Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 2008 EX Coupe Automatic with 111,000 miles on it. The other morning when I started the car the CEL and VSA lights came on. I turned the car off and back on again and the CEL stayed on but the VSA went off. I had the code read and it came up as P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance. Autozone told me it seems to be an easy fix and to just replace the sensor. Has anyone else had any experience with this error code? I have not done anything yet to correct the error

Some additional information is that the car was driving normal before the CEL and is driving normal as well after the CEL (knock on wood)

Any help will be appreciated

·
Elvira
3,681 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have a 2008 EX Coupe Automatic with 111,000 miles on it. The other morning when I started the car the CEL and VSA lights came on. I turned the car off and back on again and the CEL stayed on but the VSA went off. I had the code read and it came up as P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance. Autozone told me it seems to be an easy fix and to just replace the sensor. Has anyone else had any experience with this error code? I have not done anything yet to correct the error

Some additional information is that the car was driving normal before the CEL and is driving normal as well after the CEL (knock on wood)

Any help will be appreciated
Check the condition of your battery. Seriously this is one of the possible causes for a P0341 code. When ever multiple dash lights from seemingly disparate systems occur simultaneously (in your case VSA and CEL latching because of the Camshaft Position Sensor), check the battery for voltage of 12.6.

The camshaft position sensor signal is sent to the Engine Control Module (ECM) during the first few seconds of engine cranking and the ECM is showing it out of it's running range. Bad voltage can make the sensor read in the wrong or out of range.

It's much cheaper to check this out before replacing sensors.

Instead of me paraphrasing

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p0341_honda.html#ixzz3behoIH00

How old is the battery?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
The thing to look at is the timing chain, has it been rattling on startup? I would pull the valve cover and make sure all the timing marks line up. If they do, replace the sensor, if they do not you will need to see if it is a stretched chain, bad VTC actuator. However this a 2008 and they all have bad VTC actuator's and my guess is you need a new VTC actuator, timing chain, timing chain tensioner. There is a TSB on this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does do a quick rattle on start up. I saw the TSB for that while looking through the forums today. With my car being over every possible warrenty how is Honda about fixing this? Any recommendations on steps I should take?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
If you have always used a dealership for maintenance you can probably get some good will on the repair, but a TSB is not a recall. My guess is you are on the hook for the repair. Others who have had this issue hopefully will chime in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update for everyone. I reset the code on the car and it stayed off for a few days and then came back on. Does it still sound like it is the chain stretching or is it possible that the sensor maybe going bad due to it being intermittent

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
688 Posts
i used to have that code pop up almost everytime i started my car. that was due to an aftermarket starter i installed. it sometimes took like 5-7 cranks to start, and what that does it sends a low voltage signal to the ECM causing the code to pop up and put my car in limp mode. i would have to clear the code in order for it to go away with my ultragauge module. the MOST probable cause is either a bad starter or crappy battery sending low voltages. the other issue MIGHT be the actual sensor is going bad.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
As I said very simple to see if the marks are lined up, pull the valve cover and look. To see if the chain is stretched remove the timing chain tensioner cover and measure how far the tensioner is extended. If you have the rattle it will only get worse and eventually the chain will skip teeth on the cam gear and bend valves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts