Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering adding the Honda OEM remote engine start to a 2013 EX with push button start.
I know all about the need for the second fob and I know that the engine shuts off when you unlock the door already, but I think I prefer to get OEM anyway.

At least the Honda fob is 2-way unlike many other OEM starters so it will confirm on the little screen if the car actually starts or not and you can extend the running time to 20 minutes.

What kind of range are people seeing in real life with the OEM remote through walls?
I'd like to be able to start my car parked in an outdoor parking lot from inside an office building 10 minutes before I leave work.

When the car is remote started, does the proximity sensor automatic unlock still work so you can unlock the door by just touching the door handle and not have to press the fob button to unlock the door?

·
Registered
19 Posts
As soon as you touch the door handle the vehicle stops running and the door opens as you pull on it. Not sure on the distance, ours has never been tested at any range to speak of. I can do a few test later today if no one else posts a reply by then.

·
Registered
202 Posts
As soon as you touch the door handle the vehicle stops running and the door opens as you pull on it. Not sure on the distance, ours has never been tested at any range to speak of. I can do a few test later today if no one else posts a reply by then.
So the OEM remote start kills the running engine when the door handle is pulled even when the FOB is within range?

My wife's 2008 Ford Expedition will start, lock the doors and continue to run. Unlock doors, insert and turn key before you step on the brake pedal or the vehicle will shut off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Even with the FOB the engine stops. The wifes 2014 CR-V uses a key and hers starts something like you described. Unlocking the door and such.

I stepped off 300 feet, with no obstructions, and the car started with the the remote.

Hope this helps, I can try something else if you'll describe. Sorry re-read your post, through walls, I'll get back to you soon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This time I was 300 feet away, behind a neighbors house, not LOS. It started, don't have any stone office bldgs so this is the best I can offer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
also keep in mind the car will keep a temperature of 72 degrees which is nothing in this Vegas heat

·
Registered
202 Posts
Now that I think about it, with no ignition to key in to, I guess the honda remote start wants to make sure someone doesn't just throw the vehicle into drive and move on out!

·
1 of a Kind
371 Posts
Now that I think about it, with no ignition to key in to, I guess the Honda remote start wants to make sure someone doesn't just throw the vehicle into drive and move on out!
OEM remote start doesn't mean you can just drive away. Although the accord engine shuts off upon vehicle entry, other makes like Ford or Chevy, keeps the engine running after entry and is literally an "engine start" only. No other functions are activated until the key holder turns the key in the ignition or hits the push button start when entered.

So someone driving off with OEM remote start is not possible when they can't even put it in drive.

To be honest with most vehicle technology so advanced these days, remote start is pointless if your only purpose is trying to warm up the engine before your drive. Especially with Honda, you don't need to warm up your engine but a few seconds to get the oil circulated (notice the rev idles down after a few secs from turning the key). Unless you live in the very north with crazy cold winters (but they use engine block heaters).... I'm in South Texas so that's not a problem year round.

Only thing I see the remote start is good for is CLIMATE CONTROL prior to entry. Cool down on a hot summer day or warm it up on cold winter day.

My 2 cents! (Kindof off topic from original title...oh well LOL)

·
Superbikes do it better
515 Posts
Left the car sitting in the garage. Stepped out into the backyard and positioned myself diagonally on the opposite end of the house. The engine started on the first press of the button sequence.

·
Honda Salesman
104 Posts
I have limited experience with it; I've only used it once. I work at a Honda dealer and we don't install the Honda unit unless the customer specifically asks for it. It's range is 1/4 that of the aftermarket one we use, the remote fob is HUGE and only one remote is included. A second fob is something like $300. It's expensive and pretty ridiculous.

EDIT: The 2016 Pilot EX and above have Remote Start built in to the keyless entry fob. I suspect this will trickle down to the new Accord and Odyssey, if not the whole line eventually. While I will miss the profit opportunity of the aftermarket unit, it's about darn time Honda had a factory remote start. GM has been doing it for like a decade.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This time I was 300 feet away, behind a neighbors house, not LOS. It started, don't have any stone office bldgs so this is the best I can offer.
That sounds pretty good for OEM, but I decided I will get a Compustar remote starter with Dronemobile app just so I never have to worry about it not working from inside a building. I want to make sure I can start the car when I'm deep inside a building so the car can be started and run for at least 10 minutes before I get in.
I'm now just debating whether to get an alarm bundle with it or not.

The installer said not getting the alarm won't save much money, but I don't care to have an alarm due to possible false alarms going off and a more involved installation.
I may have him do the alarm version and not enable the sirens so alarms can only go off on the 2-way fob's little speaker and on the app notifications instead of blaring from the car if tripped.
Or I may have him just do the remote starter-only version only even if it only saves $100.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have limited experience with it; I've only used it once. I work at a Honda dealer and we don't install the Honda unit unless the customer specifically asks for it. It's range is 1/4 that of the aftermarket one we use, the remote fob is HUGE and only one remote is included. A second fob is something like $300. It's expensive and pretty ridiculous.

EDIT: The 2016 Pilot EX and above have Remote Start built in to the keyless entry fob. I suspect this will trickle down to the new Accord and Odyssey, if not the whole line eventually. While I will miss the profit opportunity of the aftermarket unit, it's about darn time Honda had a factory remote start. GM has been doing it for like a decade.

You can buy a second Honda remote online for around $70.00 depending on which site you shop

1 - 12 of 12 Posts