Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1 of a Kind
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I noticed my Passenger Air Bag "OFF" light was not on when I have noone sitting in the car with me. Thinking that the light maybe out, when I turn the ignition on, the light comes on and then turns off.

:dunno:

Anyone else having this problem??
Is there a setting in the car to change this?

Or is this something I should just take to the dealer to fix?

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
OFF only turns on when there's a passenger in the seat, but they're not heavy enough / sitting in the right position for the airbag to be turned on. Think of it like a warning meant to tell whatever is in the passenger seat that there is no airbag protection.

·
1 of a Kind
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OFF only turns on when there's a passenger in the seat, but they're not heavy enough / sitting in the right position for the airbag to be turned on. Think of it like a warning meant to tell whatever is in the passenger seat that there is no airbag protection.

But if there is no one in the seat and I'm the only one in the car, shouldn't the "OFF" light (Orange light) be lit?

·
1 of a Kind
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never mind, just checked the owners manual, and apparently it stays on the whole time and only turns off is if there is an infant or object weighing 65kg or less.

I guess if you hit someone or something, Honda owners are going to pay a lot to replace that front dash because that airbag will rip through that passenger dash...even if there is no one sitting there.

Honda needs to fix that, so that we only need to replace the steering wheel airbag.

Just don't hit anyone or anything is the only solution :nuts:

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Never mind, just checked the owners manual, and apparently it stays on the whole time and only turns off is if there is an infant or object weighing 65kg or less.

I guess if you hit someone or something, Honda owners are going to pay a lot to replace that front dash because that airbag will rip through that passenger dash...even if there is no one sitting there.

Honda needs to fix that, so that we only need to replace the steering wheel airbag.

Just don't hit anyone or anything is the only solution :nuts:
Better safe than sorry. And if you hit somthing hard enough to deploy the bags, there is a good chance the car is getting totaled. Notice I said good chance. Insurance companies know this and have adjusted your rates accordingly.

Jay

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Just to quote the manual:

This indicator alerts you that the
passenger’s front airbag has been
shut off because weight sensors
detect about 65 lbs (29 kg) or less
(the weight of an infant or small
child) on the front passenger’s seat.
It does there is a problem
with the airbag.

If no weight is detected on the front
seat, the airbag will be automatically
shut off. However, the indicator will
not come on.

Kinda smart since if there's no passenger, what's the point in alerting you the passenger airbag is off?

·
1 of a Kind
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to quote the manual:

This indicator alerts you that the
passenger’s front airbag has been
shut off because weight sensors
detect about 65 lbs (29 kg) or less
(the weight of an infant or small
child) on the front passenger’s seat.
It does there is a problem
with the airbag.

If no weight is detected on the front
seat, the airbag will be automatically
shut off. However, the indicator will
not come on.

Kinda smart since if there's no passenger, what's the point in alerting you the passenger airbag is off?
Just curious cause my Camry showed the "OFF" light.
So moving from the Camry to the Accord, just freaked me out.

No biggy though, just a Accord newbie move :lmao:

·
Registered
608 Posts

:
Seems like this would be the least of your worries if you encountered a situation where the airbags deployed.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
If your car is running and you fasten the passenger belt without a passenger in it (or a small passenger), the light comes on. It only comes in upon startup as a test that it works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts