Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my accord 3 months ago and after driving I decided to change my oil and filter.. and i find that I had no regular oil pan drain plug.its like a metal plug. I took it to jiffy lube and they said it was a plug that was meant to used briefly and not permanently, the tech said it looked to used for a while like this.

TL;DR
I'll post a pic of i can of it i just want to get it off so i can replace it with a new drain plug. just need help getting it off.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
I'll kick it off:

the stripped it and used RTV sealant on some generic plug to hide their mistake?

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
It's not just a matter of "replacing the drain plug..." Those are installed for a reason; either the oil pan is stripped or the old drain plug is stripped and the shop didn't have an OEM replacement. I would recommend that you take it to a mechanic and be prepared to drop some money. Either a drain plug or an oil pan. My bet is on a stripped pan, assuming that the one on your car is original which would make it quite old. Honda oil pans are somewhat prone to stripping, especially with age like your car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
No need for a new pan. This just happened to me and I ended up buying a Aluminum Pan Oversize 14.5mm drain plug from these guys and it works great.:thumbsup:
http://suresealdrainplug.com/
Why a 14.5? Is it a 9/16? 5/8? Replacing the pan is safer than rethreading an ancient pan. You'd have to do a slight flush of the pan to get the metal shavings out as well, and who knows if you get all of them out. It's way safer to replace the darn thing IMO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, thanks for the idea. but I think ill just replace the oil pan and get a new/refurbished one.

Would I just take the oil pan off with the oil in it or is there a way to get the used oil out before dropping the oil pan.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Yea, thanks for the idea. but I think ill just replace the oil pan and get a new/refurbished one.

Would I just take the oil pan off with the oil in it or is there a way to get the used oil out before dropping the oil pan.
I've never done or seen it before, but I'd just drill a hole next to the plug to get the oil out, unbolt the pan, pry it off, scrape adhesive off block, then reverse to installl new pan.

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
If it was used for awhile, the temporary plug should be able to be removed. If not, you could drill a hole in the pan, but it'd get really messy, really quick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The new plug is slightly oversized to cut new threads. All you need to do is coat the new drain plug with grease and run it in. What ever is left behind you can pour a bit of oil through the engine to clean it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts