Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Accord SE F22B2 16valve not VTech. I just bought it so prior work I really don't know or really trust the work since I had to replace transmission cooling lines that were leaking and come to find out one hose was fuel line and the other was I swear blue rubbery plastic totally not car material! Needless to say I'm not sure of what could cause the oil light to flutter as if it is out of oil while idling since I've never dealt with this issue before in my years of owning Accords. Oil sending unit pump or what have you? The light turns off when I'm driving or revving the engine. I know the valve cover gasket needs changing btw. Just another Jimmy Fixit f***up I can see.

I also have a whine coming from the black cover of the timing belt area. I'm assuming that means I need to change that belt?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Well, it could just be a bad sending unit or it really could be low oil pressure. Also, that sound you are hearing could be a bad oil pump but there is several other things in there that can make noise as well, such as tensioner or balance shaft...etc. Obviously the correct way to determine the oil pressure is to replace the oil pressure sensor with a mechanical test gauge and read the pressure to see if it is low. A general minimum operating oil pressure for most engines is 10 psi per 1000 revs. You could just buy a new oil pressure sending unit and see if the light stays out

If the pressure is low it could be a lot of things

Contaminated Oil or worn out oil
clogged screen
oil pickup tube broken or loose
worn main bearings
worn rod bearings
worn oil pump

Hope that helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts