Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got back from a 5 hour highway drive yesterday and there's 3 new paint chips on my hood :dunno:

I wasn't tailgating or following too close and I didn't actually hear anything hit the car. I've had my EX coupe for 3 months and so far 6 chips. Why the heck is Honda paint so delicate and prone to chips?? The dealer gave me a paint pen when I got the car but I still know the chips are there :paranoid:
I've never owned another vehicle that got paint chips so easily.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I got a paint chip for free when I bought the car. Near the driver's side corner of the hood, by the windshield. Also a chip/gouge in the bumper cover. Car had 38 miles on it, it was driven from another dealer. Since then, no more chips.

My 1999 Civic has the various bumper dings, but only two on the hood after 14 years. My '99 Sentra, which was traded for the Accord, looks like someone took a shotgun with bird shot to the front.

The paint on the Sentra was definitely inferior to either other car. The dings on the Civic (which go down to the base metal) reveal that the paint is very thick. On the Accord, it seems not so thick, but I did not measure either scientifically.

I think rock dings are just a part of life. Unfortunately. The best you can do is not follow to closely, as you have done, and avoid off-roading. Did you go four, oops two-wheeling?

·
2013 Accord Sedan EX-L
23 Posts
I believe most manufacturers are now using waterborne paint which causes a softer paint finish. First thing I did when I purchased my Accord was to have the clear bra installed on the entire front end (hood, bumper, fender, side mirrors, headlights & fogs). I've done this on my last 5 cars & it definitely saved the front end. I have however managed to get a very minor chip on the hood near the windshield. If you're going to enjoy & drive a car, it's inevitable that things are still going to happen now matter how much we protect them. I do also think that the new paint does harden a bit over time. I struggle with trying not to be so obsessive with my car and have to remind myself that if chips are the worse thing in my life I've got it pretty good. Check out the clear bra ... It's a bit pricy (my full bra was about $600), but if things like this bother you it might be money well spent. :thmsup:

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I haven't noticed that the paint is any different from the paint on any other car I have owned. I give everyone i follow ample distance and avoid driving behind trucks or give them even extra distance. There is only so much you can do to protect your car if you take it out of your garage and drive it on the public streets and roads.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
Check out the clear bra ... It's a bit pricy (my full bra was about $600), but if things like this bother you it might be money well spent. :thmsup:
Is that custom or pre-cut?

Does the edge of the film wrap around under the edge of the hood and fenders?

Is it full length of the hood and fenders?

I paid $600 6 years ago for half-length semi-custom hood/fenders, not wrapped under the edge, headlights, and mirrors, so depends on the coverage, your price may not be "pricy" at all.

·
2013 Accord Sedan EX-L
23 Posts
Is that custom or pre-cut?

Does the edge of the film wrap around under the edge of the hood and fenders?

Is it full length of the hood and fenders?

I paid $600 6 years ago for half-length semi-custom hood/fenders, not wrapped under the edge, headlights, and mirrors, so depends on the coverage, your price may not be "pricy" at all.
The installer does the custom bra. Yes it wraps around to the underside of the hood/fenders. On the hood it goes back about 2 1/2ft from the front of the hood & about 1 ft on front fenders. The installer I use does a flawless job. He also tinted my windows 35% with Llumar for $135.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
Water Bourne paint is thin, but Honda paint is known for chipping easily. I had chips in the hood on my TSX within the first month. I have swirls on my trunk lid already after 6 months on the Accord.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Paint is the softest, most crappy paint I've had on any Honda since 1983. Way to easy to chip, swirl, etc. Thankfully mine is a lease, so in 3 yrs when she's looking chipped up she's gone. (if it lasts that long because there are already quite a few chips in my lower front bumper after 4 months)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Paint is the softest, most crappy paint I've had on any Honda since 1983. Way to easy to chip, swirl, etc. Thankfully mine is a lease, so in 3 yrs when she's looking chipped up she's gone. (if it lasts that long because there are already quite a few chips in my lower front bumper after 4 months)
I agree- I have tons of paint chips on my car, 7800 miles. Only had the car for 8 months.

Same route for 3 years. Already have more chips then my past car in 8 months then 24+ months.

·
Crosseyed and Gearless
298 Posts
I got back from a 5 hour highway drive yesterday and there's 3 new paint chips on my hood :dunno:

I wasn't tailgating or following too close and I didn't actually hear anything hit the car. I've had my EX coupe for 3 months and so far 6 chips. Why the heck is Honda paint so delicate and prone to chips?? The dealer gave me a paint pen when I got the car but I still know the chips are there :paranoid:
I've never owned another vehicle that got paint chips so easily.
Same here, never had another car ding and chip so easily. To me it seems more than just a thin paint problem, there seems to be an adhesion problem as well as many of the dings result in not just a break in the paint but a small section just chipping off. It seems the only solution to the problem is forking over $500 for a clear bra or just accepting it as a "feature" of your new Honda!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'm not getting just "chips". Its almost like the front bumper itself is really soft.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think if a rock comes at you at 50 mph and you are going 60 mph, any paint is going to chip. Thick or not. :dunno:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I too (like lots of people in this thread) have paint chipping issues. My 2005 passat after 100k miles and 7 years had less chips than my honda after a couple weeks and 1000 miles.

I'm in the market for a car for my wife right now and honda is no where on the list. I'm not dealing with two cars that I have to apply touch up paint to every other week.

·
Crosseyed and Gearless
298 Posts
I too (like lots of people in this thread) have paint chipping issues. My 2005 passat after 100k miles and 7 years had less chips than my honda after a couple weeks and 1000 miles.

I'm in the market for a car for my wife right now and honda is no where on the list. I'm not dealing with two cars that I have to apply touch up paint to every other week.
My 01 Maxima was the same way, didn't have any paint chips the first year despite being driven many more miles than my Honda, so I'm not buying the this is normal cause rocks are going 50 mph theory...

About excluding Honda on account of this I really can't blame ya, I might have done the same if I knew beforehand, though I do really like the MPG's it gets, so maybe I'd of bought anyway.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow, I washed my car car and found three paint chips on the hood ome about a 3/8in dia. If we complain to Honda will they do anything about the pos paint.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
243 Posts
My first paint chip on the hood went down all the way to the metal. Got the OEM hood deflector for about $115 and problem solved. Not a chip since. You can actually see a few nicks on the deflector that saved the paint :thmsup:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts