Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Paint Chipped

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  crivo3 
#1 ·
The rear bumper of my 08' Coupe (Alabaster Silver) was in a minor accident a few nights back, lightly tapping a very low (...practically invisible) fire hydrant.

There's a paint chip just about the size of dime and a very disgruntled Accord owner wondering whether or not he can fix it himself. It's probably a cheap job for a body shop to just fill it in but I feel better fixing minor problems myself.

Any suggestions on how I should go about this? I did pick up a touch up pen from the local Honda Service Center.

#2 ·
Perhaps it's time for a backup sensor kit. ;)

Haha, anyway, prep the surface as if you were going to polish and wax, and then use a paint pen (or toothpick with touch-up paint to fill it in ever so slightly. You will most likely have to apply multiple layers (with a a couple hours in between if you really want to do it right).

Then after it's COMPLETELY dry you'll want to prep the surface again, and depending on whether or not you did the paint job correctly, you may want to apply a slightly abrasive paint-prep product to get it to even out with the surface.

Then polish and wax and you're good to go. :)

#3 ·
I'd suggest you fill the chip with the touch-up paint and the end of a card-board match. If its small enough, maybe wetsand it and just buff it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.