Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and searched and found nothing like my problem.
I just bought a 2006 EX-L with Navi and she has about 117,000 miles on her.
Here's my problem:

The best way I can describe it is that the passenger seat thinks someone is sitting in it when there is nothing in it at all. Therefore, it turns the "Pass air bag OFF" light off, meaning that the passenger air bag is ON and WILL deploy in an accident. It then makes the seat belt reminder beep every few seconds. I have hit the seat, changed it's position, everything imaginable to fix it and make the light come back on (to indicate there is no passenger) and I can't get it to do it. Sometimes, it will randomly work correctly on its own, but for the most part, I just have the passenger seat belt buckled at all times to avoid the beeping. It looks dumb. Does anyone have any info on how to go about fixing this? I think the problem is a weight sensor is sticking, but I don't know where they are in the seat. There are no air bag codes (i have an OTC scan tool) so there is no help there. Any info is helpful! Thanks!

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
The best way I can describe it is that the passenger seat thinks someone is sitting in it when there is nothing in it at all.

Maybe it's Jesus, ready to take the wheel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lydBPm2KRaU

Check this link out- there are tons of threads about this issue (sometimes you have to search OUTSIDE of DriveAccord and go straight to Google to get more hits.) http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42947

Yes, you CAN replace it, but this is an airbag system sensor (if that is what it is) we are talking about here and this would need to be calibrated by someone who knows what the heck they are doing (NOT me). This is not changing your cabin air filter. I have zero experience with messing with this stuff.

Other hits say to get it scanned (yes, this costs money) and if you do the physical replacement, it should still go to a dealer immediately for calibration.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
Could be a defective passenger belt buckle.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Seat belts are covered for the life of the vehicle (at least in the USA).

·
Registered
274 Posts
Maybe it's Jesus, ready to take the wheel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lydBPm2KRaU

Check this link out- there are tons of threads about this issue (sometimes you have to search OUTSIDE of DriveAccord and go straight to Google to get more hits.) http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42947

Yes, you CAN replace it, but this is an airbag system sensor (if that is what it is) we are talking about here and this would need to be calibrated by someone who knows what the heck they are doing (NOT me). This is not changing your cabin air filter. I have zero experience with messing with this stuff.

Other hits say to get it scanned (yes, this costs money) and if you do the physical replacement, it should still go to a dealer immediately for calibration.
It's definitely Carrie Underwood's doing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same issue, minus the seat belt reminder since my 04 doesn't have that. Is there any necessity in fixing it, other than the fact that it will cost more for repairs if the airbag deploys unnecessarily in an accident?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
This sounds like a bad passenger buckle or a bad weight sensor.

·
Super Moderator
3,432 Posts
If the passenger airbag off light is not lit that means it is operating normally. The light is lit would there is a passenger or object in the seat that is less than 70 pounds.

From my understanding and if I remember correctly if there is no passenger in the seat the airbag will deploy in an accident. It did when I crashed my 03. If a small passenger is in the seat then it won't deploy.

You still have an issue though if the seat belt chime is going off with no one/nothing in the seat. You might need to recalibrate the sensor or replace it.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
If the passenger airbag off light is not lit that means it is operating normally.
+1. You should see the light illuminate during start-up as the car goes through its cycle of dummy lights/tests. Afterwards, the "PASS AIR OFF" should no longer illuminate. This means that the PASS Airbag WILL deflate in the cause of an accident. This is a good thing if you have an adult passenger or even if you are the sole occupant not wearing YOUR seat belt. Having worked in a hospital, I can't tell you what I've seen come through the doors of the E.R. after people have been flown around the vehicle (if not projected out via the windshield) due to not wearing their belt. As also stated, with minor weight, it'll illuminate (i.e. having a child or decent weight package in the front seat).

I agree that you may have a bad sensor somewhere, as your seat belt chime should not be enabled.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honda finally returned my phone call earlier tonight. The "Pass air bag off" light should be illuminated when there is nothing in the passenger seat, or objects less than 65 pounds. That's what honda told me. The guy also said that if the "Pass air bag off" light is not illuminated, the system is thinking something IS sitting in the seat, and requires the seat belt to be buckled. He agreed that a weight sensor is sticking, causing the OPDS to think someone's in the seat, and will make the seat belt reminder ding for the passenger seat.

He stated this:
Normal operation: No passenger/no objects over ~65lbs- light next to hazards button will be illuminated, and will not deploy passenger front air bag in the event of an accident.
Normal operation: Passenger/object over ~65lbs- light next to hazards button will NOT be illuminated, and will deploy passenger front air bag in the event of an accident.
Problematic operation: light next to hazards is NOT illuminated when there is no passenger/object over ~65lbs, indicating passenger front air bag WILL deploy in the event of an accident.
Problematic operation: light next to hazards IS illuminated when there IS a passenger/object over ~65lbs, indicating passenger front air bag WILL NOT deploy in the event of an accident.
*"Light next to hazards" reads Pass Air Bag OFF and is located underneath the clock.*

Last thing he told me is that if the seat belt reminder is dinging with no passenger, then it's a sensor in the seat.

RICKBLAINE: I did search google, none of the issues were the same as mine as they refer to the air bag light in the cluster, not the one next to the flashers button. I appreciate you looking!

03LXV6: from what Honda rep told me, it should not have deployed the passenger front air bag unless there was someone sitting in the seat. Yours may have had a defect as well.

MOBILESS2: I will definitely check the belt buckle itself.

DREAMINACCORD: I always wear my seat belt, I know what can happen when you aren't.

