Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 4 cylinder honda accord when idile it's cool but when driving the temp gauge starts rising I opened the hood and saw bubbles coming from upper hose so I replaced it and but it kept overheating white smoke came from the hood and saw smoke coming from the radiator kinda under the rad cap I checked oil to see if coolant and oil mixed but oil was not milky and when I pour coolant most of it goes right thru to the ground any ideas I hope not a blown head gasket

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Where are you pouring in the coolant, radiator or expansion tank? You need to completely fill the radiator first.
Are you opening the air vent when you fill it? Air has to be removed to fill it properly.
Where is it running out, a hose, radiator, engine?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hopefully it's not a blown gasket! It does not sound like it from your description. Any white smoke from the exhaust pipe?

Is your temperature gauge showing consistent overheating with a warm engine or sporadically going up and down with high temps? A fluctuation may indicate an air bubble(s) in the system.

How old is your radiator, radiator cap, thermostat, temperature sensor, etc? How old is your water pump and are you showing signs of it leaking or going bad? A bad pump may cause overheating problems as you know. Where is it leaking "straight to the ground"? There are several coolant hoses in the engine bay and you could have a leak elsewhere that is leaking and vaporizing and causing overheating. I had a minor leak for the longest of time and I finally was able to figure out it was two hoses leaking and vaporizing coolant---one breather hose at the throttle body and one hose just under the distributor cap. I think my leaks caused air to get into the system.

I also had overheating issues and changed all the coolant system related parts mentioned, but the problem for me was a clogged radiator, which I was able to replace in less than an hour. I don't feel bad for changing all the parts, since they were all overdue anyway and fairly inexpensive. I had tried a "stop leak" product before all this and I swear I will NEVER use that again. It did a number on my heater core.

Bleed the air out and re-fill coolant as Nehonda suggested. There should be no steam coming from the radiator cap (if I am understanding you correctly). Closely inspect the seal underneath the cap as those can go bad, and replace the cap as appropriate with a good OEM. Also check to see if you are leaking anywhere along the "overflow" tube that usually goes from the radiator cap to the reservoir. Beyond these two things, you probably need to diagnose it further...

I found this excellent tutorial on coolant/overheating issues/diagnostics a while ago. I made my kids read it. :) Its definitely worth the time reading it and gaining a good, general understanding of the coolant system problems and solutions.

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/overheating/index.html#anytop

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honda Accord 99, 275K, Radiator leakage
• Replaced Radiator
• Engine Temperature Gauge, don’t work as it was working before heat up temperature showed 40% which was before 25%
• Changed genuine tempos tat bought by Honda dealer
• Now gauge goes up to 65%
• Checked fan, both fan turn on when I made engine heat up by accelerating but it worked around only 30 second even I am keep accelerating the engine
• Upper hose pipe is hot and lower is normal at heating condition
• Car runs very well no issue
Please advise what do I do next. Is that engine related issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
On my 98 civic ex there was a temp sensor relay that would trip the radiator fans to turn on. You canrig it with a paper clip so that yhe fan runs constant until you can get new sensor. Also as others have stated....when filling radiator with fluid you must "burp the radiator"......fill it up....leave cap off. Run engine until all bubbles stopand add more coolant if level drops after burping. Had same issue in my civic....thought I burp'd enought put cap on....drove annd temp gauge went up....had to pull off and burp her some more....problem solved.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Honda Accord 99, 275K, Radiator leakage
• Replaced Radiator
• Engine Temperature Gauge, don’t work as it was working before heat up temperature showed 40% which was before 25%
• Changed genuine tempos tat bought by Honda dealer
• Now gauge goes up to 65%
• Checked fan, both fan turn on when I made engine heat up by accelerating but it worked around only 30 second even I am keep accelerating the engine
• Upper hose pipe is hot and lower is normal at heating condition
• Car runs very well no issue
Please advise what do I do next. Is that engine related issue?

Shahzad406: Are you the original poster for this thread or are you having identical issues? Sorry, I am easily confused. You might want to start a new thread with more details of your problem. I'm not sure if you're having overheating problems or a temperature gauge problem.

I would suggest you get a car scanner that can measure LIVE coolant temperature data streaming in case your temperature gauge system is faulty. That way, you can tell exactly what the engine temperature is and most importantly, if and how much the car is overheating. The live data will tell you how the temps fluctuate (mine: 189-194 degrees) and you'll get a sense when the thermostat opens and closes to maintain coolant correct temperature levels.

Did you bleed air out of the system after installing your new radiator/coolant? This is an important step. If not, it will cause problems. If you already have, bleed it again anyway to make sure all air pockets are removed.

If you suspect your temperature gauge is not receiving proper signals, check the 1) temperature coolant temperature sensor (easy to check and replace) and 2) the engine coolant sending unit (it seems your gauge is receiving so it may not be the issue, however).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts