Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new to the forum. I have a couple of questions if anybody doesn't mind answering. Im looking into buying an 8th gen accord, preferably probably around a 2009. I love the coupe. Currently i have a BMW e46, its definitely a fun car to drive but i've had the car for two years and had alot of problems and expensive repairs with it despite fairly low mileage. I have always loved the accord, but am unfamiliar with how they are made these days.... so i had some questions.

Assuming the car i will buy is fairly well kept and everything checks out. These are supposed to be very reliable cars.......

What am i looking at in terms of potential problems? I read the 08 tends to have more problems than the 09 and later models.

If there are issues with the car how expensive would potential repairs be?

I remember having a 2000 honda and its lasted a while. In terms of longevity, if i bought something with 60k on it, if i maintain it well is it safe to assume it will last me another 100k miles?

Thank you to anyone that may reply.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The accord is pretty reliable, i bought my 06 with 45k miles and i'm now at 147k miles and it has never broken down on me. Only issues i've had is a dead battery at 100k miles and had to replace the power steering pump.

Now i need to replace the compliance bushings cos my suspension feels wobbly but i think the duckers at the dealer ducked with them cos before i took it to them my car felt solid. Anyway, im taking it to a different dealer to have them replaced or maybe pay my buddy to do it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
alot depends on if you are buying the i4 or V6 version. both are considered reliable, but the V6 models are known to have issues with excessive oil consumption. Timing belt on the V6 should be good to 100k, other than that these cars are very reliable and inexpensive to fix...

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
OEM parts are relatively cheap and with the service manual available you're only limited by the size of your testicles and what you're willing to attempt yourself. I'm going to miss it when I move to a performance brand.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Timing belt on the V6 should be good to 100k, other than that these cars are very reliable and inexpensive to fix...
Actually, I the I4 has the timing chain that are good for 100K. V6 has timing belts that I think needs to change around 60k.

I bought my 08' I4 a few years ago, solid car, easy to maintain (except for changing the damn headlight bulbs).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I was doing some research the past couple of days and i did see that the 2008 model had the most complaints, the majority of these had to do with the excessive oil consumption.

I will be in the market more for the 4 cylinder for several reasons. So the potential issues would be less frequent with this type of engine?

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,003 Posts
Actually, I the I4 has the timing chain that are good for 100K. V6 has timing belts that I think needs to change around 60k.

I bought my 08' I4 a few years ago, solid car, easy to maintain (except for changing the damn headlight bulbs).
Actually, the I4 has a timing chain which is (per Honda) good for the life of the vehicle, though the tensioner is another story.

The V6 has a timing belt which is (per Honda) good until 105K at which time you want to change it along with the spark plugs, water pump, serpentine belt, and coolant.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Actually, the I4 has a timing chain which is (per Honda) good for the life of the vehicle, though the tensioner is another story.

The V6 has a timing belt which is (per Honda) good until 105K at which time you want to change it along with the spark plugs, water pump, serpentine belt, and coolant.
I stand corrected.

·
Banned
546 Posts
alot depends on if you are buying the i4 or V6 version. both are considered reliable, but the V6 models are known to have issues with excessive oil consumption. Timing belt on the V6 should be good to 100k, other than that these cars are very reliable and inexpensive to fix...
What is with all of these posts about V6s having excessive oil consumption? I've been noticing them popping up more and more the past year

My 7th gen V6 with 161k miles on it has no oil consumption issues at all. Zero oil lost/burnt in between 7.5k mile OCIs

Sounds like people running the dog piss out of them to me...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts