Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is related to the post I just posted awhile ago. I will go ahead and show my ignorance. I have a small oil leak in my 98 Accord VTEC 3.0. Seems to originate from a bolt in the block directly above the oil pan drain plug. Searched online and found some Honda parts stores with diagrams and it looks to be part # 90040-P8A-A01, Bolt-Drain Plug. Is this an oil drain or is it a coolant drain. I am no mechanic and don't know why there would be an oil drain plug in the block.

bfa

·
one wheel drive
859 Posts
Mine's wet down there too, it's on the to-do list and when I think I have an answer I'll report.. Those allen bolts are part of the oil pump housing and, just a guess, are for accessories.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That bolt is a moot point for my leak now since i found the leak location and it is not from there. But the bolt I was talking about is actually in the block not the oil pump. You have the oil pan drain bolt, above that the main bearing cap side bolt, then above that is the bolt I was asking about. It was wet until I washed the underside. I "painted" the underside in the suspected leak areas with generic ($2.00) athletes foot powder spray from Wal-mart. It was cheaper than the powder spray deoderant:D. It left a bright white powder. I ran the car for half an hour and climbed under. The leak showed up like a turd in the snow. I have a seep where the oil pump joins the block. Oil was blowing around when I drove sending me on a goose chase to find the leak. I am due for a trans rebuild and they are going to address the oil leak while there. Try the powder spray. It works. And my engine block is fungus free. :lmao::lmao:

bfa

1 - 3 of 3 Posts