Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a follow up thread since it seems I actually was able to fix my wife's 05 2.4 LX sedan. The P0141, "Sensor 2 Heater Circuit Malfunction" has been the one and only code to pop up so far on her car over its 112,000 mile life. I read all I could find web wide, and here, about the experiences others have had attempting to reconcile this, and I guess I got lucky, but I found a Bosch OE style replacement and installed it a couple of weekends ago, cleared the code, and she hasn't reported any sign of the light coming back on past its initial check yet. :thmsup: " 'Tis better to be lucky than good!"

In testing the original sensor's heater circuit I found it was setting a hard fault with a reading of 217 ohms. I really had expected to see a completely open circuit, so I learned something. Now, the new Bosch sensor's heater circuit reads down to 3.5 ohms, which had me a little concerned since there were a few reports out there stating the resistance was perhaps too low which would allow high enough current flow to somehow damage the ECU. I spent a lot of time researching this before using the Bosch sensor.

I found that the Oxygen Sensor Heater circuit is most likely (the best I could follow) powered up by the A/F Relay, so all the ECU does is control the operation of the relay, like flipping a switch, which means the heater circuit resistance has no relevance at all in relation to current draw through the ECU itself. So, I decided I'd give it a shot and go ahead with the Bosch installation ...and, so far no problems at all.

Oh, and something else we both also noticed, although I can't confirm for sure. Once I installed the new sensor and reset the ECU the car actually ran quieter, at idle, and has averaged slightly better fuel mileage. I'm only guessing it was in "fail safe" mode or maybe staying in "open loop", and the ECU had changed its priorities, or was just averaging fuel and ignition maps as long as the MIL was lit. Not that important, but an interesting symptom detail that I must have missed back in Fuel Injection class.

The wife says it's running like new again! :D

-Roger

·
Registered
172 Posts
Went through this about a year ago at 130,000 mi. Bosch sensor installed, shortly after threw code P0139. Replaced it with a Denso sensor. Read of others having issues with non OEM sensors. No issues since then.

I've used Bosch sensors for many years without issue. Hopefully I just had a bum one.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Amazon has great prices on denso brand sensors.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And, as my luck would have it... almost the same day I post this up the check engine light comes back on. I ran the scan tool, and guess what? P0139 ...so I'm going to hunt a Denso on line, as well as contact the seller of the Bosch sensor to see if he will refund my money as the part is defective.

So, lesson learned... hopefully this thread will help someone else here to not make the same poor decision about buying the cheaper part. That's just the way it goes sometimes.

-R

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Problem with Bosch

Installed a new Bosch O2 sensor in my 04 Accord and the P0141 still stayed on. Went to dealer and they installed the OEM Denso and that did well for 60K miles. Eventually, I had to replace the O2 sensor again. Same P0141 problem with my brother's 00 Accord.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
On the 7th. gen. 4 cyl. NGK downstream Denso upstream was OEM. Sometimes just replacing the O2 sensor isn't enough, I always replace with new wires also. I get 150K+ from my new O2 sensors. Using a good fuel injector cleaner like BG44 once in a while helps to keep the O2 sensor contacts clean along with the injectors. Bosch O2 sensors are poor quality, but their fuel pumps are good (OEM on my 04).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts