Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I posted about i4 owners with almost (or over) half a million miles on their Accords. One member called them "outliers"...but it seems there are more here than we may realize. I know KW2004Accord has over half a million on his. I also recall a member by the name of Halfmill, who had an early V6 coupe that lived up to the moniker, but he disappeared shortly after posting about it. Lately members have been posting pics of their odometers with some astounding mileages.

I figure 350K and over should be a nice number. So, if you're at, or over this mileage, please post it here. Doesn't matter... i4 or V6, we'd just like to know how you got there. Tell us about your maintenance habits such as engine oil and transmission intervals and whether parts of your drive-train were replaced. If it's an i4, please let us know if you've ever replaced the timing chain.

Truly fascinating with how long these Accords can run....

Drew

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
17,387 Posts
Recently I posted about i4 owners with almost (or over) half a million miles on their Accords. One member called them "outliers"...but it seems there are more here than we may realize. I know KW2004Accord has over half a million on his. I also recall a member by the name of Halfmil, who had an early V6 coupe that lived up to the moniker, but he disappeared shortly after posting about it. Lately members have been posting pics of their odometers with some astounding mileages.

I figure 350K and over should be a nice number. So, if you're at, or over this mileage, please post it here. Doesn't matter... i4 or V6, we'd just like to know how you got there. Tell us about your maintenance habits such as engine oil and transmission intervals and whether parts of your drive-train were replaced. If it's an i4, please let us know if you've ever replaced the timing chain.

Truly fascinating with how these Accords can run....

Drew
My coupe made it to 409k miles roughly. A blown clutch and transmission on same day helped to retire it.

The car consuming coolant didn't help either.

Both front axles replaced
Alternator
Trunk latch replaced twice
Drivers window regulator
Minor a.c. repair
Timing chain never replaced
Oil done at 15% usually
Occasional suspension work
Other normal maintenance items

That's all i can think of attm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
2004 - 4 cyl. - When I was @ 350K & in for an oil change the mechanic called me into the shop, he said "I have something to show you" I got that sinking feeling like a major repair was needed. He showed me the timing chain, said there was almost no wear on it, the inner plastic chain guide he said usually shows the most wear, the outer less. My inner guide looked brand new, the outer one just slightly worn. Mechanic said in all of his 40 yrs. working on cars it was a first to see such little wear on the chain & guides @ 350K, "must be all those oil changes you do". 5-6K changes with syn. oil & a good filter. First trans. fluid change @ 70K (Dex3 then added the friction modifier), same @ 120K, then shortly I lost vtec. Went to 4 dealerships all insisting there wasn't a trans. filter, after 2 weeks found the info. online, replaced the inline filter & back to normal. My mistake - when I made my own z-1 concoction, it didn't have any detergents to keep things clean. @ 125K had a d/f done with Castrol but didn't like the shift quality, 130K switched to Amsoil syn. trans. fluid, d/f every 20-30K (inline filter every 60K), 450K pressure switches replaced. No problems with timing chain or trans. so far. Alternator, starter, part in the ignition switch, thermostat, 1 wheel bearing, 1 tie rod, 2 trans. motor mounts, sway bar bushings, coolant & a crank sensor, 1 coil pack, replaced + reg. maintenance (4 O2 sensors, 2 cats, exhaust pipe & muffler, etc).

·
Registered
19 Posts
My coupe made it to 409k miles roughly. A blown clutch and transmission on same day helped to retire it.

The car consuming coolant didn't help either.

Both front axles replaced
Alternator
Trunk latch replaced twice
Drivers window regulator
Minor a.c. repair
Timing chain never replaced
Oil done at 15% usually
Occasional suspension work
Other normal maintenance items

That's all i can think of attm.
That's impressively few maintenance and repair items needed!

Very eager to see some V6 owners chime in.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Amazing mileages, guys. Stillerfan... I wonder if you would have made it even further with an auto tranny?

Member Forindooruseonly, posted this pic in the mpg thread...

·
17,387 Posts
Amazing mileages, guys. Stillerfan... I wonder if you would have made it even further with an auto tranny?

Member Forindooruseonly, posted this pic in the mpg thread...

If I hadn't locked the transmission in reverse, I might still be driving it.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, lets not looking to turn this into an i4 vs V6 contest and turn people off from this thread. So please chill with the negatives, as that's not what this is about.

I like making my machines last long, whether it be an Accord, or my lawnmower. Maybe these owners can teach us something.

...Drew....

·
Rollin in FL
1,162 Posts
Guys, lets not looking to turn this into an i4 vs V6 contest and turn people off from this thread. So please chill with the negatives, as that's not what this is about.

I like making my machines last long, whether it be an Accord, or my lawnmower. Maybe these owners can teach us something.

...Drew....
True, and i also do intend to make my accord get a million miles if ya'll remember the thread ... it also does help when those with the V6 decides to chime in with their high mileage, so other V6 owners can know what they should expect. Also, this is another great way to show that Honda owners take pride in making their Hondas to last longer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
458k and still going...

This photo was linked above, but it is reasonably close. I think I'm at 458,200 or so right now.

I've had this car since 2009. I bought it from my sister after a deer totaled my 1998 Accord, I got it with about 50k miles on it for the specific purpose of being a commuter car. The last 400k have been me driving mostly long distance, over the highway trips across the nation and back and forth from school out of state and home. It has not had a hard city life. That said, I don't drive slow. 10 over is normal for me, and Texas speed limits are 75. So that gives you an idea of the type of driving.

It is the original motor and transmission. I've run basic dino Castrol GTX 5-20 and Fram filters in it since I got it. I change the oil every 4 to 5k miles. I use Honda transmission fluid. I change that about every 40 to 50k. I use Honda coolant, I've only changed that twice. I use Fram air filters for the engine and the cabin, and replace them fairly often, usually after I've visually checked their condition.

I do all the maintenance and repair work myself, and what I don't know how to do, I have friends that lend a hand. I've fixed or changed all of the following - mileage is based on my memory. I could go back and look but it will be close:

Broken Items:
I've replaced 2 intake air hoses, they crack out causing a lean condition
Catalytic converter around 330k
Starter around 350k
Cleaned the VTEC oil screens at 440k
Head Gasket at 444k
Also, my radio died and was replaced with an aftermarket one.

Maintenance Items (stuff you expect to fix):
Full suspension rebuild at 397k, including 2nd set of struts.
Timing chain at 397k
Motor Mounts at 397k
Wheel Bearings at 397k
I'm on my 2nd set of axles
3rd set of brakes
3rd set of O2 sensors
Driver's door lock actuator
Lots of headlight and taillight bulbs.

Things I KNOW are wrong, but haven't fixed them yet:
Exhaust Camshaft has a lobe that is galling, and the shaft needs to be replaced.
Carrier bearings in the transmission showing a lot of play.
Loose rocker panel that is making noise

That's all the work that I can think of. I'll edit if any more comes to me.

One last thought, I've also run down numerous animals, requiring repair to the body, including 3 different deer strikes and 1 feral hog. Doing 85 mph on West Texas roads in the middle of the night is asking for it. Most of my splashguards and inner fender wells are patched together, ragged pieces of plastic, but the hood, fenders and bumper covers have all been replaced at least once, depending on the damage. My car has not had an easy life. It's also been the best car I've ever owned, and I've had a bunch over the years.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My brother has over 350K miles on his 2006 I4 sedan. He has owned it since new and has used synthetic oil since day 1. Still on the original clutch. Most of the miles have been highway. Items that I know that have been replaced are:

- both control arms
- front struts and rear shocks
- front sway bar end links
- both axels
- all 4 calipers

Routine maintenance - Oil, filters, cabin filters, brakes, tires, spark plugs etc.

He doesn't drive it as much these days but wants to get it to at least 400k.

·
17,387 Posts

...Drew....
Simply put, good maintenance habits, some money saved up in case of you have a repair that is not that common, and a wee bit of luck

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
181 Posts
What made you decide to replace the timing chain?
I was at a point where I needed to do a whole bunch of work to the suspension as well as engine maintenance like plugs, valve adjustments, and fixing a couple of leaks. I figured if I was going to continue to drive it and was about to sink a bunch of money into the car, it would be stupid to not change the timing chain just in case.

Once apart, it looked fine, with very little wear on the tensioners and no signs of problems on the gears or chain. It would have been fine for another 400k for all I know, I just changed it more for piece of mind than anything.

That said, I did have to stupid VTEC solenoid break on me trying to remove it. That was NOT fun. In fact, I'll be sure to pull the timing cover off at least once every 100k from here on out just to prevent that poorly designed piece of junk from sticking as bad as it did at 397k.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not as far along as some of you, but I’m over the mark at 366,600. 2.4 EX-L manual trans, original clutch. Driving has been mixed since buying the car new in late ‘07. Phoenix heat can be tough on a car, but this one’s doing well. Battery dies about every two years (or less...) regardless of brand. Usual maintenance: serpentine belt when I see cracks- plugs every 100k- front end bushings at 250k. Interestingly have gone through three clutch masters. First at 165k. That one failed at 230k and the shop warrantied it. Then it failed again at 265k. They were dying to put a clutch in it saying the master was fine, but it ended up being the master ultimately.... I won that arguement. LOL. Also, at about the same time I discovered the clutch pedal was broken. There’s a thread around here somewhere about the experience...
Drained the trans at 100k and filled with Amsoil gear lube. Haven’t looked at it since. Maybe I should, but it’s working fine.
Annual oil changes with Amsoil 0w-30 signature series oil. Burns about 1/2 qt every 2000k miles. Not too bad. If I were more diligent about oil changes perhaps my timing chain would not have failed as it did last weekend, but who knows. Head’s off as of this am. I’ll rebuild the head and get back on the road soon. No other real major issues to speak of.... Dealer replaced rear brakes at 20k miles because rear calipers were seized. (Scratch head here...). No idea why, but maybe because the car sat in inventory for 312 days before I came along. EX-L NAVI with all the bells and whistles AND a manual 4cyl must not have appealed to anyone. Shrug.
Struts and axles changed at 290k. Actually, had originals axles to the local rack and axle shop (huge place in town here) and they replaced the joints. In doing so they bent both axles. Frustrating. I called Honda and the quote was astronomical..... $400 for driver’s side. Almost $1000 for passenger side. Choke. Wow. Bought TrackMotive replacements from RockAutodotcom and they’ve been great for a long time now. Tires about every 90-100k. Always stick with the OE style Michelin. Lots of tires separate in the heat of the desert, but I've yet to have (or see) a Michelin do it. Brakes as needed. Currently Brembondrilled and slotted rootors on the front, and another brand slotted on the back. OEM pads have proven to be the best IMO so far, so I stick with them. Nothing else interesting that I can think of.... K&N air filter. I clean it when I remember it. Not often enough I’m sure. A/C blows 39°. Replaced a condensor coil thanks to a rock or other road debris years ago. No issues since.
Looking forward to another 366,600 miles. Still love driving this car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently I posted about i4 owners with almost (or over) half a million miles on their Accords. One member called them "outliers"...but it seems there are more here than we may realize. I know KW2004Accord has over half a million on his. I also recall a member by the name of Halfmill, who had an early V6 coupe that lived up to the moniker, but he disappeared shortly after posting about it. Lately members have been posting pics of their odometers with some astounding mileages.

Drew

Drew
I'm over 351k.. great car

1 - 18 of 18 Posts