Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
201 - 214 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 · (Edited)
Another thought about your 0w-16. The KV100 value of 7.4cSt puts it into the overlap of 0w-20 oils. 20 grades can go as low as 6.90cSt up to 9.29cSt and be called a 20.

Cold weather performance is actually better for Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 as it has a lower CCS rating and lower pour point than Castrol 0w-16. Of course at -35C I would rather be inside.

Now that it’s $2 I’ll buy a few to mix with the stash of 5w-30 I have. I just picked up 4 jugs of PPPP 0w-20 for $8/jug too. So many choices!
Nice to know. So from what you are saying, you believe if I run 4 quarts of 0W16, I have absolutely nothing to worry about as 0W16 is actually like 0W20? Well, I think my next oil change will be 4 quarts of 0W16.

It is really cold out here now in Texas but the cold is nothing like up north. I am not getting very good mpg (though still in the 60s) and who knows if my tire psi has dropped a bit too because of the cold.

That is a good price @$8 for a jug of Pennzoil Platinum 0W20. Your stash must be A LOT! Where do you live? If I knew you had that much stash of over 124 quarts of oil at your house, I would have asked for your address on my road trips that I just finished a few months ago so I could stop by to say hello and get like 12 quarts from you. You have a lot of oil at home. No telling how long it would take to go through all of that.

Well, with this $2 sale, I am going tomorrow to buy 8 quarts. Maybe I might buy 12 quarts. My total stash would have enough oil for 5 or 6 oil changes. If I do 5,000 miles OCI, that means it would last me for 30,000 miles. Wow. That is a long time to go without buying oil again.

·
Registered
‘21 HAH EX-L Platinum White Privilege
67 Posts
Here’s a viscosity chart. You can see there’s overlap between 16 and 20 grades. The big difference is HTHS is thinner for a 16. It’s not that much lighter. Places like rings and cam lobes see high pressure and high temperatures. I think you should have complete confidence running the 0w-16 for your daily drive. If it were me, I would mix the TGMO with 5w-30 to thicken it, and run the Castrol straight. If you go hammering across the US at high speeds again the 20 will give more protection. I’m in WI and we see below freezing temps several times each winter. I know the engine will start fine at those temps, I’m worried about the hybrid battery not being able to wake up!

Castrol 0w-16 has a KV100 of 7.4cSt so it’s a light 20, but it’s HTHS viscosity puts it in the 16 range. Toyota oil looks to be 6.7 cSt so it’s definitely a 16. They put a big dose of molybdenum for anti-wear. Pennzoil is 7.6cSt And seems to have a big dose of boron for AW additive.
Azure Font Line Rectangle Screenshot

I have three vehicles I service and three motorcycles, plus small engines so I just buy oil when it’s on clearance in the grades I need. Typical time on my shelf is less than 3 years. I know I’m going to use it and it doesn’t go bad.

https://pqia.org/pennzoil-hybrid-sae-0w-16-full-synthetic-motor-oil/
TGMO VOA 0W16 API SP GF6

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
I think you should have complete confidence running the 0w-16 for your daily drive.

Castrol 0w-16 has a KV100 of 7.4cSt so it’s a light 20, but it’s HTHS viscosity puts it in the 16 range. Toyota oil looks to be 6.7 cSt so it’s definitely a 16. They put a big dose of molybdenum for anti-wear. Pennzoil is 7.6cSt And seems to have a big dose of boron for AW additive.
Thanks a lot for all that good information. I have learned a lot from many of you guys on here and I appreciate it a lot.

Now I know for a fact I am good using 0W16. I will use ONLY 0W16 for my next 3 oil changes. Honda made 0W16 for the hybrid, but I wonder why they are not allowing us in the US to use it. Nonetheless, I am using it in my vehicle.

I went and bought some today and arranged them the way I plan to do my future oil changes as shown in the pic below. I have enough for 5 oil changes. Including what I am currently running in my car now. Doing 5,000 miles OCI, all this should last me 30,000 miles or 40,000 miles, if I did 7,000 miles OCI. So, my odometer should be reading about 70,000 miles or 80,000 miles by the time I am done using all this oil. Well, that will be atleast 2 years from today. So, a long ways from today.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
On this tank of gas I got 63.5mpg with 750 miles.

I just filled up and it is 7pm and I am about to leave on a long road trip to Canada. I plan to also visit Mt. Rushmore and the largest truck stop in the US which is on I-80 in Iowa. I plan to share some pictures along the way.

Because of the cold weather up north and because we loaded the car a lot, I set my psi to 40psi.

Let us see how this Accord handles.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 · (Edited)
Visiting the Largest Truck Stop in the US today in Walcott, Iowa.
Aerial shots done with my new Mavic 3 drone.

These below were shot at 6am this morning just before sun rise.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
The truck stop has a car museum which is FREE and offers some really good looking trucks with some good history to go along with it.

There is a donation box for anybody willing to donate. You will find yourself donating after appreciating all the trucks on display.

Here are a few that I liked.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 · (Edited)
I am in Bloomington, IA. I saw this and wanted my Accord to experience its first "snow". This is at Buck Hill. And I flew my drone for aerial shots.

Getting to Fargo, ND late this night. Just loved how bright this 18 wheeler truck looks at night.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
I am in Canada right now. It is very cold as temperature now is -6. We have been able to visit some places and I got to order a custom case for my drone from a very reputable custom case shop called BIG DEAL Custom Cases. They made a custom Nanuk 925 case for my drone and I liked the results.

They carry a lot of Nanuk cases. I was lucky they had what I wanted. The 925 case and the strap.

Here are pictures to share. So, this is the first custom Nanuk 925 case out so far. Nanuk has not released its own yet. I will be curious to see how it compares to mine.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 · (Edited)
Mount Rushmore

Sylvan Lake all frozen, you could ice skate at your own risk

Needles Eye, Custer State Park, South Dakota

Custer State Park

Crazy Horse

Skyline Drive in Canon City, Colorado

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 · (Edited)
I installed my new tires today. Continental Contact Plus A/S 215/55R17. Which is a different size from stock size 225/50R17. I am running my new tires at 36psi, but ny next day off from work, I will be running 40psi.

My old tires were a little worn on the inside, showing an alignment problem. So, I went in for an alignment. I bought the Firestone Lifetime Alignment for $194, which includes tax.

OEM tires were rated for 55,000 miles. I got only 42,000 miles before replacing.
These new tires are rated for 70,000 miles. I hope I get 50,000 miles before I replace them. I like to replace my tires at 3/11.
I changed my oil today after only 26 days of use and 5,600 miles put on it, to 4 quarts of 0W16. As from today henceforth, I will be using only 0W16 now for the next 4 oil changes. I plan to change my oil about every 6,000 to 7,000 miles, which at that point is about 50% showing on my Oil Life Monitor.

I changed cabin and air filter.

Now I am set to start hypermiling to find out if this helps in any way improve my mpg.

·
Registered
‘21 HAH EX-L Platinum White Privilege
67 Posts
Based on those alignment numbers I would have expected outside edge wear with that much positive toe in the rear. it looks like your steering wheel wasn’t centered, but could have been offset because the car was dog-tracking a bit. Since the Accord has a fair amount of negative camber in the rear it was scrubbing those tires a bunch.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
I always like to summarize my trips in numbers.

Days on trip: 11 days
Total mileage driven: 4,864 miles
MPG: 35.6 mpg
Total Cost of gas for this trip: $425.37

201 - 214 of 214 Posts