Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2003 EX-V6 Navi Coupe going on 9 years now, and I love it more than I've ever loved any inanimate object. It's still in showroom condition with 78k miles.

Had her at the dealership for an oil change this weekend and test drove a 2013 EX-V6 Navi 6MT (even the same color as mine). I liked it a lot, but I still almost feel like I like my old car more. Between my low-mileage trade-in and a couple grand down, I could drive it home for like $250 a month.

My question is, who here has upgraded from a 7th Gen to a 9th Gen? Is it worth trading in my favorite thing I own? If you did the same, are you happy?

I'm conflicted, you guys. Help!

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
Totally worth it. I owned an 04 EX-L V6 Nav coupe for many years. The 9th gen car is much more refined in all aspects. It's much quieter inside, handles better, better mpg, tighter chassis, more power, way better seats(hated the 7ths) and lots more bells and whistles. The only thing the old 7th gen was better at was handling rough/uneven roads... It soaked them up very well whereas the 9th gens will toss you around alittle due to the McPherson suspension setup. It's definitely manageable, but I just wanted to point that out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
my partner has a 7 gen, and the difference is huge. Everything about the accord has been advanced a considerable amount. The cars are worlds apart, even when new. I remember getting into a new 7th gen when they first came out and thinking how huge it was inside and how comfortable. The 9th gen does that to the 7th gen.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Not my opinion, just from what some 7th gen guys want. Until ECU and performance upgrades are abundant the 9th gen will be to the way side. 8th gen would be the step up once Hondata or AEM gets their acts together.

With any car older than 15 years you are going to notice a change with newer tech.

The only real advantage with an 9th gen is CVT I4, everything else is just user experience. Some like techy stuff others like to drive.

One thing I do like on older gens is the simplicity of the instrument panel. Touch screen and integration with the head unit is just more effort and distraction that what it is worth. Now that tablets have the right sized screens and power to boot, who needs Navi and limited access to connectivity and playing videos.

For me a double wishbone is better in handling and I get almost 34 MPG with my V6 VCM and 21 MPG at home with 2 mile runs to work and to home. With the few bolt-on mods I have a good deal of power that I won't get back with the 9th gen VCM engine. I barely can use 1st gear in winter driving. Good thing Honda allows 2nd and 3rd from stand still when selected. Second I do not like electric power steering. Too fake for me, feels like a game control to me. Yep, that is one reason I don't play video games. I expect natural feel with performance. So, my 8th gen will be the last Honda I will ever buy. May be forced into FRZ AWD if and when they come out, or a used WRX STI. They don't get abused where I live, as they are more of a status symbol. With single techie guys.

Just my 2 cents and some input from 7th gen guys who don't follow this thread as if it were a hot item.

·
Registered
924 Posts
i upgraded from a 7th gen and love it. however, you have super low miles for a 2003 after 9 years and im guessing the car is paid off? mine had 200k miles on it when i traded it in and probably coulda gone for a lot more. has yours ever given you any problems? my 7th gen never had issues except for a rear brake caliper that needed fixed and other than that nothing. if i didnt have so many miles on it i woulda kept mine since it was paid off. its very nice not having a 250 a month payment when you have plenty of other bills.

that being said, if you do decide you want to trade it in, you wont be disappointed. i didnt have a 7th gen coupe but got one when i got the 9th. it isnt the v6 6mt but i love mine and only hear about how the v6 is even better. pretty much everything i upgraded with my 7th gen i either transferred over to the 9th or did to it, which wasnt much since you dont need much as far as upgrades. i added my basslink and short shift adapter from the 7th and had the windows tinted and everything is perfect for me. but now i have a car payment again lol.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
Not an upgrade....they are two different cars, serving two different owners.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would hold on to your current car. It's in great shape and you love it and it's paid for. What more can you ask?? I still miss my 99 accord. That was my favorite car to date. I bought it 3 years old and had it 7 years before trading it for an '06 V6-6MT sedan. The 1999 was starting to rust and was beat up from years in the northeast winters. I love my 2013 accord, but I don't have the same bond with it that I had with my 99. Definitely love the smart entry, rear view camera, and bluetooth. But, it's not worth the risk of going from a car you love to $250/month and no increased enjoyment.

If you do decide to upgrade, definitely stay with the V6-6MT. I miss that big time from my '06 sedan. That's the only thing I miss from my '06. The rest of the 2013 car is miles ahead. I went with the 4cylinder for cost reasons, and it gets the job done. I do a lot of short trips and the V6 got pretty bad gas mileage with my driving habits (averaged 17mpg city). The CVT is pretty good on the new car and I get a lot better mileage. Would likely have sprung for the V6 if I had to do it over. I figured an automatic car wouldn't be as exciting either way, but I sort of wish I still had the v6 power at my foot (my wife can't drive manual and refused to learn despite my best efforts).

just my thoughts...

·
Formerly 00Accord4cyl
80 Posts
I know this is not exactly what you asked, but I used to own a 6th gen accord that I loved and my mom has an 8th gen. After driving my new 9th gen for a few months I could never go back to the other generations. I have driven my mom's 8th gen a few times and it is amazing the difference. The 9th gen is quieter, rides smoother, and is more comfortable, not to mention all of the extra technology gadgets it has. I know lots of people do not like the electric power steering, but I really like having it. The CVT has also been nice, but took a few weeks to get used to.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you like your current car and it's in decent mechanical condition you should just keep it unless you're dying to spend money. And in that case, I would look for a car that serves a different segment, such as a more tossable weekend ride car or step up to a luxury ride.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I had an 07 accord and now have a 14 exl v6. Love the new accord. My favorite new car ever.

·
Mod it or don't drive it
965 Posts
I have an 8th gen and a 9th gen and would not be happy with just one or the other.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
I upgraded from an '03 Accord LX 5MT to a '13 EX 6MT and I couldn't be happier.

·
Banned
784 Posts
The road noise on 7th is just really loud and bad. It is okay for super old people with bad hearing but if you have some hearing left, the noise really tires you out on a long trip. A 9th Gen is very good and it is a much safer car so if you can afford (or want to do) it, I would transition from 7th to 9th.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had, well still have a 06 Coupe. My daughter drives the 06 now so still in the family. I now have a 13 couple. Several things I like about the 06 better and several I like the 13 better.
06 - Split rear fold down seats in the back. The 13 no split the whole thing lays down and I really liked the split better.
Heated seats seemed to work better on the 06.
Still love the looks of the 06.
Don't know what people are talking about on road noise , put good tires on it Michelins) rides great and no road noise.

13- love the push button start and not having to have the key fob or remote in your hand to lock / unlock
Better fuel mileage
Love the looks
My opinion the 13 handles better

To be honest love both cars.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
What's with all the haters on here bashing the 7th Gen? Hey Einstein, you did not "upgrade"- you just bought a new car. Get your head out of your arse and into your finance software to figure out your new car payments and increased insurance premiums!

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
What's with all the haters on here bashing the 7th Gen?
Has anyone "hated on" the 7th generation?

I drove mine for ten years and loved it.

One cannot deny that the 9th generation has feature that not too long ago were limited to luxury cars and I love each and every one, mostly.

There is one thing about the front suspension and that is that I think the 9th generation handles better with the McPherson struts than the 7th generation did with the double wishbone and the 7th gen was not slouch in its class with the right tires, of course. Also with some adjustment, the electric steering is as gratifying as the hydraulic-assist steering of the 7th generation.

·
5 Speed CVT
148 Posts
upgraded from 2003 accord LX to 2013 accord EX-L. I still love both car. Pass it down to my brother, i think it hits 130K miles already and still running strong.. honda does make a car that last really long.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Went from and 04 EXL V6 to an 14 EX V6, both sedans. If yours is fine, I'd wait about 2 years for the 9.5 generation. I had tokico blue struts on the 04 for the last 50,000 miles and the handling was comparable to the 14.

Things i like better on the 7th Gen:
-the steering wheel had a slight texture to it.
-radio controls on the steering wheel. on the 7th gen, if you tapped + on the channel, you went to the next song and if you held it down, it fast forwarded. on the 14, tapping the right arrow selects the next song and holding it down selects the next folder.
-center armrest slid forward
-if you drive with your seatback in an upright position, it's harder to get comfortable in the 14. The headrests tilt more forward in the 14 so I lean my seatback more.
-wiper blades streaked less
-I think the steering wheel telescopes closer to the driver on the 7th gen
-I think you can tilt the driver's seat more on 7th gen if you like having the front part higher than back part of the seat

1 - 20 of 21 Posts