Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Crystal Black Pearle Accord Touring
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week the check engine light came on, along with the vas light, and the car drove like crap. I found out spark plug 2, the electrode had broken. I got it replaced with NGK iridium plugs but my concern is, plug 2 was completely gunky. The other 5 were not gunky. You could actually see the white on the electrode. I would expect all to be at least some what the same gunky. Why would plug 2 be so much more gunky than the other 5?

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
I'm no mechanic, but my guess would be due to the fuel in that cylinder not igniting.

Scott C.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I would say that if that spark plug was not firing correctly that it would be covered in unburned fuel and carbon. At this point if it is running good now and the code is gone you could check the spark plugs now to see if the all look similar.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The blowby on plug 2 and this:
IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

Should i be worried? I did not smell this.... I will go outside and see if this is oil

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will go outside and see if this is oil
This was "soot" like when I rubbed it with my finger. At that time it did not smell like oil or gas.

Maybe it is running lean? When I cold start the car, it smokes. The color of smoke is white-ish. When the car is warm and idling, it smokes. The smoke is the same color as a cold start. I expect the smoke at a cold start but not when warm and idling. Could it be running lean?

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
This was "soot" like when I rubbed it with my finger. At that time it did not smell like oil or gas.

Maybe it is running lean? When I cold start the car, it smokes. The color of smoke is white-ish. When the car is warm and idling, it smokes. The smoke is the same color as a cold start. I expect the smoke at a cold start but not when warm and idling. Could it be running lean?
Again, I am no mechanic, but do recall being told by my favorite mechanic that somtimes white smoke suggest a bad ring or seal. Clearly, your milage may vary.

Scott C.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You have a engine misfire. Not sure if you have a sedan or coupe. However, I had a misfire on my Sedan 08 EX-L V6. It's due to an unfortunate by product of the VCM (cylinder deactivation). The cylinders that are deactivated when VCM kicks in have an excessive amount of carbon buildup. In a normal engine, this unused carbon would get burned up in repetitive cycles causing less build-up on the plugs. However, with VCM unfortunately this builds up.

The back 3 cylinders closest to the firewall were really bad in my case. I found all 3 were extremely fouled up. I bought 6 spark plugs (OEM) and replaced them all, and I not only gained horsepower, but the CEL cleared on its own. I added replacing spark plugs on my 1.5 year activities. It's $120 for the parts.

Honda was sued for this problem with a class action lawsuit, I am just waiting on my refund for the plugs ive already replaced. Hopefully that helps you fix it.

It could also be a bad coil pack, which can be easily tested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts