Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
First road trip with my Accord. 4 hours one way. Houston to the Hill Country town of Fredericksburg, TX. Used econ mode for the whole trip and used cruise control as often as possible. Speed limit is 75 and I set cruise control at 80. Every normal car passed me on the road as most people were doing 85 and above. My average speed was about 70 and out of the 300 miles covered by the end of the day, consumption was 43mpg. Not the best I was hoping for, but looks good to me since I used only half a tank of gas to drive 300 miles today.
Cruising at 80mph with my V1 Gen2. But every decent car on the road zoomed past me doing 85 and above.

My Accord posing for a shot at the first winery we stopped at.

Next winery was Fat Ass winery. I strongly recommend. It was so much fun here. Life music. People dancing, interacting with other and just a very joyful atmosphere.

After doing the tasting here, bought some wine and called it a day.

Tomorrow is my return trip from Fredericksburg to Houston. Another 4 hours drive. This time, I will do the whole trip in Sports mode. I want to see what the Hybrid can do.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Just got home from my weekend road trip and the first trip with my Hybrid. I am pretty impressed. Going was a nice and simple ride with the flow of traffic where I was doing most of the time 80. Spees limit was 75 and I set my cruise to 80, but every single decent car just zoomed passed me.

Today was my 4 hours drive back home. Today was the day to test its capabilities and performance. It didn't disappoint. Sports Mode was pretty good, but I found that Normal mode has the best balance of some spirited driving and just cruising some times. But normal mode tops out at one fifteen! I don't know if it would have been any different if I had it in Sports Mode.

The Hybrid is pretty peppy for quick bursts to overtake and quickly get back on the slow lane to cruise.

Overall, I have seen the limits of the Hybrid and spirited driving comes at a huge cost of very poor gas mileage. It was a nice test for me to see how the hybrid performs on normal drives and on long spirited road trips.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
MotorTrend wrote an article on the Accord and said if Honda were to build a Type R of the 10th gen, it should look like this. I like the way it looks and decided to save the picture on my thread since it is a good picture to stumble upon.

·
Registered
339 Posts
First road trip with my Accord. 4 hours one way. Houston to the Hill Country town of Fredericksburg, TX. Used econ mode for the whole trip and used cruise control as often as possible....

Tomorrow is my return trip from Fredericksburg to Houston. Another 4 hours drive. This time, I will do the whole trip in Sports mode. I want to see what the Hybrid can do.
Today was my 4 hours drive back home. Today was the day to test its capabilities and performance. It didn't disappoint. Sports Mode was pretty good, but I found that Normal mode has the best balance of some spirited driving and just cruising some times. But normal mode tops out at one fifteen! I don't know if it would have been any different if I had it in Sports Mode.

I don't know exactly why, but you may need to compare round trips.

About once a week, we take a 40+40 mile round trip from Columbia, MD to Arlington, VA, to babysit the grandkids It's about 60% between mostly 55 mph speed limits, 30% 45 mph, and some local. But regardless of time-of-day (unless there is significant traffic), I get about 57 mpg outbound, and 51 mpg back. Part of that is due to elevation changes. The net change is not that much, but it is mostly at one end:

I can actually watch the Trip A meter (reset at the beginning of the round trip) go down by 1 to 2 mpg as I climb the last hill.

I do most of my driving in ECON mode with cruise control; it reacts more slowly when I hit heavy traffic. SPORT is uncomfortable due to jerky acceleration. But I do punch the SPORT button when I anticipate the need.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
About once a week, we take a 40+40 mile round trip from Columbia, MD to Arlington, VA, to babysit the grandkids It's about 60% between mostly 55 mph speed limits, 30% 45 mph, and some local. But regardless of time-of-day (unless there is significant traffic), I get about 57 mpg outbound, and 51 mpg back.
Thanks for this input. You get some amazing gas mileage. Looking at your trip. It is 40 miles of mostly 55mph and a little 45mph. I can see why you are getting such great mileage. I hear that is the sweet spot on these hybrids.

Mine was on a longer trip. Houston to Fredericksburg. 240 miles. Speed limit is 75 for most of the journey. I set my cruise control on 80 for 3/4 of the journey and a few times, I stepped on it to get to 85 to pass 18wheelers. But at my speed of 80, every single normal car on the road passed me. To keep up woth traffic, I needed to be doing 85 to 90. So, by the time I was done with my 240 miles one way road trip, the car showed 43.4 mpg. Not bad doing mostly 80mph.

On my way back was a different story. I wanted to see how fast, agile and stable it could handle. It did not disappoint. But sadly, my 2008 Maxima that died on me and I bought this Accord to replace, is faster than this Accord. My Maxima could easily get to one-thirty, but the Accord topped out on me at one-fifteen. Quite fast for this hybrid 4 cylinder since it is not the 250hp V6 that I had in my Maxima.

I bought this car because I wanted something that is very good on gas and hope it lasts me atleast 10 years of ownership. So, this is the car for it and I am happy to know that if I need a little performance from it, it will give me.

This is to hoping I keep this car for 10 years plus. My 2008 Maxima, I bought brand new and I kept it for 12 years 3 months and put over 268,500 miles on it. My plan and hope is to keep this car too for that long or longer, except I get itchy and get a newer Accord Hybrid someday or say the Hybrid powerteain disappoints me with a major car repair bill.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I ordered some leds from China for my high beams. It shipped on the 15th. I got it today the 19th. Quite fast with DHL.

9005 led high beams, 120w 12,000 lumens. Talk about bright! They are very bright, but my suv has ridiculously bright leds, so I just look at these as bright but since I am used to ridiculously bright leds from my suv, these are just ok but truly brighter than the stock halogens.

I decided to go outside tonight and install them in the driveway. I was very pleased with the leds. Truly an improvement in vision over the stock halogens. Well, I have some leds leftover. I will probably have to sell those now on Craigslist.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I wanted a full size spare, so I went to discount tire and bought a brand new 225/50/17. I went home and installed it. It fits very well, but it is too high for the floor mat to cover it flush.

I really thought I could make it work, but no way to get it flush and no better place to keep that spare in the trunk. So, I returned it.

I ordered a donut spare off ebay for $170 shipped. It should be delivered this week. When I get it, I will make sure the tire pressure is right before I install it in my trunk.

Can't afford to drive this car without a spare tire.

I got my spare tire delivered today by FedEx.

The spare tire I bought is 145/80D R17. The normal spare tire in the Accord is 135/80D R17

Looking at the thread, I don't know for sure if this tire has been mounted on a car and driven on, but I will clean it up on my day off with all the jack and accessories before putting in my trunk and I hope it fits perfectly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Cleaned up my spare tire today and installed in my trunk. It does not fit perfectly flush, but fits flush enough.

The foam the guy sent was not the right foam. Good thing the dealership had given me a free foam for the spare tire as a gift after I asked them after giving them 100% review online. The foam came in handy for my spare tire. I didn't have to buy one for $50.

I am glad now that I have a spare tire. I can't afford to drive a car with no spare tire. You will know it is not a good idea only after when you have a flat where you actually need a tire and you are far away from any tire shop. Not a fun experience if you do not have a spare then.

I ordered these from China. It said it was going to take about 45 days to get to me, but glad it took only 15 days. Its just a decorative piece, but a very comfortable pillow for sure.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts