Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am looking for a new set of rotors and brake pads for my 2000 Accord EX V6. According to RockAuto I only have two options:

Part # KOE1042 POWER STOP 1-Click; Incl. OE Replacement Rotors w/Z16 Ceramic Scorched Pads $125
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4660428&cc=1366691

Part # K1042 POWER STOP Performance Brake Upgrade Kit; Incl. Silver Zinc Plated Cross-Drilled And Slotted Rotors w/Z16 Ceramic Scorched Brake Pads $208
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3805209&cc=1366691

Would you guys know the difference between these two items and if it's worth the $83 difference in price? $83 is nothing to me if the second set will last me 3-4 years longer?!?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I got akebono brake pads and pro stop rotors from pep boys for around $160. These brake pads don't leave a lot of brake dust on my rims so i'm happy about that and the rotors seems fine but i haven't put a lot of miles on them yet.

You can check reviews of the stuff you're interesting in buying on amazon.com and go from there. I went with akebono brake pads cos everyone seemed to be happy with them but i got mixed reviews from the pro stop rotors. So far i'm happy with my purchase and it's been around 5k miles since i replaced the rear pads and rotors.

·
AC6DN
1,327 Posts
I used Slotted Cryo-Treated Rotors ~120ea, and Hawk HPS. Still have them and still Happy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have been impressed with Wagner Thermoquet Ceramic brake pads on other cars. Summary:

- Grab strongly hot, cold or wet
- Amazing resistance to brake fade. I tried to bed them in once a bit to aggressively to the point where the brakes started smoking, yet they never fades.
- Dust level is comparable on typical OEM pads or say Auto Zone's Duralast.

If you want a more extreme brake pad, consider Stop Tech Street Performance. They're race track brake pads, but work very well on the street. Super strong bite when hot. Even cold and wet bite is very good. However, the dust level is quite high. Wheels look covered in a nasty black soot after a month.

As for rotors, just buy standard blank rotors. Those fancy slotted and/or drilled rotors don't do anything for you, other than relieving you of extra cash. A blank steel rotor should do fine. And by the way they're all made in China, probably at the same factory, so just buy the cheapest one. I have had good experience with Advance Auto Parts and NAPA rotors. If you use a coupon code (they change all the time), you can order an AAP part online for a local pickup for the same price as effectively Amazon or Rock Auto, but without having to wait or pay for shipping.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can anyone comment on these specific ones from RockAuto though?? And if their price ranges are worth getting??

They are the only ones they carry and if I make another purchase from RockAuto I might as well buy these too to save on shipping, etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
bought Akebono pads ceramic from ADVANCE AUTO local store....
got Raybestos cheap rotors from RockAuto...with rebate too
after install >brake bleed > 100 miles they are the AWESOME combo...

sans breaking a stud which I had to grind the hub to install the new stud...argh...stupid shop that installed my new tires use impact wrenches too much and too hard

·
AC6DN
1,327 Posts
Even if you dont get exotic slotted or drilled rotors, cyro treated is a plus....
Cheap rotors tend to worp...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can anyone comment on these specific ones from RockAuto though?? And if their price ranges are worth getting??

They are the only ones they carry and if I make another purchase from RockAuto I might as well buy these too to save on shipping, etc.

·
AC6DN
1,327 Posts
Hi guys,

I am looking for a new set of rotors and brake pads for my 2000 Accord EX V6. According to RockAuto I only have two options:

Part # KOE1042 POWER STOP 1-Click; Incl. OE Replacement Rotors w/Z16 Ceramic Scorched Pads $125
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4660428&cc=1366691

Part # K1042 POWER STOP Performance Brake Upgrade Kit; Incl. Silver Zinc Plated Cross-Drilled And Slotted Rotors w/Z16 Ceramic Scorched Brake Pads $208
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3805209&cc=1366691

Would you guys know the difference between these two items and if it's worth the $83 difference in price? $83 is nothing to me if the second set will last me 3-4 years longer?!?

Thanks!!!
Pads look to be the same. Looks like the main diff, is the rotors.
If you do a lot of hi speed driving, well, stopping, the the slotted ones are better. They are zinc plated (if actually), this should mean they should rust less, than the standard type. I prefer slotted only. The only down point is that I dont think you can turn these rotors (or mine). If you run them till the pads touch the rotors, they're done. As in, now are bad. New rotor time.

Most of the forum peops are OEM or go home types. IMO quality Aftermarket will exceed the OEM ~Y2K parts...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts