Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have a 03 accord with roughly 190,000 miles old puppy :notworthy.. im a college kid and my mom gave me the car in ok condition. The car needs motor mounts badly. I read around the forums about people changing them but how do you guys feel about aftermarket ones? im sorta broke and cant spend the oem money. What do you think. And good places to get aftermarket mounts.. thanks... btw marry christmas everyone !

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
The best place to start is to determine which mounts need to be replaced and look up the price difference. The best place to do this is rockauto.com and majestic Honda at https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

You can lookup the factory part and cost and the aftermarket prices.

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
90 seems high for a aftermarket mount I would check around for a lower price . You should be fine with a aftermarket on this

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks also would you replace all three? I really feel the engine torque when the brake and gas are pressed.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
90 seems high for a aftermarket mount I would check around for a lower price . You should be fine with a aftermarket on this
I remember reading threads where the aftermarkets fail quickly. OP might want to save up and get OEM.

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
I remember reading threads where the aftermarkets fail quickly. OP might want to save up and get OEM.
I remember that too but those we mostly all v6 models if has the 4 banger which uses the same mount as the v6 and the v6 Odyssey but has to endure much less torque loads and therefore he should be ok. I found some for $68 and included a 12 month and a 12,000 mile warranty .

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
its a v6 lol... umm how long did the aftermarket ones last?
you never stated what you had so I assumed you had the 4 but you still get the 12 month warranty and 12k miles it could last 50 miles or 500,000 I am sure that not every aftermarket mount fails early say under 30k or so but if it were me and the savings could be used for something else right now I would install the less expensive and take the chance just make sure you torque the mount correctly . Mount life has a lot to do with your driving habits , You also if you have a automatic they take more abuse as everytime you put it into drive with the brake applied the mount works harder that if a mt transmission.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok thank you sorry i didn't specify engine. the car already has a lot of miles so more of a needs of transportation. Any aftermarket brands you would recomend or just pick from rockland.. i see a couple of brands if any one has experence with any of them that would be great. thanks Fast4door

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,679 Posts
I have an 03 auto V6 with all good original mounts. I think flooring it from a stop, or at low speeds, puts more pressure on the mounts than just sitting still in Drive with the brakes on. Doing things like holding the brakes, and pushing down on the accelerator to spin the tires, is definitely going to break something. I try not to floor it until the car is rolling at 30mph, at least. Take it easy on your mounts, and they will last IMO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
O i understand i only held the breaks and the gas to test how bad the mounts were not to spin tires. It was my mothers car she is sorta a rought driver if i must say lol. i need it for school so i personally baby the thing :)

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Would you mind telling us how you came to the conclusion that you needed new mounts? You stated that you can really "feel the engine's torque when you press the brake and the gas". I have no idea what the heck that means.....

Does your engine move when you rev it while in park? Have you ever looked at it with the hood open while it revs? How much does it move?

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you order from Rock Auto, here is a 5% discount: 1926020016864148

Use it like this:

Enter the code above in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Apply" button to the right of the field. Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your parts order total. Orders using discount codes must be placed online. Phone orders are not eligible for discounts.

Got the discount code because I ordered from them not so long ago...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I ordered oem front mount from Bernardi Honda for 90 + Shipping. If you can swing it, at least have the front one which is the vacuum hydraulic one OEM... I'd recommend engine OEM and tranny Aftermarket if you want to save a little.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ebay would be the cheapest place for OEM mounts. And I would certainly suggest OEM for something as important as engine mounts.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,165 Posts
If you were able to get 190,000 miles out of the original Honda motor mounts then I wouldn't say your mother "is sorta a rought driver." 190,000 miles on the original motor mounts is pretty darn good if you ask me. Now, if you got less than 100,000 miles, then I'd agree with you that your mom is a bit of a "rought driver."

Personally, I'd go with the Honda motor mounts unless you're harder on the car than your mom is (i.e. you like to launch the car from a stop, you like to mash on the gas pedal, you take the car to the drag strip, etc.). Mashing on the gas pedal is what puts the most stress on the mounts and lead to their failure.

If you like to mash on the gas pedal/push the car, then go with after market performance motor mounts such as those from Innovative (lifetime warranty) or XLR8 Performance. They're probably about the same price as the OEM Honda part or maybe a bit more, but they're also designed to last longer. They come in higher durometer ratings (e.g. 75A, 85A, 95A) vs OEM and OEM equivalents. The higher the durometer rating the better it is at preventing the engine from moving and thus tearing the mount. The cheap after market mounts use lower quality rubber (tear easily) and steel.

If I remember correctly, the OEM Honda mounts have a durometer rating in the mid to upper 50's. If you like to push the car and also want the mounts to last longer, then get motor mounts with a durometer rating that's 70 or higher. The trade off to stiffer mounts is more cabin noise and vibration, but since they're stiffer the engine isn't going to move and you'll get better power deliver and traction.

If you really can't afford the Honda mounts and you're not hard on the car (i.e. you drive like a grandma), then look into the Beck Arnley mounts. They're pretty decent. I'd personally stay away from DEA and Anchor.

If your front mount is bad, then you might also need to change the side passenger mount as well. It's very likely that that one is bad or is going bad too. It's like a domino effect, once the front one goes, the side one follows shortly after.... unless you catch the front one going bad early enough and replace it ASAP.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts