Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on the research I've done, it seems like using an oil catch can on a DI engine is a generally good idea. I've seen videos of people pouring out full oil catch cans, but here's the thing: they're never coming out of Honda Earth Dream engines.

Every reply I've read or video I've seen of a modern Honda owner looking into their oil catch can have been the same: very little oil. Is it even necessary to get one of these? Is there something about these new Honda DI engines that causes them to be more efficient when it comes to the operation of the DI system?

I do want to keep my car for the long term and I'm willing to put in the effort of installing the catch can and maintaining it, I just don't know if it's even necessary. Plus, I don't like the idea of it freezing in the winter and becoming a total nuisance.

What do you guys think? Have any of you considered getting one and then decided against it? What was your reasoning? Do you plan on putting one of those borescope cameras inside your intake at 75k or 100k miles to visually inspect the carbon build-up?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I took my Sport home on Dec 1 2019 and bought a catch can by the end of the year. I just installed it last week at about 19k. checked the dipstick at 300 miles of use, saw nothing. i'll open it up this week if i remember. I'm expecting nothing but we will see

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use Mishimoto and I check it every 10K km and find just little, but the question remains, will this little have a negative impact on the longevity of the engine in the long run? For me, it's worth the investment if I intend to keep driving the car for years

·
Registered
86 Posts
I use Mishimoto and I check it every 10K km and find just little, but the question remains, will this little have a negative impact on the longevity of the engine in the long run? For me, it's worth the investment if I intend to keep driving the car for years
Anything to give you as a car owner peace of mind is good.

But millions of people have used cars without an oil catch can and it has lasted well over 250,000 miles.

So, if you are not one of those who plan to keep a car for like 10 years or over 250,000 miles, then I don't know how much this helps a car stay healthier than someone who does not have one and keeps their car over 10 years also.

The car I let go to replace with my HAH was a 2008 Maxima that I bought brand new in 2008. I drove that car hard and super fast from day 1 till the day the CVT went out. 12 years, and over 268,000 miles before I let it go because transmission went out. No oil catch can. Just good maintenance. Car drove great till its last road trip with me when the transmission went out.

A very long time ago, I had a 1992 Toyota Camry
I bought it with 150,000 miles on it. I sold it after 5 years with 275,000 miles on it. I saw the car like 2 years later at a local apartment and screamed. I had to go check it out. It had over 310,000 miles on it. I never had oil catch can. I am sure the new owner never put an oil catch can either.

So, I don't know how necessary that catch can is. But anything a car owner does to their car, as long as it gives them peace of mind, is good.

I always tell people. Anybody should do whatever they want to their car. They bought it and they paid, pay or are paying for it. So, anything anybody wishes to do to their car is ok, especially if it gives them satisfaction and peace of mind.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you live where the temps go below freezing you'll find instead of a small amount of oil blow by in your catch can there will be a pretty good amount of chocolate milk-like condensation along with the normal blow by. There are threads here that discuss the condensate in our 10th gen Accords.

·
More cars, more problems
91 Posts
In my opinion the last thing I want to do is introduce more places to have a future vacuum leak. So that's a pass for me.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I agree totally with PetitFrere (Little Brother)! If it makes you happy, do it! I personally don't think it's necessary and so I won't.

That said, I decided I wanted a dashcam in my vehicles, so I installed one in both, and, I put wire screen over the ACC radar and the rest of the radiators in my Accord since I've certainly had rock damage to the front of vehicles in the past. The same logic led me to have paint protection film installed on my vehicles.

I also won't try to save pennies on third-party oil, coolants, and the like. I'll stick with what Honda recommends.

As was said, it's YOUR car! YOU get to make the decisions.

- Jack

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Don't bother. I did install one (Mishimoto) (want to buy mine? Accord 2019 ready.)

In the winter there is a shmoo that is mainly (I believe) gasoline fractions from the engine oil. That should be burned in the combustion process - and (what little there is) will help clean the valves (though so little that's wishful at best).

There is a very little beige schmoo - almost all of that will also get burned. Not much of what the catchcan collects will stick to the valves.

The stuff that sticks to the valves does not come from the PCV circuit but from the EGR (whatever it's called on the Accord). And those gases do not go through the PCV circuit and will (in time) coat your valves.

In the summer, hardly anything.

So I removed it and it's available if you want it. Easy to install - though removing the Honda PCV tube was a little hard.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
In my opinion the last thing I want to do is introduce more places to have a future vacuum leak. So that's a pass for me.
The kit from Mishi is very much not likely to be a vacuum leak source. Good materials. Indeed tougher IMO than the OEM tube that you remove.

That said, no need for this add on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts