Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
02-SE
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting this here because it really has to do with the 6th gen paint. IDK if this has to be moved to the detailing section or not, but its OK. Well i was cursed with the faded Taffeta White color from Honda. So I decided after waxing with the expensive waxes and nothing helped, I used a professional buffer that we have at school and used those special pads that you use rubbing compound on one and then machine glaze on another. So that's what I did. It took me 2 days and about 3-4 hours. I am thrilled at the results I got. I got home and put a nice coat of Mothers Carnuba wax on it as well. Before you couldn't even see your reflection on the car, now it looks the the 3 other cars in the driveway with good clearcoats.
Just a little car trivia, what are the 2 cars in the reflection of my car? in the reflection of my car???

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
290 Posts
Looks good, any before pics.

Mustang and lexus RX

Edit
and I believe that there is an expedition in front of the mustang.

·
02-SE
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ill wait for a couple more guesses and I'll tell what they are....
I have pics from when i first got the car, but none up close to show the reflection. :(

·
Registered
216 Posts
its better if you polish first then wax after. yu can tell the difference. its all worth it doing.

·
Registered
544 Posts
should clay bar first. when I got my 2000 coupe last year I thought the paint was in bad shape. felt like sandpaper. after claying it was smoother than a baby's bottom. then you polish.

·
02-SE
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya I clay bar it as well, forgot to mention that...

The cars were a 1999 LEXUS RX300
00 Mustang GT Convertible
and very close on the expedition, it's an 03 EXPLORER.

·
Registered
290 Posts
2 out of 3 isnt too bad from your reflections :)

and hey ... you have reflections now!!

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
should clay bar first. when I got my 2000 coupe last year I thought the paint was in bad shape. felt like sandpaper. after claying it was smoother than a baby's bottom. then you polish.
There is no point to clay the surface if you are going to be power polish the surface, it's just wasted time.

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
There is no point to clay the surface if you are going to be power polish the surface, it's just wasted time.
Really? I figured it'd be safer to remove contaminants from the paint before polishing it because things embedded in the paint could cause further damage when being pushed/swirled into the paint using an orbital or something. But I may just be talking out of my butt, haha.

·
02-SE
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,914 Posts
I disagree unless it has been clayed very recently.

The white looks good, very reflective. A quick wipe down with Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax ( a synthetic sealant) will add to the depth, reflection, and shine while adding a bit more protection. As I recall Taffeta White is single stage paint (no clear coat) so fighting oxidation is key to keeping it looking good.

·
02-SE
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I disagree unless it has been clayed very recently.

The white looks good, very reflective. A quick wipe down with Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax ( a synthetic sealant) will add to the depth, reflection, and shine while adding a bit more protection. As I recall Taffeta White is single stage paint (no clear coat) so fighting oxidation is key to keeping it looking good.
That is a real suprise to me. I didn't know that there wasn't a clearcoat on the car. it's weird because the front and rear bumper have a shine and everything to them, just claybar them and waxed them up an they looked like new, no polishing needed.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,914 Posts
The urethane bumper covers are clear coated, the painted metal is not. Again, that's providing I am recalling this correctly. If the pads on the buffer turned white after use then there you go.

·
02-SE
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The urethane bumper covers are clear coated, the painted metal is not. Again, that's providing I am recalling this correctly. If the pads on the buffer turned white after use then there you go.
That's weird to think that they would clear coat only part of the car. But no white was on the pads besides the rubbing compound I used.

·
Registered
544 Posts
its your opinion. I find it makes the job quicker to clay first. you do it your way and I will do it my way. We will leave it at that.

I would expect better from a mod.:thumbsdow

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
its your opinion. I find it makes the job quicker to clay first. you do it your way and I will do it my way. We will leave it at that.

I would expect better from a mod.:thumbsdow
I expressed my opinion, it seems the resident experet RTexasF disagrees with me, which I do accept and respect, and I will leave it at that without debating how you feel has anything to do with the opinion I am entitled to express. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
looks good man. i just cleaned up my brothers 2002 accord coupe. it was neglected so paint was all rough and dirty. a wash and clay bar fixed that up great. put a layer of wax and called it a day. i was gonna polish but he said he had to leave so i just put on a layer of wax. i need to get a porter cable buffer or something.. the stupid motor trend buffer isnt strong enough lol.

·
6,322 Posts
I did mine this weekend since the weather was so nice. Camera is broken so no pics. Here is what I did which took 4 hours. Exterior only.

1. Sprayed lower half of car with Surf City Grime Destroyer. Let sit a few mins and rinse.

2. The car was pretty clean so didn't use the 2BWM. Started with Surf City shampoo since I wanted to use up what little was left. After soaping a panel and rinsing I soaped up panel again then clayed, soaped panel again and rinsed. I like this method a little better esp since I am getting low on Blue Magic clay lube.

The wash water was getting a little dirty so I switched shampoos in favor of Duragloss #901. Wow, what a difference this stuff is so much slicker. I think it was much more apparent since I could compare them back to back.

3. On the lower half I could still see what looked like little tiny pinhole rust stains...aka rail dust. I used the blue clay bar which couldn't get all the rail dust off even after a fair amt of elbow grease. I should upgrade to the red bar but that will prob leave a fair amt of microscratches. So I'll wait till I have a good quality electric polisher. Spot treated the leftover spots with Duragloss #652 scratch remover(100% polish). This stuff is pretty mild so it took some effort.

4. Duragloss #101 on all painted surfaces, headlights and windshield. This is a sealant which contains some mild polishing agents.

5. Hit tires with Stoners More Shine...good stuff.

6. Used Sparkle Glass cleaner on windows($2.50). Its ok and is safe for tinted windows(has no amonia). I'll get something better next time. Like Sprayway or Zep window cleaner concentrate. I like Invisble Glass much better.

I finished about 2pm and went to mom and dads. Around 7 it started raining so I'm a little concerned about durability. Went home and put it in garage. I'm thinking I'll wash it in 2 weeks weather permitting and add a top coat of DG Aquawax to boost durability. Darn rain.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts