Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be traveling for a bit over 5 weeks next month. Is there anything I need to do to prepare the vehicle to be parked during that time?

I'm mostly concerned with the battery, and whether I will be able to start the car when I get back.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I travel for long times and I just use a trickle charger hooked to the battery. Car starts fine after sometimes 7 weeks. You can buy trickle charges for under $50. They charge the battery very slowly...first time on the car it could take a day or two to fully charge the battery. When the battery is fully charged, the charger shuts off and doesn't start up again until the voltage drops to a certain amount (maybe 12.5V). Now if you don't have a garage and the car sits outside all day and all night, you might want to buy a regular battery charger...charge the battery (takes a few hours maybe); unhook the charger and you're good to go. The battery should hold up fine. My Tacoma Pickup stays outside even in freezing weather, and has no problem starting after 5-6 weeks in the winter when I'm gone.

·
Registered
608 Posts
They have solar panel trickle chargers. You lay the panel on the dash and it's good enough to sufficiently offset the drainage of the security system. I'd always use one in my old Corolla when parked at the airport for weeks at a time as I'd be frequently on travel status. My biggest fear would be coming back on the late flight of the day, tired, raining, and not able to crank. Never happened.

If the car is parked in your own safe garage, I'd just simply disconnect the battery altogether.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Just park it.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I travel for up to two weeks at a time and the car starts just fine after two weeks.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hey Flyboy; it's because you live in Texas!! Those of us in cold weather states have trouble at times starting cars parked outside after being away for several weeks in the winter. It was negative temps last night per many reports. We are returning to NJ from much warmer S.C. tomorrow nite so I shall see. My Accord has been parked there since Xmas eve day. I did back car in in case it needs to be jumped. Right now most likely 8-10" of snow is covering car

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Flyboy could start his car in Texas with a 9 volt Duracell:thmsup:

This link was from member "glen e" and has an interesting write-up about voltage drops and temperature effects on your battery:
http://www.solar-electric.com/deep-cycle-battery-faq.html

Basically, you want to make sure your battery is fully charged before you go on vacation, and cold affects a battery much "better" than does hot temps.

"Even though battery capacity at high temperatures is higher, battery life is shortened. Battery capacity is reduced by 50% at -22 degrees F - but battery LIFE increases by about 60%. Battery life is reduced at higher temperatures - for every 15 degrees F over 77, battery life is cut in half. This holds true for ANY type of Lead-Acid battery, whether sealed, gelled, AGM, industrial or whatever."

Agree on battery tenders....cheap insurance.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you can, drive the car for an hour or so straight to put a good charge on the battery, fill it up with gas, and park it. If you're in a salty area this winter, also get it washed before you park it. The battery should be fine for 5 weeks in the cold if it is charged.

The other problem with batteries in the cold is that they do not accept a charge as quickly as the summer, so each start takes more power from the battery, and longer for the battery to get the charge back.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Try a battery tender. I have one attached to my motorbike, which will be parked for the better part of 8 months. Just attach it, then leave it.

batterytender.com

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the response everyone! Forgot to mention that my car (6 months old - so I assume the battery is in good shape) will be parked inside the garage and where I live, temperatures can get very cold.

Do you think the battery will be fine if I simply park the vehicle during that time, without the use of a charger, tender, etc.? I'm curious if anyone has any experience doing the same. Preferably, I'd like to leave it as is, however, if the use of a charger/tender is necessary, I will do so.

Thanks again!

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Depends Dan, I understand you don't want to give away your location but when you say "cold" do you mean you are one of those guys in northern Georgia and "cold" is 48 degrees?

Or are you one of those guys from that place in Canada that Bigfoot hangs out in and "cold" is -28 ?

If it is a secured, private garage (not a condo) then a battery tender is a great thing to have hooked up when you travel. A couple of years ago I went away (for what was supposed to be 2 weeks but became 2 months) and none of the 3 cars in my driveway started! Out came the battery charger.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Your battery should be fine for 5 weeks, but to be on the safe side a battery tender would be great to keep the battery fully charged. Schumacher makes a similar type unit model # SEM-1562a it is $19.98 on Amazon.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts