Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though my wife drove over a curb by mistake, I am the first one to "draw blood" on my new car.

Lesson learned - be very careful when parallel parking along a curb, as apparently the tire doesn't help us very much here! I was slowly backing up along the curb when I hear a GRINNNNDDDD. Stop immediately, pull forward and out. Get out to see that I've left a nice bit of curb rash on my rear wheel. Only 258 miles on the car!

So what is best way to handle this? Take one of those 3M sanding "pad" things and just rub it down a little to take away the rough edges? Does it need to be painted or are these alloy wheels of an alloy that doesn't rust I think?

Attachments

·
2013 EX-L V6-6MT
348 Posts
I feel your pain. On the way to work on Friday, some dick tried to squeeze past me rather than letting me pass on a too narrow two-way street. So I had to hug the curb to avoid being side-swiped. I had to pull over to look at the damage rather than waiting to get to work. I was hoping that it sounded worse than it actually was, but I was wrong. About 1/2 the circumference is gouged. I'm not going to replace it, and fortunately, it's on the passenger side so I won't have to see it every time i get into the car. Ill probably do something like what you suggested to smooth out the rough edges. I take solace in knowing that it could easily have been the side of my car or at the least, my mirror that got hit, had I not pulled over.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel your pain. On the way to work on Friday, some dick tried to squeeze past me rather than letting me pass on a too narrow two-way street. So I had to hug the curb to avoid being side-swiped. I had to pull over to look at the damage rather than waiting to get to work. I was hoping that it sounded worse than it actually was, but I was wrong. About 1/2 the circumference is gouged. I'm not going to replace it, and fortunately, it's on the passenger side so I won't have to see it every time i get into the car. Ill probably do something like what you suggested to smooth out the rough edges. I take solace in knowing that it could easily have been the side of my car or at the least, my mirror that got hit, had I not pulled over.
In my other car, the tire would do the scraping first I think. While I don't like to scrape the sidewall of a tire either, I think I'd still prefer that over scraping the metal wheel all the time. I know the solution is to not park too close to the curb but sometimes it is hard.

I wish the lanewatch camera had a way to look straight down so you could see how far you were from the curb.

·
'13 Sport CVT white
112 Posts
Ouch!

Even though my wife drove over a curb by mistake, I am the first one to "draw blood" on my new car.
Don't feel bad, I did that to my sport a few months ago, it hurt me to hear that grinding, but it happens. I haven't done anything to mine, which looks just exactly like your scuff. I plan on doing something to it eventually. Possibly a small dremel type tool with a small sanding drum or grinding drum to get it smooth? That's kind of what I was thinking. Then maybe some touch-up paint.

I know it stinks to have it happen, but it's probably not noticeable at all, I bet -- in reality... in our minds... that's another story! :)

Let us know how you handle it.

TomZ

·
Registered
924 Posts
i just had a wheel scrape smoothed down from curb rash. the dealer usually has guys that fix these things. pdr, wheel repair, windshield repair. i had that repair package come with the car so the work didnt cost me anything but i saw the bill that i had to sign for the dealer to submit the claim and the guy charged 100 bucks for 2 wheels with rash a lot like yours.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Did the same thing to my wheel. Got a quote from local mobile wheel repair shop and was quoted 150 which sure beats 500 for a new wheel. Might want to check it out if it bothers you still. Haven't fixed mine yet since its not a priority right now but at least i know it can be repaired as this company was recommended by friends of mine at body shops and tell me you won't be able to tell the wheel was even repaired when done.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I got a little wheel rash about 3 or 4 months after purchasing my car - looks pretty much like yours does. I just left it - it's not noticeable unless you're looking for it and a little rash makes it easy to verify the service department actually rotated your tires :)

·
2013 EX-L V6-6MT
348 Posts
In my other car, the tire would do the scraping first I think. While I don't like to scrape the sidewall of a tire either, I think I'd still prefer that over scraping the metal wheel all the time. I know the solution is to not park too close to the curb but sometimes it is hard.

I wish the lanewatch camera had a way to look straight down so you could see how far you were from the curb.
Unfortunately, these low profile tires (18" V6 Coupe rims) don't leave much room for error.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Like MJL said call the dealer service dept and ask who they use for wheel repair. The cost to repair should be under $100.
Knowing that, is it worth it?
My wife did this and I used my Dremmel with a grinding bit on low speed and smoothed it out. Then got some model paint in a color as close as I felt like messing with and just dabbed some paint on it. Is is perfect no, but it's hardly noticeable.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I was just complaining and mad at myself....but no it's not worth $100 to me to fix it! I will work on it sometime, maybe, when the weather is warmer.

·
2013 Accord Sedan Sport
26 Posts
Quick follow-up to this thread. If I have a few light to medium scratches on my Sport rim and do not plan to fix it, should I put some kind of protective liquid on the scratches (nail polish, touch up paint, etc.)? I know the alloy rims won't rust but could it possibly corrode at the scratch? Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That should be a easy repair, I got mine repaired locally by someone that does high end cars and he had great yelp reviews, so make sure to look around. Also if your curb rash is anywhere on the polished surface it's impossible to color match, I got one wheel recondition for this reason on my ride was around $130.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I bought a used set of 17"wheels and tires off a 13 EX-L V6.One of the wheels has about a 1 inch area of curb rash.I'm wondering what color touch up paint is a perfect match for these wheels?I took the wheel center cap to CDN Tire looking for a match,but there are 100s of silver colors.I'm wondering what others have had success with.
Thanks
Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts