Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the DC Auto Show today, I parked in a garage near the convention center. I come back, the attendant says my car won't start. He said it just beep beep beep. I said where's the fob? He's like I don't know it ran before but when I turn it off it won't start back. I said yes moron I handed you the fob when I got out. And he turned the car off and restarted it, because I heard it.

Anyway 2 HOURS of this BS until my roommate brought my spare key. I also filed a police report just in case the parking facility doesn't follow through on paying for a replacement. I had them bring the owner to the location, got his business card and cell number. And he fired the attendant who lost my fob on the spot.

I'm worried that this fob will still open my car though. I don't keep my registration or anything else in the car with my home address. I also took the key out of the fob since I locked the glovebox etc. so they only have the fob. I live about 50 miles away from the garage, so I'm not extremely worried.

I also wish touching the KEY to the start button worked for starting the car too. :(

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Wow! I would think that the parking lot attendant would leave the key fob in the car somewhere such as the little compartment where the USB and Powerport are located or in the center console. I would never let anyone park my car. No valet parking or attended parking garages. I don't even like parking near other cars. If I have to go downtown I will park at a rail transit parking lot and take the tran or bus.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Get a new fob or have the dealer resync the current key fob.
Either of which will remove the lost fob from the car's memory. ;-)

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the blade key out of the fob, which is good so I don't have to have any locks changed. I think I can just order a new fob, have it programmed, and take the existing blade I have and put it in the new remote. Is this the case?

Flyboy I've valet parked my car dozens of times without even thinking about it. They have insurance to cover this type of thing, it happens. Their initial attitude is what pissed me off though.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yes since you have the blade you don't have to buy a new blade. Or was it have it keyed. Either way it saves you some $ by having the blade.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
BTW how was the auto show? Kind of like asking, 'So tell me Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play' :)

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW how was the auto show? Kind of like asking, 'So tell me Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play' :)
Haha that's the funniest thing you've said ever :thmsup: just kidding lol

The show was nice. Much better than Baltimore's ever is. At least most of the vehicles' power was on and the seats worked. I also paid $14 for 2 tickets. I wish they had big debuts like Detroit etc. do. Maybe I'll make it to Detroit's again if it would stop snowing in January lol

I'd be more upset if I'd lost the key AND the fob. My roommate also brought me the spare key, so the car wasn't stuck overnight in DC. It could've been worse I suppose. Had it been a conventional key, I'd have to have everything changed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Remember to bring both the new fob and the old spare to the dealer. They will have to reprogram both at the same time. You can get the new fob from College Hills or Majestic. It will be cheaper than the dealership. The dealer will charge to reprogram them though.

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
Wow, I have never heard of this happening to anyone. However, I once gave my car to the valet and then realized when I came back to retrieve the car that I did not leave my smart key fob with the valet (it was in my pocket). The valet had to come get the fob from me. I was quite embarrassed and thankful that they did not have to restart the car while I was gone.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thanks flyboy, I think I just peed myself!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Valet parking can be...interesting...

More than one crime ring has been broken up with friends of the valet parkers getting a call when you drop your car off with your home address and people go and rob your house, knowing you are gone and what time you leave from the restaurant.

But my favorite valet story was I went on a day business trip with a co-worker. He rented a car that we used for the day. We got done with our work and went to a restaurant before our flight home. We valet parked, ate, got the car back and went to the airport Avis agency to return the car. The only problem was the valet parkers gave us the wrong rental car - one from Hertz! It was the same model and color as ours. Since it was just a day trip, we had left nothing in the car that tipped us off. The guys at Avis just laughed and said it happens somewhat frequently and they took care of it for us.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Another crime that is a variation on the valet parking scam is stealing your GPS. The crooks notice the suction cup ring on your windshield or spot your portable GPS. They break into your car and steal your GPS. While you are filling out the report with the police about the theft, the crooks are at you house cleaning out your stuff. If your garage door opener is also missing they may have backed a truck into your garage to haul your stuff away faster. My GPS Home button is set to the location of our nearby Chinese restaurant. I have considered setting to the address of a neighbor I don't like. :nuts:

·
Elvira
3,587 Posts
Another crime that is a variation on the valet parking scam is stealing your GPS. The crooks notice the suction cup ring on your windshield or spot your portable GPS. They break into your car and steal your GPS. While you are filling out the report with the police about the theft, the crooks are at you house cleaning out your stuff. If your garage door opener is also missing they may have backed a truck into your garage to haul your stuff away faster. My GPS Home button is set to the location of our nearby Chinese restaurant. I have considered setting to the address of a neighbor I don't like. :nuts:
Put the local constabulary address as home on the GPS.:naughty:

Also another reason I don't have Homelink programmed in case they also take the car. This literally happened to a neighbor. They took her car and read the regitration card address and opened the garage with her Homelink button. Robbed the house and took it in her own car. talk about adding insult to injury she gave them the key to everything innocently, but none the less.

When the cops caught the crooks the stuff was still in her trunk.

Miker

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't keep anything with my address, my registration, or my house keys in my car for this reason. I don't have a garage, so no opener. I've heard of these rings where the valet has someone go to your house while you're out and clean you out. I also have a security alarm at home, so I feel confident there.

I was going to go to the dealer and get the fob as long as it's in stock. I will have #2 with me as it's the only one I have right now. The quicker I get the fob replaced, the quicker the 'lost' fob is unattached from my car. Also I'm glad I took the blade out of the fob, that's the most expensive part!

Another KILLER is there was another 2013 Accord EX-L sedan (MSM) in the garage across from mine. The attendant pulls out that one's fob and says 'this is it try this' I said um that's not my car the fob will not start ANY Honda Accord. What an idiot!!!

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got my new fob today, $151 at the dealer. I'm glad I don't have to worry about the possibility of my car being stolen lol

·
Registered
410 Posts
Since I'm anal-retentive about my car, I've always wondered if I could just drive past a valet stand, park the car, then when they start bee-yatching at me, just slip 'em a $50 and say "STFU!" :dunno:

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since I'm anal-retentive about my car, I've always wondered if I could just drive past a valet stand, park the car, then when they start bee-yatching at me, just slip 'em a $50 and say "STFU!" :dunno:
It was $30 for them to park it. The guy wasn't going to let me pull the car out due to 'insurance regulations'. I said well you already lost my key so you're not touching this car, get outta my way or you're gonna be looking at my engine cradle from underneath!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts