Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never knew our leather seats were coated in plastic!

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=138850

This topic appeared on the 9th Gen forums....basically, if you have leather seats, they are coated in plastic. So "leather conditioner" is good, but some use that "303" stuff too.:paranoid:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thank you for the information! I never knew that. Does the "pleather" mean that they are better? :lmao:

·
Swirl Free
1,714 Posts
Modern day automotive leather has a "top coat" similar to a clear coat paint system.

The top coat is there to protect the hides. The top coat also removes the resposibility of cleaning, conditioning and protecting the leather hides.

Todays leather does not need multiple products for proper maintenance.

Regular wipe downs using a terry towel and a warm bucket of water are all that are needed to keep clean.

Conditioners etc are not needed..

·
Carpe Diem
2,565 Posts
Be glad it is coated in plastic or it would stain super easy and wear out much faster. Doesn't bother me one bit.

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
I am a big MB text and leatherette fan . I have had many cars with real leather and I am no longer really into it. Maybe I just had bad luck with them in my 2006 Mustang GT that I purchased brand new with red leather I used leather conditioner every week and it still started cracking after 1 year . The leaterette in my Audi Quattro stayed looking like brand new after 4 years and 50k miles. it all depends on what you like and how the seat feels when you sit in it. I always value the overall design as most important

·
Cruisin Iowa...
149 Posts
I have sold furniture for 20+ years. Most all leather sofas, chairs and car seats are coated in polyurethane. If they were left in the natural state without this protection, you would be VERY unhappy in just a few months. Natural leather scratches and loses its pigment (color) in a short time due to jeans and everyday wear and tear. Be glad you have a polyurethane coating !

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gents: I am HAPPY that my Honda leather seats have a coating! I am just angry that I spent about 20 minutes at a Pep Boys once listening to the parts jockeys argue about Meguiar's vs. Mother's leather conditioner.

I will never get those 20 minutes back.:mad:

Every month I slap some leather conditioner on the seats. They look great, but HOW did I not know this???

·
2005 Accord EX-L *SSM*
423 Posts
I was always under the impression that the sides of the seats were just plastic, and the center piece of the seat was the actual leather.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts