybe it was about to change last week, then finally did during that week. How many miles you get between 100% and 15% is most important, not how long from 50% to 40%. It could have been on 50% for a while.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I think so. IIRC, the MM on the 7G goes by 10% intervals until it goes below 20%, then it goes by 5% increment. I don't have the owner's manual with me, so I can't be sure, but that's basically the case from what I remember.

OP, is there something else wrong with the car besides the seemingly more rapid drop? I wouldn't worry about it unless something else feels / is wrong with your car.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,639 Posts
Pay ZERO attention to the idiot oil life percentage on the dash. Keep a book, note the miles since last oil change, and change it per that.

Well, ok, some people don't like to keep track of things the old fashioned way. When the % gets to zero, change it, and don't worry about it, heck, don't even bother to check your oil while your at it.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing is wrong with the car... that I know of at least. Just thought it was odd it dropped so rapidly.

I'll keep an eye on it. If it drops to 30% next week, then something is not quite right....

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
It has to change from 50% to 40% at some point. It could be at 50% one day, and switch to 40% the next time you turn the key. How long was it at 50%?

·
Registered
804 Posts
It has to change from 50% to 40% at some point. It could be at 50% one day, and switch to 40% the next time you turn the key. How long was it at 50%?
+1 ! could have been at 50% for a while, then you drive around the block and all the sudden its 40%.. didnt mean driving that 1 block used 10% of your oils life span..

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, just gotta wait till next week to see if it drops again... I really could have sworn it went from 60% to 50% last week.

lol maybe the Honda dealer is using a high tech device to sabotage my oil life so that I come in for an oil change sooner.. hmmmmmm.:paranoid:

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
That would be pretty slick of them. I can imagine the service manager doing the banana dance as you drove away. :banana:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I swear, just last week the oil life went down to 50%, and now Today, it just went down to 40%...

How does that even happen? I know the OLM takes into account speed, temperature, etc., but what makes my oil life decline so rapidly?

I drive about 180-200 miles per week, and most of it is around town driving, which I know does effect oil life, but it's unusual for it to go from 50% to 40% in one week...

Are there any other factors that could be effecting my oil life?
I have exactly the same problem, and can’t figure out what it is...., the car doesn’t seems to have any problem, only the oil % drop really fast 2000km -70% drop

Change the pcv valve, along with the oil if its dirty, and reset the gauge inside the car.
I changed the pcv valve couple weeks ago, do you think it’s because of that the oil % drops?
I read that the fuel consumption it’s showing wrong numbers after that....
I don’t know man, but it’s really strange...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts