Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
ready to go....
20,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check
Pull the parking brake lever (A) with 196 N (20 kgf, 44 lbf) of force to fully apply the parking brake. The parking brake lever should be locked within the specified number of clicks (B).

Lever locked clicks:

With rear disc:
6 to 9

With rear drum:
4 to 7

Adjust the parking brake if the lever clicks are not within the specification.

Attachments

·
ready to go....
20,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Adjustment
NOTE: After servicing the rear brake shoes, loosen the parking brake adjusting nut, start the engine, and press the brake pedal several times to set the self-adjusting brake before adjusting the parking brake (with rear drum brake).

Raise the rear of the vehicle, and support it with safety stands in the proper locations.

Remove the center console.

Pull the parking brake lever up one click.

Attachments

·
ready to go....
20,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tighten the adjusting nut (A) until the parking brakes drag slightly when the rear wheels are turned.

Release the parking brake lever fully, and check that the parking brakes do not drag when the rear wheels are turned. Readjust if necessary.

Pull the parking brake all the way up, and make sure the parking brakes are fully applied.

Reinstall the center console.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
I did this.. and now my brakes squeal like mad!!! =(

·
Registered
306 Posts
no.. i think i just need new rotors... =P
last time I had them turned, it was pretty badly warped... and I've had about 78000 km on them already... I think I will put up with the noise, and change the rotors after winter...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Princess,
can you post instructions on how to remove center console?

·
ready to go....
20,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's been posted several times....here it is again...

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Does anyone know how to remove a 2008 Accord sedan e-brake handle?
I'm having the gear shift knob leather wrapped and I would also like to have the e-brake leather wrapped.

Ant

·
ready to go....
20,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can't get the handle instructions... which usually means it's obvious... here's the center console instructions.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just as a note, it is not necessary to remove the entire center console in the 2003-2007 Honda Accords in order to adjust the e-brake.

Honda provides an access panel at the back of the console that may be removed to adjust the brake.

1) Remove the two exposed screws at the rear of the center console, one on each side of the console, that are down and close to the floor. They are the only exposed screws you will see at the back of the console.

2) Using your fingers, gently pry evenly on both sides of the rear center console cover, starting from the bottom up. there are several alignment tabs up the sides, and two clips at the top, near where the center console lid attaches to the console.

3) Once the panel pops free, you will be able to see the adjuster underneath the center console bin, by looking up under the console. You may wish to use a light to make it more visible. Using a 12MM socket, and an extension, you can adjust the parking brake without removing the center console.

4) When finished, installation of the access panel is the reverse of removal.

Here is a link to an image on Majestic Honda that shows the rear panel clearly:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgry2=2006&catcgry3=4DR+EX+V6&catcgry4=KL5AT&catcgry5=CONSOLE

It would be represented by part #11 or #12 respectively.

·
1,926 Posts
Instructions are very helpful. Went through this over the weekend, because I had no parking brake. Raised the rear and found the left wheel spinning freely and the right wheel held pretty firmly. Had about 50% of left pads left and hardly any on the right side. Replaced both calipers, pads and rotors but found right side still engages more aggressively than left. I backed it off to where I still have parkng brake effect but it's all from the right and engagement is not within specs.

Any idea what could be causing this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just as a note, it is not necessary to remove the entire center console in the 2003-2007 Honda Accords in order to adjust the e-brake.

Honda provides an access panel at the back of the console that may be removed to adjust the brake.

1) Remove the two exposed screws at the rear of the center console, one on each side of the console, that are down and close to the floor. They are the only exposed screws you will see at the back of the console.

2) Using your fingers, gently pry evenly on both sides of the rear center console cover, starting from the bottom up. there are several alignment tabs up the sides, and two clips at the top, near where the center console lid attaches to the console.

3) Once the panel pops free, you will be able to see the adjuster underneath the center console bin, by looking up under the console. You may wish to use a light to make it more visible. Using a 12MM socket, and an extension, you can adjust the parking brake without removing the center console.

4) When finished, installation of the access panel is the reverse of removal.

Here is a link to an image on Majestic Honda that shows the rear panel clearly:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgry2=2006&catcgry3=4DR+EX+V6&catcgry4=KL5AT&catcgry5=CONSOLE

It would be represented by part #11 or #12 respectively.
Thanks for the link. I was actually looking for the rear panel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Parking brake only works half

:wave: HELP PLEASE!!
My parking brake was very loose, every time I pulled it I'd hear over 12 clicks and the handle ended up being really high! However the driver's side wheel still wouldn't lock. So I checked and tightened the adjusting nut by following the procedures that were posted before. Now, the brake handle feels tighter and lower. The pasenger's side wheel would be locked in just 4 or 5 clicks. Unfortunately, there is still NO change to the driver's side. Even if I pulled the brake handle for 8 or 9 clicks, the driver's side wheel would still spin freely like lottery spinner :paranoid:
What could cause this problem? And what should I do? :dunno::dunno:

·
ready to go....
20,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The most common cause is a seized up brake cable to that side. The other cause is caliper binding up. Youll Ned to be under the car watching the brake cable while someone is pulling the brake handle to figure it out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The most common cause is a seized up brake cable to that side. The other cause is caliper binding up. Youll Ned to be under the car watching the brake cable while someone is pulling the brake handle to figure it out.
:yes:
I realized the driver's side cable is definitely looser than the other side. This even makes the pin which connects both cables tilt to right when I pull the lever.

·
Registered
27 Posts
:yes:
I realized the driver's side cable is definitely looser than the other side. This even makes the pin which connects both cables tilt to right when I pull the lever.
how the hell can i fix that kind of problem? such a pain in the arse. what do i need to replace? sorry i am not really good at this just hoping i could fix it myself.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts