Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to replace their original Michelin Primacys? My 13 V6 sedan has 42k on it and all four need to be replaced and the tires have a 60k mile warranty. Will they replace them for free?

·
Registered
298 Posts
You will get a credit based on the useable tred life assuming you did proper documented tire maintenance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean by proper maintenance? I get my tires rotated as told to do so by my Honda Dealer.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Its very, very difficult to get tires replaced under the tire manufacturer warranty. If you read all the exclusions, you'll understand why. In short, there's no way they're going to replace your tires for free just b/c they wore prematurely.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
^..x2 Actually, 42K is reasonably decent tread life for these tires on this car for most folk. Whatever few $$ you may be eventually able to recover pro rata isn't going to be worth your time, effort, and frustration in any event.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good luck with that one. Honda doesnt offer a warranty on tires and I doubt many tire shops are going to give you a credit on tires that are over half worn out.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Good luck with that one. Honda doesn't offer a warranty on tires and I doubt many tire shops are going to give you a credit on tires that are over half worn out.
Good additional point....any claim has to go through Michelin, not the dealer.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Has anyone tried to replace their original Michelin Primacys? My 13 V6 sedan has 42k on it and all four need to be replaced and the tires have a 60k mile warranty. Will they replace them for free?
I highly doubt you will get a tire covered under warranty because its worn out at 42k. in fact id say that you did pretty well with the tires. what kind of tire warranty was it? was it just a road hazard warranty? I have never heard of a warranty that guarantees 60k before they wear out. if there is one out there id love to hear more about it!

On another note, those tires have to be the worst tires i have ever driven on. If you check out the ratings on tirerack or other sites, most people feel the same. They are quite expensive if i remember correctly. you can get a much better tire for a lot less in my opinion. but my opinion on what makes a good tire is biased, as i am a very aggressive driver.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
My 2000 Accord also came with Michelin MXV tires which lasted about 35,000 miles. I replaced them with the same tires and again got about 35,000 miles. I switched to Goodrich TA radials that were cheaper and lasted nearly twice as long. The Diffrence in the ride quality and handling was negligible.

·
Banned
233 Posts
I got less than 30K out of my Primacys MXV4, but I purchased them at DiscountTire and DT filed a claim for me. The claim was approved pretty much instantly cuz Michelin was aware of the wear issue and credited me toward another set of Michelins. As many Michelins I and my relatives had they never last, so per my request DT switched it to the store credit and I ended up buying Pirelli P7 Plus.
Call Michelin support and see what they would say.

·
RacerRik
172 Posts
Discount Tire is awesome! They are the only place that has ever honored a tread wear mileage warranty for me. Every other tire shop I have attempted to get anything back has come up with a million excuses as to why they could not / would not honor tread wear warranties. These tire shops will tell you your alignment is off so that wore out your tires early. Or you did not rotate the tires often enough. Or you don't have proof that you rotated the tires enough. Or you over inflated the tires. Or under inflated the tires.....

I had one place tell me they would not honor the warranty because I could not prove the alignment was in spec. I told them fine, put it on your rack and check it - if the alignment is perfect, then you need to honor the warranty. So they did and the alignment was perfect!

They then had to get the store manager involved. He said he needed to see receipts from my tire rotations or he would not be able to warranty the tires. I told him the about the agreement I had with his worker and he said the worker did not have the authority to make such an agreement. He said again he needed to see receipts from every tire rotation. I told him I rotate the tires myself at each oil change - which I also do myself. So he says, sorry we cannot honor the warranty then. BS! I will never buy tires from that place again.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I got less than 30K out of my Primacys MXV4
I got over 66k miles out of my Primacy MXV4s (legitimately, I didn't push them too far). I can only hope my new Goodyears will do as well.

Before the Primacys I had a set of Michelin Pilot Primacys that were only good for 30k. And before that the OEM tires (no recollection whatsoever of what they were) were good for nearly 50k.

The MXV4s were the longest lasting tire I've ever had on any vehicle, weird that you had the opposite experience. But like crmplex said, they were expensive.

(Now I need to write all this down, had to look up records and subtract miles spent on winter tires to get these figures.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
New tires

Call Michelin first. You MAY get a partial credit, but definitely not for free. Note that Michelin's in general, are more expensive than some of the competition. I suggest you check out tirerack.com for their ratings, and surveys from the general public.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS

The Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus would be my choice for a tire in the same category as the Primacys.... or ExtremeContact DWS for an Ultra High Performance AS. :banana::banana::banana:

·
Registered
933 Posts
I got over 66k miles out of my Primacy MXV4s (legitimately, I didn't push them too far). I can only hope my new Goodyears will do as well.

Don't bet on it.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Consider tires from this perspective;

How many miles do you plan on putting on the tire over a particular period of time. Tires have a shelf life too. Figure 5 years is the typical tire life span before it starts cracking and becomes a danger due to age rather than wear.

Going with a 70K mile tire means ~14K miles a year over the 5 years. If driving habits are less than this, i'd go with a softer tire. One pays a non monetary price for high mileage tires. Handling, performance, precision will not be there with a 700 treadwear tire. Rolling bricks.

I'm not sure what we'll put on our car after the goodyears are shot. Probably some michelin or continental tire.

Reactions: Slides

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I drive 16-17k miles a year and I only have a year left on my lease. Should I just get some no name tires to get me through at most one year? Thanks to all for the help.

P.S. My precious car was a 2009 accord 4 cyl and I had the OE tires on it until I traded it in with 63k miles on it. Michelin Pilot HX MXM4s.

·
Yes, I'm a girl.
1,649 Posts
I'd avoid the Goodyear LS2 unless you never see any snow. Worst tire I have ever had in snow. I'll be running them in the summer only and picking up some winter rubber.

·
The Shadow displaced Bug Magnet
2020 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T in Modern Steel Metallic
490 Posts
Should I just get some no name tires to get me through at most one year? Thanks to all for the help.
What is the price differential between these "no-name" tires and tires from one of the "name" companies?

Tirerack has BFGoodrich tires for $115 per tire, Goodyear for $104, Pirelli for $119 and Dunlop for $96. GOK brands (God only knows) as cheap as $80

Personally I am going to buy a brand of tires that automotive manufacturers that I respect choose as being suitable for OEM tires and the local tire store is proud to advertise on their letterhead (TV ads, store windows etc) and I have heard discussed on major forums.

Saving $100 on a set of 4 tires and buying GOK just doesn't make much sense unless you trading the car in sometime in the next 24 hours.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts