Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Passenger Side (Transmission) Mount DIY

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  karmapacox 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Fellas,

I pretty much replaced the Transmission Mount on my accord 2000 manual trans myself and was planning to write a DIY but ran into 2 problems:

1) Redlinemotive.com...they send a mount that didnt have the spacing between the screws right (compared to the orgi about an inch too close)...:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdowtook an hour of "WTF's" and "what did i do wrong?" anxiety before realizing this...

2) I cant find a way to screw left bolt back in [ref: image] (theres no space unless i remove the suction/receiver line "evaporator at the engine side of the firewall"...which i'd dont want to...cuz haynes says its an ac component that needs a pro to do it...

basically, ratchet wont fit due to mount bracket (the order as per my experience/understanding is putting the mount bracket first cuz the mount gets in the way)...

tried the open 17mm wrench but in less than a quarter turn, the suction/receiver lines get in the way....

HELP!!! i'll get right into a detailed DIY if i get this right cuz there seems to be none around the net...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
When I replace the transmissions in these I remove the whole mount and that bracket to make extra room.

Support the trans from below. Remove the center through bolt. Then unbolt the bracket from the transmission and remove it. That's the aluminum part I'm seeing in your pic.

With that out of the way. Lower the transmission slightly and you should have enough room to start and tighten that lower bolt. Use a ratchet and extension with a short 17mm socket or a swivel 17mm socket.

Once that's done, put the bracket back on the trans, lift it up and start the center through bolt. Don't tighten it with the mount preloaded, make sure it's in it's normal rest position before tightening it.

#3 ·
Hey Fred,

I tried what you told me to (lowering the transmission and putting the bracket first) but mine didn't lower enough to go in (even after no jack support on transmission from below)

What did work however was putting my hand in there somehow and handtightening it to max level and then working with the wrench. But thats prolly because I have really small hands.

There must be an easier way!!!

Anyhow, thanks Fred...get on to the DIY on all top 3 mounts once I get the right ones in online.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.