Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

P3646 Code resolved

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  200366HFP 
#1 ·
VTEC Rocker Arm Actuator, low voltage.

Turns out my oil filter decided to "clog" and prevent enough pressure to actuate the selenoid. Yup. Before filter change, ~30psi of oil pressure, and code P3646, which makes the car go into "limp mode" at ~2800 rpms. After filter change, oil top off, ~75psi out of the pump.

FYI if anyone else has this issue, check oil pressure coming out of the pump, and if its low, go to the easy to change and cheap filter. Book says to replace the actuator, but I would do this first.

This is on an '03 I4 w/101k miles.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Since new its been running 0w-30 AmsOil 100% Synthetic. ByPAss filter and full flow filter changes at 12.5k. Uses about a quart in the filter change interval. 25k oil change intervals with the bypass filter setup. Strange thing is it was just all changed (Bypass filter, full flow filter in stock location, and oil) 2500 miles ago. I'm thinking the filter just failed, something inside either collapsed or something. I've never heard of that either, just what happened here.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Wait... if it has a By Pass feature how would clogging affect it. Thats the point of a by pass..?
The oil goes through the standard filter location before it goes to the pressure sensor on the back of the motor. The bypass setup T's off that, and goes to an external filter from there. Nothing you can do to change that setup on the car, unless the bypass connects to the filter mount. The one I have does not.

Did you hook up an oil pressure gauge or did you get the pressure values and RPM from the OBD-II reader?
Had an oil pressure guage that I could easily hook up to the bypass filter hose, to read what is coming right off the sending unit for reading the psi. (Which is waaaaay low to set off the idiot light on the dash, I forget what that psi is. The low oil pressure light was NOT on inside the car.)

Any oil analysis reports by chance? I'm just curious. Sounds like a failed filter to me as well...
Yeah, I've never had a failed filter in probably close to 3 million miles of driving in my family, guess it was our time. No oil anaylis yet, makes me think I should, just to validate what I have or don't have oil wise. I'm also thinking of cutting that filter apart when I get a chance, just to see, if there is anything to see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.