I appreciate everyone's input on this!
I'm leaning towards the weight sensor(s) having issues, but will check the buckle as well. I'm pretty sure the last time I had a buckle problem (on my 6th gen) they told me I had to pay for it until they determined it to be an actual faulty buckle, which they rarely found.

Does anyone know anything about the location of the weight sensors?

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
Glad you heard back from Honda, bud. Oh, and I wasn't trying to imply that you didn't wear your belt lol I was just saying in the event of drivers who don't :)

Idk... I'll have to pay attention next time I'm driving - but I'm pretty sure mine is not constantly illuminated when there is no passenger after the initial dummy checks; yet my seat belt reminder works as it should. It never dings when there isn't a passenger and the light is off; doesn't ding when I have a heavy package (< 50 lbs) sitting on the front seat - yet DOES illuminate (which I find very distracting and annoying) implying proper (< 65 lb) operation; and DOES ding when there really is a passenger who isn't wearing their seat belt.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Does anyone know anything about the location of the weight sensors?
Yes, in the link I referred to earlier (http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42947 ) a member has stated where the location is and even listed the part numbers. If you go to Hondapartsunlimited.com you will see a nice parts diagram of the assembly.

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/...-bumper/front-seat-components-r-manual-seat-2

You did not state if you have a sedan or coupe but a quick search can confirm/deny they are the same parts.

·
Super Moderator
3,432 Posts
Glad you heard back from Honda, bud. Oh, and I wasn't trying to imply that you didn't wear your belt lol I was just saying in the event of drivers who don't :)

Idk... I'll have to pay attention next time I'm driving - but I'm pretty sure mine is not constantly illuminated when there is no passenger after the initial dummy checks; yet my seat belt reminder works as it should. It never dings when there isn't a passenger and the light is off; doesn't ding when I have a heavy package (< 50 lbs) sitting on the front seat - yet DOES illuminate (which I find very distracting and annoying) implying proper (< 65 lb) operation; and DOES ding when there really is a passenger who isn't wearing their seat belt.
So does mine. I can't imagine every Accord I've been in being defective. I believe even the shop manual describes the same operation.

If I had to see that list all the time I'd be annoyed. I was in a Scion the other day and the light was lit all the time to indicate the airbag was on.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
Yea, it would drive me insane if it was constantly illuminated! I agree with you about every Honda you've been in functioning the same way - I think that Honda mechanic may have been talking out his arse just to tell you something is wrong to get you to come in for service? :dunno:

I'll be heading to my parents' later to give her a good wash (I hate winter! All this salt is killing my paint!) :thumbsdow I'll be sure to look if it stays on even though I'm 99.99% it doesn't.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RICKBLAINE: I saw that diagram. Looks like the entire rail is the weight sensor.

DREAMINACCORD: I am anxious to hear back with how your light operates. I do know that he was probably trying to get me to come in for service. I wouldn't dismiss that as a possibility.

What is confusing me is that sometimes it wants the passenger seat belt buckled, and sometimes it doesn't. The only time the seat belt reminder light beeps at me (for the passenger) is when the PASS AIR BAG OFF light is NOT illuminated, indicating the air bag is active. When the light IS illuminated, indicating the air bag isn't active, the seat belt reminder does not beep. I played around with the buckle and no change as far as the behavior of the reminder/air bag light. I didn't spend a lot of time, it's cold here in Missouri!

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
What is confusing me is that sometimes it wants the passenger seat belt buckled, and sometimes it doesn't.
Well see, after what you just said, this is making me think that it is just solely a weight sensor problem. It may have nothing to do with the PASS OFF light but may just be a mere coincidence? Perhaps the faulty sensor is thinking that it is determining a weight over 65 lbs when in actuality there is no weight at all?

Which leaves me to the following questions:

The only time the seat belt reminder light beeps at me (for the passenger) is when the PASS AIR BAG OFF light is NOT illuminated
Is the light illuminated at all times even when there is no passenger? Does it turn off when there IS a passenger? Have you tried testing the cases of starting the car from the passenger seat? Perhaps test it to see if it detects you or not...buckle and unbuckle the seat belt and see what happens with the chime...maybe there is a way you can reset the system by doing this? Do you normally carry a front passenger or is the seat mostly always empty?

When the light IS illuminated, indicating the air bag isn't active, the seat belt reminder does not beep.
Again, I'll have to check what mine does - but that doesn't make any sense. That's basically saying that it doesn't care if children passengers under ~65-70 lbs wear a seat belt lol

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You may be right with the weight sensor being a coincidence with the light. I need to look into that further. But I have not had anything in the passenger seat at all. Ever. Since I have owned the car. Which would mean the light should be constantly on or consistently off.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree with everything here, except for the seat belt warning going off for a passenger who isn't wearing their seat belt. I thought the warning was for the driver only. I guess my passengers have always wore their seat belts, so that's why I've never heard it when I've had a passenger in the car. I'll have to ask my passenger to not buckle their seat belt the next time I go out, to make sure.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
I agree with everything here, except for the seat belt warning going off for a passenger who isn't wearing their seat belt. I thought the warning was for the driver only. I guess my passengers have always wore their seat belts, so that's why I've never heard it when I've had a passenger in the car. I'll have to ask my passenger to not buckle their seat belt the next time I go out, to make sure.
I'm not sure if the seat belt chime was in the 7G ('03-05) but it is definitely in the 7.5G ('06-07). I yell at my buddy every time b/c he never remembers to put on his belt and is oblivious to the chime - so once I hear it I holler at him to put on his belt haha

DJR: I took a video for you; I'm uploading it to YouTube now.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts