Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin has a 6th gen (v6) with some idle issues that she's asked me to help her out with.

Basically the car was just sitting for a year not being driven around or anything. After she got rid of her truck she had her mechanic come down to replace all the fluids and re-do the brakes. I'm not sure what else he did though.

A few days later, her car throws a CEL and the car idles funny she said. I hook up my code scanner and it's a P0505 code for idle issues. I go online to search and the CEL code thread only has "14 P0505 Idle Control System Malfunction" as a description. I also come across THIS thread which says to check the IM and IACV gaskets.

Knowing that this is likely a gasket or vacuum issue, i'd like to know which vacuum lines this could be coming from if it is a vacuum line. If this is a gasket issue, I want to ask which gaskets the IACV and IM are. Is the IACV gasket the one where the throttle body is at and the IM gasket the one where you would have to take apart the entire top part of the engine to get to as if you were cleaning out the EGR port?

I just want to know what to expect ahead of time before my cousin calls me or her mechanic up for this job.

·
Super Moderator
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
if it helps, the RPMs do not fluctuate but rather just stay low.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
The IAC is stuck closed. You can try to flush out the housing with carburetor cleaner by spraying through the air feed hole in the throttle body.

You spray in, let it sit and use compressed air to blow the stuff out. It'll go down the intake, just don't use too much. Then start it, and see what it does. Many times I see them stick wide open, as the valve opens up at shutdown.

The gaskets on the V6 IAC don't usually have issues as they are formed rubber 'o-ring' style gaskets. They also seal coolant.

To remove the IAC, you'll have to take off the throttle body and flip it upside down to remove the screws (TIGHT) that are holding it on. Clamp off the coolant feed hoses to it prior, and leave the cables attached as well. If you take off the throttle body carefully, you can reuse the gasket.

·
Super Moderator
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright, thanks for the info!

i just need an air compressor now >.>

·
6,322 Posts
^ I suppose a can of compressed air would also work. Available at Radio Shack or similiar. Same stuff that is used to clean the crud from keyboards.

·
Super Moderator
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was actually wondering about that stuff. but does compressed air have the same amount of PSI as an air compressor would?

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
Not really, but it'll do if you only use a little cleaner at a time. I use 175 psi at work and 140 psi at home. One of those cans, maybe 20-25 psi if you're lucky.

You don't want the stuff to dry in the valve as it will make it jam up worse than before. There's very little clearance between the valve and its housing.

·
Super Moderator
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so....i guess i need my own air compressor then.

or just borrow the one from work, haha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts