Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting 2014 Accord Sport in two days and this is my first new car. I want to make sure I do everything right with this car and fix anything mistakes that I make. One of the mistakes would be that I rarely use parking brake; I would use it on hills only. But I heard that not using it can damage your parking pawl and transmission. Some people say that it is not true. Does anyone use parking brake every time they park?

·
Wanda Honda
458 Posts
Stop worrying about things like this. Just drive it like you would with any other car. Like you said earlier, I also only use the parking brake when I'm parking my car at an incline/decline. When the ground is level, just put it in Park. Not going to harm anything.

·
PLATINUM PLAYER
82 Posts
You just voided your warranty pal

2014 Sport Sedan 6MT

·
Tampa FL
374 Posts
I'm getting 2014 Accord Sport in two days and this is my first new car. I want to make sure I do everything right with this car and fix anything mistakes that I make. One of the mistakes would be that I rarely use parking brake; I would use it on hills only. But I heard that not using it can damage your parking pawl and transmission. Some people say that it is not true. Does anyone use parking brake every time they park?
If you have a CVT you can use it or not, if you have a Manual transmission you HAVE to use it; I personally use it no matter what transmission I have.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Congrats on your first new car. Everyone remembers their first new car like the first time they got lucky. :)

The most important thing is to drive the car moderately for the first couple of thousand miles. Try not to slam on the brakes for the first 300 miles, of course you can slam them to avoid an accident. Of course you could say driving the car moderately all the time will extend the life of any car. If you have an automatic transmission make sure that the car is completely when shifting from reverse to drive. Otherwise, drive normally and enjoy your new toy.

·
Elvira
3,609 Posts
I always use mine even if not on hill if only to remove any possible tension on automatics parking pawl. But the real reason to use it regularly is if you don't move the parking brake mechanism in the rear of the car on the brakes, it can eventually get rusted up and seize closed when you DO eventually use it.

Happened to me on a 89 Integra. Never really used it for years, then literally one day parking on a steep hill I engaged PB. When I tried to disengage it the handle in the car fell limp to the console and when I tried to drive off the PB was STILL engaged. It finally snapped loose enough to stop dragging. Went under car and the whole mechanism was covered in rust, dirt etc. Cleaned it, PB blasted it, and exercised it forever since on all cars I own.

My experience. Take it or leave it.:thmsup:

Miker

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
I only use the parking brake on hills or when I'm jacking up the front.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
The only time I use the parking brake is if I am parked on a hill. Otherwise, I just put it in Park and leave. When I was teaching my son to drive his driving instruction manual said to apply the parking brake every time you park the car. It doesn't hurt.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts

·
Honda Nation
1,679 Posts
My first car was an '85 Buick Regal. It was my stepdad's, he never used the brake. First time I used it the cable broke.

So, you don't have to use it at all. Ever. But then that one time you try, SNAP!

Plus there's molly lube at some points in the mechanism, using it at least once in a while keeps the lube circulated.

·
Tampa FL
374 Posts
Why? :dunno:

Jay
Jay, the reason is because it's not a good to leave the car in gear when you park. What happens if you are parked, with the car in gear and you get rear ended? It can cause transmission damage, I know because it happened to my dad's car.

An automatic transmission has the P but a manual transmissions does not.

You are supposed to leave the transmission in neutral and engage the parking break.

Ever wonder why is called PARKING BRAKE?

My $0.02

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,218 Posts
FYI: Your car will come with an owners manual. Read it and then read it again.

Don't know what you're doing? Look in the owners manual. Have a question? Look in the owners manual. There will more than likely be an answer in it.

Honda recommends that you always use the parking brake.

Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Circle

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Circle

This topic has also been addressed before: Engaging the parking brake when you park your car

I have always used the parking brake, no matter if I'm parking on a flat surface or on an incline. Many car manufacturers do not recommend using only the parking pawl. Only using the parking pawl puts the transmission and driveline components under stress and can cause eventual failure. Do you really think it's safe to rely only on a tiny pin hold a 3,200 lb car?

Automotive tire Gear Rim Font Bicycle part

Setting the parking brake can also prevent accidents from happening.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/new...ruck-by-vehicle-pleasanton?source=most_viewed
PLEASANTON -- A 3-year-old boy suffered minor injuries Friday evening when he was struck by a parked car that started moving in a driveway because its emergency brake was not set properly, police said.

About 6 p.m., the boy and an 18-month-old girl were near the rear of the unattended vehicle when it began rolling backward near a home on Harvest Road, said Lt. Jim Knox.

The car's back tire rolled over the boy's thigh before a parent pulled him from underneath the moving vehicle, Knox said.

He was airlifted to Stanford Hospital in Palo Alto, where it was determined that his injuries were not major, police said.

The girl, who was checked by paramedics at the scene, suffered minor bruises, authorities said. Police said they were not sure if she was struck by the car or was knocked over by the parent who saved the boy.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Thanks for reminding me that the parking brake is an important safety device. In my garage I can just use the transmission in park Snce the floor is level. At all other places both the transmission in Park and the parking brake set. I assume setting the parking brake first while holding the car still with the brakes and then putting the transmission into Park will reduce the strain on the transmission.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Wow....this thread should be good for at l;east 20 pages. Six year olds discussing sex.

·
Registered
884 Posts
You just voided your warranty pal

2014 Sport Sedan 6MT
Lol c'mon man.

Thanks for reminding me that the parking brake is an important safety device. In my garage I can just use the transmission in park Snce the floor is level. At all other places both the transmission in Park and the parking brake set. I assume setting the parking brake first while holding the car still with the brakes and then putting the transmission into Park will reduce the strain on the transmission.
^exactly this. Do you HAVE to use your parking break all the time? Not really. But if you follow this procedure you will eliminate any chance of damaging the parking pawl. Level ground or not.

When stopped, leave foot on brake
Engage parking brake
Shift to Park.

Wow....this thread should be good for at l;east 20 pages. Six year olds discussing sex.
Typical DA thread. Opinions and beating a dead horse :p

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
Engaging the parking brake is just a good habit to get into. It definitely won't hurt anything to use it and as has been discussed, bad things can happen when you don't.

Safety first.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for all the responses. It seems like I will use parking brakes because it seems that pros outweighs cons heavily. What are the steps though? Leave foot on brakes, put into park, engage parking brake then lift foot from brake?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Jay, the reason is because it's not a good to leave the car in gear when you park. What happens if you are parked, with the car in gear and you get rear ended? It can cause transmission damage, I know because it happened to my dad's car.

An automatic transmission has the P but a manual transmissions does not.

You are supposed to leave the transmission in neutral and engage the parking break.

Ever wonder why is called PARKING BRAKE?

My $0.02
LOL wut? You Leave It In Gear SoThat If The Parking Brake Fails You Don't Roll. Apologies Fir The Formatting, My Phone Doesn't handle The Web Very Well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts