Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. When trying to remove/install the 2.0L engine oil pan, the lower torque rod mounting bracket is secured to the pan with 4 bolts. Anyone know the torque spec for these?? Thanks in advance for any help!

Product Font Auto part Automotive lighting Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
13 Posts
If they are still in place, make a mark on the bolt and the pan and reinstall to the mark. If not, search for a generic torque spec for the size, thread pitch, and hardness of the bolt. Or, if possible, find another car, mark the bolt as above, remove and reinstall and note the torque when the marks line up.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Font Art Auto part Slope Drawing

From the service manual, it appears the torque spec for these bolts is 49 N*M(5.0 kgf*m, 36 lbf*ft) however those black X marks you see by the bolts is indicated to mean they should be replaced. so these might be one-time use bolts that stretch when torqued and if you try to retorque the bolts you removed it might strip threads or not seat properly.

btw you should google accord service manual, theres a link to download it somewhere in a forum I can't remember where. but it has everything u would need

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for taking the time. You are a life saver! I tried all day to search for the manual but was unsuccessful. I will try again. I will also get a new bolt as advised!

Found the torque spec on the forum like you suggested. Don’t know how I missed this earlier! Sorry to trouble you and thanks again for taking the time to look and reply.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Found the torque spec on the forum like you suggested. Don’t know how I missed this earlier! Sorry to trouble you and thanks again for taking the time to look and reply.
no problemo, i like trying to help people. how come you are removing/reinstalling oilpan? are you doing some maintenance or is there an oil leak? just curious to know more about this kind of stuff in case it is something i might try to do down the road. let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, it’s because I am an idiot. Was doing an oil change and got distracted. Instead of loosening the drain bolt, I loosened the bracket bolt (both 17 mm heads)! Oil change went fine but now I gotta spend time and money getting the bracket bolted to spec. Doh!

·
Registered
137 Posts
No, it’s because I am an idiot. Was doing an oil change and got distracted. Instead of loosening the drain bolt, I loosened the bracket bolt (both 17 mm heads)! Oil change went fine but now I gotta spend time and money getting the bracket bolted to spec. Doh!
lmaooo oh man that is rough. yea it might be that maybe it is not necessary to replace those bolts, maybe a more experienced person could comment on that. that sucks though, especially since they label 'oil ->" next to the drain plug hahah

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's still why I change my own oil, garages do stuff like this and don't tell you.
Totally agree. The other car I have, I did take to the dealership the first couple of years. Then I started doing my own work and found missing or over torqued bolts that they never told me about. Scratches in the paint. Chipped calipers. The list is endless.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ouch! Why did you need a replacement though? If you removed it, could you not reverse the steps and install the same motor?
Unfortunately, a ball bearing had fallen out from the starter motor and I couldn't get it (the ball bearing) back into place. Did re-install the starter, but it wouldn't work. Had to have my truck towed to Nissan dealer. They did a good job on the replacement. Haven't had any trouble with it since and that was way back in 2009.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Totally agree. The other car I have, I did take to the dealership the first couple of years. Then I started doing my own work and found missing or over torqued bolts that they never told me about. Scratches in the paint. Chipped calipers. The list is endless.
Heard too many horror stories. I tell friends at least check your oil level when you leave an oil change place :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's still why I change my own oil, garages do stuff like this and don't tell you.
This is the way.

I've gotten burned so much in the past, I'll even go as far as taking the wheels off the car to get them changed if I need new tires. Auto shops ALWAYS use an impact wrench and go WAY WAY over torque spec on lug nuts. One time they did this and it snapped a lug nut off and didn't even say anything. I got the car home and ask them about it and they said it was fine to drive on 4 out of 5 lug nuts. I was fuming. F that!

·
Registered
531 Posts
This is the way.

I've gotten burned so much in the past, I'll even go as far as taking the wheels off the car to get them changed if I need new tires. Auto shops ALWAYS use an impact wrench and go WAY WAY over torque spec on lug nuts. One time they did this and it snapped a lug nut off and didn't even say anything. I got the car home and ask them about it and they said it was fine to drive on 4 out of 5 lug nuts. I was fuming. F that!
yea they messed up a lug nut on my wife's rogue and said " it was like that when it came in"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts