Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

(paid) BC Racing Type BR Review

17K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  on2 
#1 ·
Criteria
I have had a variety of cars in the past, some of had aftermarket suspensions. Most of them rode hard, made too much noise, and were generally unimpressive. Knowing that I was pretty much unsatisfied with a lot of what was available I was very careful with the selection of a suspension system for my car. There were a few criteria that I had when selecting the system, OEM build quality and ride, excellent reputation, top notch support. I would suspect that all of us here use our Accords as daily drivers; I didn’t want to sacrifice a comfortable ride for a more aggressive look. Further, I have two small kids that are in the car with me nearly every day – quality and safety were a huge concern. After a lot of careful consideration I decided on the BC Racing Type BR’s. I was really impressed that BC dyno tests each coil over before delivery. This is done not only to ensure the total quality of the component but also that the adjustment clicks on the damper are consistent on each coilover. Only problem was BC didn’t yet offer a kit for the 2013+ Accords. I contacted BC racing directly and was told they had a kit that was in development and offered to install it on my Accord.

BC Racing
I met with Tim Griffith at BC Racing in Orlando, Florida at their US headquarters. I couldn’t have been more impressed with Tim and the facility. BC Racing had the car for a few days to confirm fitment and take measurements. During this time, correspondence and service with Tim at BC couldn’t have been any better. Any of the ridiculous questions or details that I wanted, Tim was able to provide an answer. The level of service provided by BC Racing is something that I doubt is rarely found in aftermarket parts manufacturers. One thing that I thought was really interesting about the BC Racing BR Type coils as Tim explained is that the BR Type do not sacrifice ride quality as you increase the amount of your drop. The ride height adjustment is a separate collar from the spring perch. You can control/limit damper travel by adjusting the amount of spring compression if you wish; I have mine set to allow for full travel.

First Impressions
After a week had passed I returned to BC Racing to pick up the car. Tim gave me a full walkthrough of the installation, ride height adjustment, and damper adjustment. We went on a short test drive to get my initial feedback. On first look the car was sitting perfect. I believe that there’s about a 1.5” drop in the car’s ride height as it sits, but max lowering is probably somewhere around 3.5”. At the time the dampers were tuned a little stiff, and after driving home, I backed them off four clicks and it rides nearly OEM. There are 12 clicks in the front, 16 in the back (out of a 30-clicks front/rear). Leaving the backs a little stiffer will induce slight throttle lift oversteer. Turn in is much more crisp, body roll is nearly gone, and steering input is reduced drastically.

Two-Week Review
After having the coils on for two weeks I have to say that I am very impressed. I find myself seeking out curvy roads and trying to nail every apex on my ride to and from work. I can honestly say that even though I was provided with the coils for the purpose of testing these are excellently built pieces backed up by an outstanding organization in Orlando headed up by the BC Racing-NA Team. I would not hesitate to recommend the BC Racing BR Type Coilivers for the 9th Gen Accords, or for any other car for that matter. These coils are excellent for daily driving, getting a more aggressive look and feel, but also for track use. I doubt that my car will ever see anything more than the occasional auto-cross, but if I do stumble into a track day I am confident that these coils would perform excellent.

Coils:

Max Lowering:

With 19" BC Wheels:

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice! That drop even with stock tires looks very sleek, almost ready to attack the roads!

#4 ·
Not sure, you can contact BC Racing to pre-order or any of their authorized vendors for pricing.

#5 ·
I appreciate your impressions and opinions, but this isn't really a review.

Two-Week Review
After having the coils on for two weeks I have to say that I am very impressed. I find myself seeking out curvy roads and trying to nail every apex on my ride to and from work. I can honestly say that even though I was provided with the coils for the purpose of testing these are excellently built pieces backed up by an outstanding organization in Orlando headed up by the BC Racing-NA Team. I would not hesitate to recommend the BC Racing BR Type Coilivers for the 9th Gen Accords, or for any other car for that matter. These coils are excellent for daily driving, getting a more aggressive look and feel, but also for track use. I doubt that my car will ever see anything more than the occasional auto-cross, but if I do stumble into a track day I am confident that these coils would perform excellent.

#6 ·
I appreciate the time you took to now thread dump on me twice. Is there something specific related to the coilovers that you would like to hear?

#10 ·
This is a forum. Not a magazine that's trying to sell issues. Most people on here don't have dyno numbers to show you. They can give you the ole butt dyno numbers. But if that's not good enough. then you are going to be disappointed a lot. For you to tell him what he wrote was not a review was wrong. It was his review of the past few weeks with a product. I thought it was a very good review for a forum. I read bad reviews on here all the time. When I do I just go read something else. Just cause you say you appreciate his opinions. Don't mean you can take a shot at him. Try telling your wife or girlfriend that she looks good in a dress even though she has a big fat a s s. See how that works out.

#11 ·
This is a forum. Not a magazine that's trying to sell issues.
It does, however, read less like an objective review and exactly like a forum post trying to sell suspension parts.

Did I read it right that the OP didn't pay anything for this setup? He says he was "provided with the coils for the purposes of testing" and doesn't know how much they cost, which he obviously would if he had to pay for them. This alone would pull this out of the category of a "review" and into the category of "advertisement"... so please, correct me if I'm wrong. But either way, typically reviews would share both pros and cons, and unless this is the most perfect product in the history of the world, it is a bit suspect that all the company's claims for the product are unquestioningly passed along and there is no hint of any "cons". It's also worth noting that the claim appears to be made that you can do a 3.5" drop and maintain full suspension travel, and better still, you can do so without any but the slightest degradation in ride quality. Also, since this setup has admittedly not seen any track duty, or even an autocross as of yet, how can a claim be made without reservation that it's "excellent....for track use"?

#13 ·
I like this review cause it gives me an idea of what the coils feel like to us "daily driver" kind of ppl..I'm not into specs n such cause I'm not planing to track the car..so yea I wouldn't bash this review/opinion whatever you wanna call it..:thmsup: thanks for your review 904sport13..Oh I live in Tampa, nice to see all the 9thgens out of FL!

#16 ·
Well this escalated quickly. Here's the way I see it, if I didn't provide enough test data in this review and you're unhappy then I am sorry that you can't see any value in what I provided. If you're looking for hard numbers perhaps it would be best for you to contact the manufacturer. This is a car enthusiast forum, not a professional testing organization. Until there's a template on how to provide what you see as an appropriate review thread then perhaps you should use your time in a more valuable manner. It seems though that some folks have read my review and gained some valuable insight into this product, to those folks I am happy that you liked my review. The review was my take on my coilover system, if it doesn't provide enough test data for you, please move along. Thread dumping like this is really petty and only goes to show that some people have the need to prove they are the smartest in the room.

Regarding the relationship with BC and my car. BC did provide me with the product for their R&D purposes. If at any point I was unhappy with the product they would have happily removed the coils and returned the car to stock. I was not obliged to provide the review if I was unhappy with the product. Everything that I wrote were my words, my opinions, and my thoughts. So am I somewhat biased? Maybe, but I would say no more than anyone else who endorses products that they purchase for their car. For instance, if someone asked what kind of speakers that I would recommend, I would say Rockford Fosgate because I am running them in my car and I like them.

#20 ·
If you're looking for hard numbers perhaps it would be best for you to contact the manufacturer.
I guess that means they did not provide you with results from the dyno's they did then?

Would you be able to tell us what aftermarket suspensions you had in the past and found "rode hard, made too much noise, and were generally unimpressive?" It would be helpful to know where you're coming from and what you're comparing these BC's to, as they are your point of reference.

You said you selected BC because they met a few of your criteria which were "OEM build quality and ride, excellent reputation, top notch support." How were you able to determine that they had OEM build quality and ride, and an excellent reputation along with top notch support? Did you have BC coilovers before and already knew this (i.e. first hand experience), was this conclusion based on what someone told you, was it from something you read, or something else?

Could you go into details about what you were "very impressed" about? Was there anything that you didn't like about them?

After a lot of careful consideration I decided on the BC Racing Type BR’s.
What other companies did you consider aside from BC, and why were they eliminated from your consideration?

#17 ·
Thanks for the info man. This thread talk about opinions about reviews reminds me about when I used to drive a 07 Civic Si and T1R sent me a header and exhaust to review. I mentioned it was a little loud for my taste but the combo brought a noticeable power increase. People neglected the latter part of information and decided to go crazy in the thread talking about my "girl ears" lol.

#19 ·
Thank you for posting, we were the first (if not, one of the first) sets for the 8th gen to install and review back several years ago. They were great coilovers. For anyone with inquiries, happy to assist anyway we can. I'll get in contact with BC on when we can get these listed and start taking pre-orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.