Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, a while ago, I hydroplaned and my car span out on the freeway and the oil light started blinking. So, I restarted the car and the oil light went away. Now, every time I take a turn hard, the oil light starts blinking, and to remedy this, I just restart the car and the light goes away. Just wondering if there was a permanent solution to it and was wondering if it was anything serious. And yes, I do check my oil frequently to make sure there is a sufficient amount of oil in there. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
2008 Accord Coupe EX
999 Posts
Thats because you lost oil pressure for a bit from the g forces, that means the oil will get pushed to one side of the oil pan, this is why cars such as Corvette, Ferraris, and Lamborghini's use what is called and oil resivoir,(no oil pan)

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Same reason those same cars have baffles in their fuel tanks. You don't want the weight of 15 gallons (about 90 pounds or 40 kilos) of 91 octane pushing your vehicle's right rear tire to the outside when you are making a hard left turn.

What the heck kinda driving you doing anyway?

·
Corvalis TTX
4,609 Posts
Thats because you lost oil pressure for a bit from the g forces, that means the oil will get pushed to one side of the oil pan, this is why cars such as Corvette, Ferraris, and Lamborghini's use what is called and oil resivoir,(no oil pan)
More commonly called "dry sump" because, well, a regular oil pan is also an oil reservoir.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Your oil is low.

You are turning too hard.

You could add more oil and see if it goes away.

Something tells me your oil is still low and you need to add more

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
14,686 Posts
i was wondering the same thing...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have this same issue and i just keep up with my oil. Whenever ive checked oil lvel because the light came on it was about 1.5 to 2 quarts low. Not a good idea to let it get so low IMO.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Low oil as others have mentioned or a faulty sensor. HP cars with a wet sump system usually have baffles to prevent the oil pump from cavitating.

The main reason for a dry sump system is that they are more practical for high capacity oil systems. I had a Porsche that held 14 quarts of oil. If it had a wet sump oil pan, it'd be dragging on the road.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I check my oil every week an just recently did my oil change, I'm never down more than half a quart when I check my oil and I usually top it off if it's low and the oil light still turns on when I take turns too hard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This has happened to me once and it was because of taking a turn too hard to avoid an accident, but it does not sound like this is what you are doing.

Are you drifting this car around town?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Low oil as others have mentioned or a faulty sensor. HP cars with a wet sump system usually have baffles to prevent the oil pump from cavitating.

The main reason for a dry sump system is that they are more practical for high capacity oil systems. I had a Porsche that held 14 quarts of oil. If it had a wet sump oil pan, it'd be dragging on the road.
I cornered hard some times but never saw an oil warning light. I'd say it is likely the oil pressure sensor given the oil level is checked. Most water cooled engines does not need that much oil, your Porsche must be an old air cooled 911 which required that much oil to keep it from burning up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts