Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I got a deal from a dealership in Ann Arbor, MI for $22,500 OTD for Accord LX-P without any options or accessories and feel that it's too high.

What do you think? Could anyone tell their OTD price they paid for the LX-P?

Thanks a lot

·
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!
3,914 Posts
I got a deal from a dealership in Ann Arbor, MI for $22,500 OTD for Accord LX-P
We have a dedicated thread for this w/ 100's of similar inquiries/queries which would provide you w/ excellent insight & info', as well as what many others paid! Hence, use the search next time. . .

Also, you failed to mention whether the '09 Accord LX-P sedan in question is an automatic or manual-transmission ($800 difference).

Another thing to add is that the '09 Accord LX-P sedan's MSRP is ~$400 more than the '08 Accord LX-P sedan's.

Nonetheless, in lieu of the current economy & overall vehicle sales, obviously aim for below actual invoice (actual invoice = invoice + $670 destination charge). Check Yahoo!/MSN/CarsDirect/Edmunds for what invoice is and add the destination charge. Also, read-up on Edmunds' "Townhall" forum on what people are paying for '09 Accords. IMHO, that's the best source around for real-time pricing.

As time passes, more of a discount below actual invoice will become a reality. Also, call-around and see what high-volume Honda dealers are moving their '09s for. Generally, they offer the best prices anywhere.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My friend got an Accord 08 LX-P Sedab AT in early July for 19698(including destination fee, $298 doc fee) before TTL(total OTD=20754 w/ 5% tax and DMV)

From our research, 09 is around $500~800 more than 08 at this point, so I would offer them $19500, with tax and registration is around $21000 OTD for you.

Let me know if you need more detail on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My friend got an Accord 08 LX-P Sedab AT in early July for 19698(including destination fee, $298 doc fee) before TTL(total OTD=20754 w/ 5% tax and DMV)

From our research, 09 is around $500~800 more than 08 at this point, so I would offer them $19500, with tax and registration is around $21000 OTD for you.

Let me know if you need more detail on it.
Thanks, 06AccordEX. I live in Michigan where the sales tax is 6%. And I do not have a car, so I am not eligible for a transfer plate.

The best quote I can get right now is $22,299 OTD with a new plate. But as you said it should be 21k and many people got around that number, I have a feeling being ripped off.

What kind of strategy could I use?

Thanks for your help!

·
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!
3,914 Posts
What kind of strategy could I use?
This...
Nonetheless, in lieu of the current economy & overall vehicle sales, obviously aim for below actual invoice (actual invoice = invoice + $670 destination charge). Check Yahoo!/MSN/CarsDirect/Edmunds for what invoice is and add the destination charge. Also, read-up on Edmunds' "Townhall" forum on what people are paying for '09 Accords. IMHO, that's the best source around for real-time pricing.

As time passes, more of a discount below actual invoice will become a reality. Also, call-around and see what high-volume Honda dealers are moving their '09s for. Generally, they offer the best prices anywhere.
Check dealer online inventories for an exact color-combo/trim-level you want. Email their internet sales manager. Go back-&-forth a few times in regards to prices. Don't be so keen on O.T.D. pricing, as of now. As aforementioned, aim for below actual-invoice. Worst-case scenario, go w/ $200 above invoice (dealer employee pricing). Once an offer is presented that you find acceptable, proceed w/ the acquisition/transaction. Make sure to not get suckered into excessive dealer-prep' costs, paperwork/contract/documentation fees, pricey dealer-installed accessories/options, etc'.

As aforementioned, determine what actual-invoice is from the sources mentioned above. Check Edmunds.com "Townhall" forum to see what people are paying in real-time.

Also, you're looking for an '09 model which has been out for less than one month & costs a few hundred dollars more than the outgoing '08 model. Yet, you want '08 pricing and on top of that, late 2008 clearance-pricing for '08 models. Be realistic, man! :rolleyes:

Now, go do your homework. As previously stated, there is an awesome thread already dedicated to prices-paid & negotiation strategies. You seem like an uninformed, aloof buyer... long-story, a dealership saleman's dream! Now change that. Only you can do that. Knowledge is key. Don't ask, but rather tell. Meaning, know what actual-invoice is for a particular model/trim-level and how much it's being discounted elsewhere. Do you even know what the actual-invoice is for the model/trim-level you want?

G/luck! :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This...

Check dealer online inventories for an exact color-combo/trim-level you want. Email their internet sales manager. Go back-&-forth a few times in regards to prices. Don't be so keen on O.T.D. pricing, as of now. As aforementioned, aim for below actual-invoice. Worst-case scenario, go w/ $200 above invoice (dealer employee pricing). Once an offer is presented that you find acceptable, proceed w/ the acquisition/transaction. Make sure to not get suckered into excessive dealer-prep' costs, paperwork/contract/documentation fees, pricey dealer-installed accessories/options, etc'.

As aforementioned, determine what actual-invoice is from the sources mentioned above. Check Edmunds.com "Townhall" forum to see what people are paying in real-time.

G/luck! :cool:
Thanks everyone for helpful tips.

I did check on Edmund's Townhall before posting my question here to find that people paid about 21,000 - 21,700 OTD for their 09 LX-P. I was aiming to pay for only $21k on it and have been contacting 3-4 dealerships around Michigan for 5-6 times each. The best price I could get even they beat each other is still $22,299.

The invoice, though, of this model is 21,126. Does the invoice price already include sales tax?

I'll try negotiate harder.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
by the way, I've been negotiating prices over tons of emails and a bunch of phone calls with Internet manager of 4-5 dealerships around the city in order to have them beat one another's price. It does not work out quite well because they do not believe that 22,299 OTD I got was real although I forward email with that quote to them. Some dealerships even stop emailing back to me. I simply aim $21,000 as other people paid for their same 09 LX-P sedan a/t.

I am very tired of this negotiation process, but do not want to get ripped off.

Any better strategy? Would walk-in to talk with Internet manager work better?

Could it be that the competition in Michigan is not powerful enough to pull the price down? Just out of my curiosity.

Please accept my apology if my posts are so ignorant and disturbing. It is my first time buying my first car.

Big thanks!

·
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!
3,914 Posts
Thanks everyone for helpful tips.

I did check on Edmund's Townhall before posting my question here to find that people paid about 21,000 - 21,700 OTD for their 09 LX-P. I was aiming to pay for only $21k on it and have been contacting 3-4 dealerships around Michigan for 5-6 times each. The best price I could get even they beat each other is still $22,299.

The invoice, though, of this model is 21,126. Does the invoice price already include sales tax?

I'll try negotiate harder.
Some basic numbers for you...

'09 Accord LX-P sedan w/ automatic-transmission
MSRP: $23,225
Invoice: $21,126

You wish to pay $21,000 O.T.D. (inclusive of state sales tax of 6%, registration/title costs, and license fee). That would put the discounted/negotiated price @ ~$19,000. That's over ~$4,225 off MSRP, meaning nearly 20% off MSRP so early in the model-year isn't likely (IMHO).

What are the exact costs for...

- State vehicle registration & title?
- State vehicle license plate (based on MSRP!)?
- State sales tax (6%)?

Keep in mind, the dealer also will likely charge a marginal inventory-tax & paperwork/documentation/contract fee.

Were the other "$21,000-$21,700 O.T.D. '09 Accord LX-P sedan w/ automatic-transmission" from Michigan, that you read about from Edmunds.com's "Townhall"?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did not mean to be aggressive.

I have been searching for LX-P price people pay from the townhall. I guess the $21,000 OTD folks are not from Michigan. One person bought it in CA.

The TTL fees (which I suppose it is registration, title, and plate included) is not more than $170 for this model. And price before tax I am offered is as low as $21,200 until the last quote I got including everything (TTL+tax+destination and all the fees) is 22,299.

·
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!
3,914 Posts
I did not mean to be aggressive...
That wasn't even perceived! We're all are here to help each-other out. Just have to be realistic, that's all. Also, not all 100% of the experiences posted on Edmund's "Townhall" are honest/accurate/relevant.

Often, individuals fail to mention that they traded-in something or another, or that they purchased an extended warranty sold @ an inflated price, or dealer-installed add'ons were later acquired (which generally is pure profit for the dealer, as their cost is literally pennies on the dollar for paint-protection packages, appearance-packages, fabric/interior sealant-protection, LoJack/alarm-systems, etc').

It's really unfathomable that so early into the 2009 model-year, a new '09 Accord would be discounted even more-so than the '08 model during Honda's model year-end clearance-events just a month ago!

If there have been others in Michigan who have acquired an '09 Accord LX-P sedan w/ automatic-transmission for $21,000 O.T.D. w/o trade-in or the crappe' I mentioned above, then by all means pursue it w/ diligence. I know, I would be doing the same... :cool:

Here is the thread that I keep alluding to...

"How MUCH did you pay for your Accords?"

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13996

And here is a site that gives insight into overall pricing trends, particularly % discounted across-the-board...

http://www.realcartips.com/2008-Honda-Accord-Prices

http://www.realcartips.com/2009-Honda-Accord-Prices

Perhaps now, you can see my hesitancy to substantiate that many are able to get near 20% off MSRP, so early into the model-year... even though it's a buyer's market, so to speak!

G/luck & keep up abreast of your progress... :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not sure what otd price means to anybody, as taxes and fees differ in states and counties, with that, I was quoted $20,426.46 for a 09 LX-P automatic trans.including destination charge.(NOT including taxes and fees.)Chicago burbs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm not sure what otd price means to anybody, as taxes and fees differ in states and counties, with that, I was quoted $20,426.46 for a 09 LX-P automatic trans.including destination charge.(NOT including taxes and fees.)Chicago burbs.
You are totally right about this. OTD is only meaningful to people in your state, or even in your county.

What really helps people is price before TTL since it does not include money paid to government.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts