Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all! I'm finally joining the forum after just randomly lurking on here at times. We recently got rid of our 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport with 140k miles...Recently I purchased my 2020 2.0T Sport the same color as 2018 just with more features and much lower miles (it's was brand new). We only had the 2018 Accord for 2 years and managed to put 140k miles on it with ZERO problems. I think we were one of (if not) the highest mileage accord out there. We traded it for a 19 Grand Cherokee High Altitude. Below is the dealer photo so I'm sorry for the bad quality. Can't wait to put 100k on this one in a year! Thing is barely a month old and already has 5,500 miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
70k miles a year? Holy smokes.
I know right lol! My Optima had 235k miles on it when I traded it for the 2020 Accord.
All miles are highway miles. The Jeep is what we traded the 18 Accord for less than 2 weeks ago and it already has 4k miles...We only keep cars for around 2 to 3 years because we rack up the mileage QUICKLY.
We got a pretty decent trade amount for our Accord with 140k miles and 1 accident under its belt.

The car had 140,300 miles when we traded it. Below is a picture of the dash while the car is for sale at the dealer because out of sheer stupidity I didn't take a photo of the dash before we traded it.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Good to hear of your high miles/low issues - esp. for a 2018. I have a 2019 so I figure Honda had well over a year to iron out the more serious production issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to hear of your high miles/low issues - esp. for a 2018. I have a 2019 so I figure Honda had well over a year to iron out the more serious production issues.
Practically zero issues other than little glitches that would magically fix themselves. We bought the car in October of 2017 so it's an earlier model Accord and I expected it to have more issues then it had.

·
Registered
751 Posts
How do you put so many miles on the car in such a short period of time? Are you a family of traveling sales people? Carnies?

·
Registered
103 Posts
that's around 385 miles per day... whoa :) it must be really comfortable for you on road trips, that's impressive

·
Registered
971 Posts
That's an amazing amount of miles -- I'm guessing you find the seats comfortable! You can provide valuable input here, because you've driven more miles in this car than most people. How often did you need to perform maintenance with that much driving? I'm curious if the MM let you go 20k+ miles between oil changes.

Also, how did the paint hold up? Did the front end look rough from rock chips, etc. when you traded it, or was it in good condition? The paint on these cars seems a bit delicate, so this would be a good test case.

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do you put so many miles on the car in such a short period of time? Are you a family of traveling sales people? Carnies?
Me and my wife both work for the Government and our jobs require a ton of traveling (we have the option to fly but we both enjoy driving and overall the whole experience). The Accord had been driven to Florida, Ohio, Texas, and Colorado the most for work. Not to mention the number of other places its been for work. That's how we racked up the miles so quickly. The car was driven through Rain, Snow, Sleet, Hail and it performed flawlessly every time (except the time it got stuck in the snow).

that's around 385 miles per day... whoa :) it must be really comfortable for you on road trips, that's impressive
We put so many miles on the car that we were getting the oil changed every 2 or 3 weeks. The seats were comfortable but eventually, I started putting in a heated back massage thing and that made the ride better because of the massage lol. Whenever we took it on road trips with the family nobody ever complained about the seats being uncomfortable for the 5+ hour drives.

That's an amazing amount of miles -- I'm guessing you find the seats comfortable! You can provide valuable input here, because you've driven more miles in this car than most people. How often did you need to perform maintenance with that much driving? I'm curious if the MM let you go 20k+ miles between oil changes.

Also, how did the paint hold up? Did the front end look rough from rock chips, etc. when you traded it, or was it in good condition? The paint on these cars seems a bit delicate, so this would be a good test case.

Thanks.
Seats were fine but I did put one of those massaging heated seat things in the car to make it a bit better (eventually all the driving takes a toll on your body haha). We had the oil changed every 3 to 5k miles (which was about every 2 to 3 weeks). Tires were a different story because with all the driving came different damage to each wheel/tire (drivers wheel had been replaced 3 times). We never had any (big) dealer maintenance done, the car never had a 15k, 50k, 100k, 130k mile service done only oil changes that's it and I never went more than 5k between oil changes.

The paint looked like it was stained in certain places (guess so much time of not being washed/detailed properly damaged the cars paint quickly). The hood and front bumper (including the headlights) had multiple rock chips and the bumper looked sandblasted up until it was in an accident and they replaced the front bumper and repainted the hood so it didn't look too bad upon trade-in. The car could use a nice paint correction and it would probably look fine.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Wooo you probably made a decent bit of money in mileage reimbursements. I much prefer driving to flying if close enough, but that many miles is way too much for me. Glad to hear the car held up well.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Seats were fine but I did put one of those massaging heated seat things in the car to make it a bit better (eventually all the driving takes a toll on your body haha). We had the oil changed every 3 to 5k miles (which was about every 2 to 3 weeks). Tires were a different story because with all the driving came different damage to each wheel/tire (drivers wheel had been replaced 3 times). We never had any (big) dealer maintenance done, the car never had a 15k, 50k, 100k, 130k mile service done only oil changes that's it and I never went more than 5k between oil changes.

The paint looked like it was stained in certain places (guess so much time of not being washed/detailed properly damaged the cars paint quickly). The hood and front bumper (including the headlights) had multiple rock chips and the bumper looked sandblasted up until it was in an accident and they replaced the front bumper and repainted the hood so it didn't look too bad upon trade-in. The car could use a nice paint correction and it would probably look fine.
Thanks for the info. I'm guessing the new car will also get driven a lot of miles and traded in a couple of years. Highway miles are the easiest on an engine in terms of oil life, and I bet you could easily double that interval and still have plenty of oil life left. An hour or two waiting around for an oil change every 2-3 weeks can really add up. I guess what I'm asking is -- any chance you would consider just using the MM and changing the oil when it gets down to 10% or so? I bet that would save you a bunch of time and money, and the engine wouldn't know the difference.

Safe travels!

·
19 EX-L 2.0 Obsidian Blue
37 Posts
Considering the amount of miles you have driven in both models, what is your opinion on the 2.0 engine vs 1.5? Is the performance upgrade vs cost/mileage savings worth it? (I have a 2.0 and have never driven a 1.5)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wooo you probably made a decent bit of money in mileage reimbursements. I much prefer driving to flying if close enough, but that many miles is way too much for me. Glad to hear the car held up well.
Haha! The mileage reimbursements are very nice! I think since we are so used to traveling this much that at this point its like a second nature to us ha!

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing the new car will also get driven a lot of miles and traded in a couple of years. Highway miles are the easiest on an engine in terms of oil life, and I bet you could easily double that interval and still have plenty of oil life left. An hour or two waiting around for an oil change every 2-3 weeks can really add up. I guess what I'm asking is -- any chance you would consider just using the MM and changing the oil when it gets down to 10% or so? I bet that would save you a bunch of time and money, and the engine wouldn't know the difference.

Safe travels!
You're Welcome! The new car & the jeep will both be getting 100k+ miles put onto them and then traded as well so you're correct about that! I'll try changing up the routine for the oil changes on this car and just let the percentage get to around 10% and then change it instead of getting it to 40-50% and changing it.

Considering the amount of miles you have driven in both models, what is your opinion on the 2.0 engine vs 1.5? Is the performance upgrade vs cost/mileage savings worth it? (I have a 2.0 and have never driven a 1.5)
The 2.0T is an amazing upgrade.

I didn't the hate the 1.5T it was an amazing engine the power was adequate, MPG was great. The CVT wasn't terrible (much better than Altimas) but I would've preferred if it came with a traditional automatic but the "gear shifts" in Sport mode would sometimes trick me into thinking I was driving a traditional automatic ha! but it still had enough power to get out of its own way. When we bought the 1.5T we didn't even consider driving the 2.0T because the 1.5T was good enough for us. There's nothing bad about owning the 1.5T model.

The 2.0Ts power deliverance is much better though. It's more than enough power for me now. The price upgrade is very much so much worth it, the 10-Speed is AMAZING I love it! It an upgrade over the 1.5T for sure and if anyone can dish out the extra cash to get it, get it you won't regret it. As for MPG, I haven't really noticed that much of a difference on the highway but in the city, I've gotten around 19 MPG with the 2.0T whereas the 1.5T I was getting around 24 MPG but I am driving the 2.0T a little harder than I was the 1.5T haha!

In reality, you can't go wrong with either engine they are both fantastic choices.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I much prefer driving to flying if close enough, but that many miles is way too much for me.
Think of the time avoided checking in, security, waiting, late flights, not getting upgrades (already filled), etc.... and it probably makes up for a lot of it. When I fly as a passenger I feel like a prisoner from check-in to Hertz.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
With the kind of gas mileage accord gets, and zero maintenance cost (except for tires), the reimbursements probably pay for a car every few years. I would also rather drive my own car 5 hours than fly. Safe travels, g-man.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great that you had no problems, but did you consider a Hyundai/Kia product because of the 100,000 mile power train warranty?
I had a 2014 Optima EX that had a lifetime warranty on the engine (the 2011-2014 Optima's has engine recalls for rod bearing failures that would grenade the engine, requiring full engine replacement). My car never had any problems with the engine but because of the recall, I had it regularly serviced at the KIA dealer. The Optima was an amazing car and like the Accord had zero issues, I would've purchased another Optima but with the new model that's coming out very soon, I decided to wait to purchase one....Plus the Kia dealer couldn't work out a deal that me and wife wanted so we skipped out on an Optima for now. I will, however, be trading my 20' Accord for the new Optima when the Accord hits 120-140k. The Accord also holds its value much better than the Optima. I looked at the new Camry as well but I didn't like it so I wasted 15 minutes of my life at the Toyota dealer just to look at a 2019 XSE V6 that I didn't like. An Optima will be the replacement for the Accord though.

Family asked why I didn't go for a luxury brand like BMW, Audi, etc... It's because for all the traveling I do I don't need to be left roadside because the car went into limp mode because of something stupid ha! I also had the Option of a Long-Range Tesla Model S but the range is still not enough for me also factoring in the time to stop and charge is too much.

With the kind of gas mileage accord gets, and zero maintenance cost (except for tires), the reimbursements probably pay for a car every few years. I would also rather drive my own car 5 hours than fly. Safe travels, g-man.
The reimbursements are amazing! I much prefer driving over flying anyways. The job also pays for my gas and food so really I'm never spending my own money on anything on the trips.

I'm kind of upset that my car doesn't have front and rear parking sensors. The dealer told me if I wanted that on a Sport then it would be best if I custom ordered a car with that and wireless charging. My car does have a Heated Steering Wheel though (which our 2018 didn't have so I'm guessing the 1.5T Sports don't have a Heated Steering wheel).

Heres my 2020 Sports Specs:
Crystal Black Pearl
Black Interior
2.0T with 10-Speed Auto
All-Season Protection Pkg II
Illumination Pkg
Auto-Dimming Mirror with Homelink
Heated Steering Wheel
2.5-Amp USB Charging Port

·
2018 LX
120 Posts
I had a 2014 Optima EX that had a lifetime warranty on the engine (the 2011-2014 Optima's has engine recalls for rod bearing failures that would grenade the engine, requiring full engine replacement). My car never had any problems with the engine but because of the recall, I had it regularly serviced at the KIA dealer. The Optima was an amazing car and like the Accord had zero issues, I would've purchased another Optima but with the new model that's coming out very soon, I decided to wait to purchase one....Plus the Kia dealer couldn't work out a deal that me and wife wanted so we skipped out on an Optima for now. I will, however, be trading my 20' Accord for the new Optima when the Accord hits 120-140k. The Accord also holds its value much better than the Optima. I looked at the new Camry as well but I didn't like it so I wasted 15 minutes of my life at the Toyota dealer just to look at a 2019 XSE V6 that I didn't like. An Optima will be the replacement for the Accord though.

Family asked why I didn't go for a luxury brand like BMW, Audi, etc... It's because for all the traveling I do I don't need to be left roadside because the car went into limp mode because of something stupid ha! I also had the Option of a Long-Range Tesla Model S but the I range is still not enough for me also factoring in the time to stop and charge is too much.
Replace the 20 Accord with an Optima! May I ask your reasoning for this move?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Replace the 20 Accord with an Optima! May I ask your reasoning for this move?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When the Accord hits 120k I'll be trading it for something else and luckily the redesigned Optima will be out and judging by the photos/videos I've seen it's a very good looking car so I'll be going right back on over to Kia in about 2 years. There's nothing wrong with the Accord but I wouldn't want to purchase a third one until it gets a full redesign. The 2021 model Accord (allegedly) is just getting a midcycle refresh.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts