Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Crystal Black Pearle Accord Touring
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9th gen accord v6 touring. I was driving along today at 45 mph and suddenly, the oil pressure light comes on, the car won't accelerate and starts shaking. I pulled off the side of the road and looked underneath and there is oil all underneath the passenger side only. Oil pan and filter looks fine. Towed it home and took off the passenger front tire. Attached some photos. Something like this says to me that something busted, like a hose or filter. Upon visual inspection, i don't see anything 'busted'. What else could cause this kinda oil spillage? There's 0 oil on or around the pan. The oil seems to start around the filter

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
1,236 Posts
Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes i did remove the filter. No holes in the filter and when it first happened, the filter was oil free. Some googling suggest the VTC solenoid

Double gasketing the filter?
No on the double gasketing. However, when i removed the filter, it looked like some of the old gasket was stuck to the oil filter holder. I'm going to get a fram filter and some quaker state oil. Install the fram filter and put 5 quarts of quaker state oil in it. My thinking is with an oil spill like this, there's a good chance i will 'see' where the oil starts leaking. If i see nothing, i *may start the car for a few seconds and listen for any engine knocks/ticks and then shut off. Then inspect for any oil leaks

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
You have to clean that mess up...no way are we going to know from those pics what's leaking and what isn't....
Spray it down clean w/brake cleaner and watch for leaks. When you're done driving for the day, see if you can put a piece of cardboard under where the suspected leak is, and take a look at it in the morning.

You can't do that with oil all over the place.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i cleaned the oil up and put a new filter and new oil in the car then started it. It sounded like a piston was knocking around the inside of the engine and oil spewed out. I just couldn't tell where it was spewing out. Oil spews out when running. I don't see any hoses or parts that would spew oil. Sounds like an engine replacement, would you agree?

Found it! Not sure how this happens when i had just driven the car 2 hrs before this happens without any warning lights, no noise?

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
1,236 Posts
Looks like you threw a rod. Comes with the territory of being low on oil.

Reactions: Rygrego

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
How many miles are on this engine?

Is it still within Honda's 5yr/60k power train warranty? Hopefully yes, but I'd contact Honda ASAP even if it's (slightly) beyond the warranty and get a case number.

That may be a backup plan if the oil change place refuses to take full responsibility, which they likely won't do without a lawsuit. And file a complaint with your State's automotive repair oversight division too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts