Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
181 - 200 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
I hope you are posting this in jest. I doubt that it will it will cause major engine damage………..right away. But it will cause engine damage down the road. Who knows, maybe 20k, maybe 40k…………. But it will. Engines, especially modern engines are designed and set up for specific types or weights of oil. It is not just the inside of the engine block but many other variable parts rely on it. For fun I asked several of my mechanic friends, both on line and in person and everyone was amazed. Not in a good way. Everyone laughed their a$# off over it. Not in a good way. Honestly, and I do not mean any offense, I just want to make my point, only a completely ignorant person would do what you have said you did.
Not a joke at all. Right now I have a mixture of 3 oils in my car; 0W20+5W20+5W30. I honestly did that because it was oil I was going to throw away, but I decided why waste oil that I can just run through my car for like 6,000 miles to "rinse" my engine. Then I realized it seems it dropped my MPG. Since I like to hypermile, I usually get around 60mpg, but I am seeing only around low 50s. So, I was wondering if this mixture of oil is thick and has dropped my MPG. Hence the reason why now I wish to dump the oil sooner. Say sometime between 2,000 to 3,000 miles of use.

When I drain that oil, I am still pondering on the idea of using 2 quarts of Toyota 0W16 mixed with 2 quarts of Castrol High Mileage 0W20. It is not yet set in stone that I will do that, but I am positive I will try it out and see. That is why I went ahead and bought the Toyota 0W16 oil. If I do put this mixture of 0W16/0W20 oil in my car and at some point I feel uncomfortable about it, I will drain it and put 4 quarts of 0W20 back. I am genuinely wondering if it will have a negative impact. I am still looking into that, though I am willing to give this a shot and see.

If I do end up putting this 0W16/0W20 mixture in my car, I will use it for atleast 5,000 miles or more and send a sample to Blackstone for a Used Oil Analysis whenever I change it. It would be interesting to see what the analysis will say.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 · (Edited)
well………good luck I suppose.
I discovered this interesting thread on the 10th gen non hybrid section talking about 0W16.

Did some more reading around and came across some interesting reads I found about 0W16. Posting the links here. Just my interest in this oil and wanting to know more about it. So, saving the links here for if I want to reference myself back to it someday.

Japan has been using 0W16 oil for over 20 years now. In the near future, they will be coming out with 0W8 oil

Basically, 0W16 was introduced mainly to maximize fuel economy for small displacement 4 cylinder cars like the Honda Fit, Toyota Camry, Toyota Camry Hybrid, Honda Accord, Honda Accord Hybrid. And some others.

These 2screen shots are from the link below

Other interesting links...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 · (Edited)
Finally done with this tank of gas. Got a total of 756 miles with 63.5mpg showing on odometer.

When I started this tank of gas, I was getting only about 59mpg. I was thinking it may be the oil change I did with a mixture of 0W20/5W20/5W30. Then I went and checked my psi and saw it was 33psi cold. Well, I bumped it up to 36psi cold. My mpg quickly improved. So, I will always make sure my mpg is at 36psi. That feels comfortable for me with hypermiling and tire wear.

The oem tires are rated for 55,000 miles and 44 maximum psi. My car now has 35,200 miles. The tires are wearing evenly and thread is not even halfway gone because I have done a lot of highway driving. These tires have great reviews and I will use them until atleast 55,000 to 60,000 miles before I will look for new tires for my car.

As you can see in the pic above,, when my DTE turned to zero, I had done 706 miles. I drove an additional 50 miles more after DTE turned 0.

Tomorrow, I have a 500 miles round trip to the Hill Country of Texas in Fredericksburg, TX, for wine tasting where I definitely do not hypermile on the freeway. But I hypermile whenever I get to the city I am visiting. But on the freeway, I enjoy my car especially on that freeway where the speed limit is 75, but every driver there does atleast 85. So, I stretch the Hybrid's legs and enjoy some real spirited driving. If I take some nice pictures at the wineries, I will share some.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 · (Edited)
Had a good drive this weekend to and fro from Fredericksburg, TX for wine tasting. I have plans to go again the weekend in 2 weeks from today when the wine tasting event ends for the month of October. I got to enjoy some very spirited driving pushing the Accord to its limits.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
I just had to capture a pic of my car turning 36,000 miles on odometer which marks the end of its 3 years or 36,000 miles bumper to bumper manufacturer's warranty.

It took me 1 year, 1 month and 17 days to get to 36,000 miles. Car is doing great! Giving me 68mpg with 152.8 miles so far on this current tank of gas.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
We went to Fredericksburg, TX this weekend for more wine tasting. I just have to post some pictures here to remember all the amazing wineries, wines and people we met on this trip.
The wineries we visited yes, Friday...
1. Wimberley Valley Winery

2. Driftwood Vineyards

After that we made a pit stop for some BBQ at Salt Lick BBQ

3. Bell Springs Winery

4. Pedernales Cellars

5. Weeding Oak

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 · (Edited)
The wineries we visited today, Saturday...
1. Farmhouse Vineyards Wine and Market place

2. Westcave Cellars

3. 290 Wine Castle

4. Los Pinos Ranch Vineyards

5. Becker Vineyards

Tomorrow is our 4 hours drive back home.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 · (Edited)
Yesterday was a nice drive back.

As of today, my car is currently at 37,000 miles on odometer. On my next day off from work which is Wednesday, I will do my oil change with a mixture of 0W16/0W20. I will try to use a bigger filter than stock. If it fits, great. If not, I use the oem filter.

I picked up a rock last month on a road trip and my windshield has a crack. I need to contact my insurance company someday around December or January for a new windshield. I think I have coverage for windshield with no deductible.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 · (Edited)
After only 2,800 miles of using the combo oil I made of 0W20/5W20/5W30 to "rinse" my engine, I changed it today.

I used 2 quarts of 0W16 and 2 quarts of 0W20. Let me see how this engine handles this combo for the next 7,000 plus miles I plan to run it.

I need to mention here that I tried installing a larger filter but it would not work since there is no space for it. So, I used the oem specified filter. I returned the larger filter to the store.

The oil looked very dirty for being in use for only 2,800 miles.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 · (Edited)
I just ordered my new drone; the Mavic 3 Fly More Combo. Looking forward to receiving it and going on some scenic drives 5 to 6 hours away to take some scenic shots of nature and some scenic driving videos.

And 3days later, today I ordered the new RC-Pro smart controller for the drone. Total cost of both is $4,525.61!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
I received my M3 FMC tonight at 9:10pm. I had already lost hope of it getting delivered today since UPS tracking said it would be delivered by 7pm tonight. But it was over 2 hours late. I am glad I finally got it. I am not ready to open it yet. I will open it after I receive my RC-Pro coming through FedEx from Hong Kong. Who knows what day it will get here.

·
Registered
‘21 HAH EX-L Platinum White Privilege
67 Posts
Since you’re running some 0w-16 oil I thought you would be interested in the Autozone clearance on Castrol for $4/qt. In a couple weeks it will most likely drop to $2 if you can wait. I’ve been buying up their clearances for years and know their tactics. Between AZ, AAP, and others I haven’t paid more than $2/qt in a decade..current at 124qts. in the stash.

Castrol EDGE 0w16 & 10w30 HM @ A.Zone: $4/qt

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 · (Edited)
Since you’re running some 0w-16 oil I thought you would be interested in the Autozone clearance on Castrol for $4/qt. In a couple weeks it will most likely drop to $2 if you can wait. I’ve been buying up their clearances for years and know their tactics. Between AZ, AAP, and others I haven’t paid more than $2/qt in a decade..current at 124qts. in the stash.

Thanks a lot for this. I already knew about it and that is where I went and loaded up on 0W16 Castrol for $4 each. Here is pic of my stash at home and this is why I will use 0W16 for many more oil changes. Every oil I buy, I buy for half its original price or less.

My next oil change will be 3 quarts 0W16 and 1 quart 0W20, as seen in the pic below. The amough of oil in the pic is good for 3 oil changes. And that means it will last me a while from today. Atleast 20,000 miles from today before I can use up all the oil in this picture.

I hope what you say happens soon about the price dropping to $2. I do visit bobistheoilguy often and that is where I learn of sales and buy my oil and keep at home. If the 0W16 drops to $2, I will buy 8 quarts. That means I will change my oil with 4 quarts of 0W16 for 2 oil changes. I will use 0W16 only as available and if I get it on sale. But my GO TO oil will always be 0W20, if 0W16 is not available on sale. But I feel confident I can mix any oil I feel comfortable with.

Please, if you get a notice of that $4 dropping to $2, kindly send me a message and I will be notified. I will rush to Autozone and buy 8 quarts of 0W16 to use for 2 future oil changes.

Since my current oil change with 2 quarts 0W16 mixed with 2 quarts 0W20, I am averaging 63mpg so far after 437 miles on this tank of gas. Let me see how many miles I end up with on this tank of gas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is my UOA for the factory filled oil on my 2020 HAH.

Factory Filled oil. I ran the oil for 7 months. I put 12,034 miles on the oil.

Links to bobistheoilguy, where I posted it for more feedback...

12,034 UOA on my 2020 HAH posted on bobistheoilguy
Shout out to Blackstone. I have used their service and still have an unused test kit. I am currently waiting for the delivery of my 2021 Accord Touring. I will be using that kit.
I had a choice between an EX-L Hybrid and this Touring. I have had three Toyota Hybrids in the last 13 years and will miss the good gas milage. But it's an Accord. My last Honda was a 1999 CR-V. My '95 EXL 5 speed was my favorite car of all I have owned. The Touring is the closest to that car. I drove the EX-L hybrid and was impressed with the performance. But the test drive in the Touring and getting on the interstate and the grin inducing acceleration sealed the deal.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·

You called it! Now the price has dropped to $2 a quart for 0W16.

I just checked bobistheoilguy and they were saying it has dropped to $2. So, I checked my local zip code. Bam! It shows it is $2.

Time to go shopping for 8 quarts of 0W16 oil. So, my next oil change will likely be 4 quarts of 0W16! Now I will have oil for the next 5 oil changes. I think I will be doing 5,000 miles oil changes so as to use these up, though 5,000 miles OCI is a waste of oil. We shall see how I feel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You called it! Now the price has dropped to $2 a quart for 0W16.

I just checked bobistheoilguy and they were saying it has dropped to $2. So, I checked my local zip code. Bam! It shows it is $2.

Time to go shopping for 8 quarts of 0W16 oil. So, my next oil change will likely be 4 quarts of 0W16! Now I will have oil for the next 5 oil changes. I think I will be doing 5,000 miles oil changes so as to use these up, though 5,000 miles OCI is a waste of oil. We shall see how I feel.
I’m a firm believer in changing oil at 1/2 the recommended interval. Since I can do an oil change myself paying less than $10 it’s worth it. The oil gets recycled along with the filter so what’s the harm?

Just changed my oil today at 15k for the fourth time. One new Fram Ultra filter at 5k. Total outlay less than $40 for all of it.

Since it’s getting cold here I’m running straight 0w-20 instead of a mix with 5w-30 to push me to the high end of a 20 grade.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Another thought about your 0w-16. The KV100 value of 7.4cSt puts it into the overlap of 0w-20 oils. 20 grades can go as low as 6.90cSt up to 9.29cSt and be called a 20.

Cold weather performance is actually better for Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 as it has a lower CCS rating and lower pour point than Castrol 0w-16. Of course at -35C I would rather be inside.

Now that it’s $2 I’ll buy a few to mix with the stash of 5w-30 I have. I just picked up 4 jugs of PPPP 0w-20 for $8/jug too. So many choices!

181 - 200 of 214 Posts