Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Turbo lag
1,235 Posts
One advice here. Take the pre applied adhesive from your spoiler off and replace them with this stuff:

Those "3M" adhesive that comes with the spoiler tends to be sketchy at best and will eventually cost you the spoiler at highway speed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
One advice here. Take the pre applied adhesive from your spoiler off and replace them with this stuff:

Those "3M" adhesive that comes with the spoiler tends to be sketchy at best and will eventually cost you the spoiler at highway speed.
Thanks a lot for this suggestion. Too bad for me that it came when I had already installed the spoiler.

I actually have 2 of these gorilla double sided tape at home. This exact clear one and a gray one. Had I known, I would have used it for this installation.

I guess now I have to wait and see if this flies off on a road trip someday. But I hope that never happens. I wash my car pretty often, so I hope I can get a warning if this becomes lose, so I can take it off instead of having it fly off on the freeway someday.

·
Turbo lag
1,235 Posts
If it does come loose without falling off, mark the current position of the spoiler with tape so you can reinstall it easier with the new adhesive.

Reactions: PetitFrereAccord

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
I bought a Garmin Drivesmart 55 GPS on ebay for my Accord. It got delivered today.

Last week, I went to Ace hardware and bought pvc pipes and painted black. To place my GPS on it behind my oem radio so it is high enough for me to see and easily reach it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats on your Honda Accord Hybrid. Over the next ten years and c. 200k miles you should save a lot of money on gas compared to your Maxima. According to the EPA your savings will probably be about $1400 a year on gas alone. How does the acceleration between the two compare?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Congrats on your Honda Accord Hybrid. Over the next ten years and c. 200k miles you should save a lot of money on gas compared to your Maxima. According to the EPA your savings will probably be about $1400 a year on gas alone. How does the acceleration between the two compare?
Thanks. I really like this Hybrid and having fun learning how to maximize how many miles I get from a tank of gas.

I agree with you that I will definitely save a lot on gas with this Hybrid. And I like that I can have a little fun with it on the freeway, when I want some spirited driving.

Comparing the acceleration of my 2008 Maxima to my 2020 Hybrid. Surprisingly, they are about the same, though I feel my 2008 Maxima has an edge and is more stable. From 0 to 60, they seem to be about the same. Well, from 60 to 130 (115 for Accord Hybrid), the Maxima will leave it behind.

I did a recent road trip from San Antonio to Houston where the WHOLE trip was spirited. My Hybrid was pretty impressive, but tops out at 115 when I needed her to go more. There are many curves and straight roads on that trip that I have done over 50 times with my Maxima that I know the maximum speed I can push my Maxima going into the curve and know just the right time to step on the gas to top that speed as I am getting out of the curve to a straight stretch. I have it mastered with my Maxima so much so that it feels like a rally course to me. Yeah, my Accord could not do it. But I did not expect it to do it. So, I am very ok with how it is for it shines in gas savings where my Maxima cannot match it. I now know the limits of my Accord. I miss my Maxima though. But I will enjoy this Hybrid for who she is: a great gas saving and fun ride. Also, I plan to keep her for a long time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
I got an early Christmas gift. I asked for a front facing camera for my Accord. And I got the Garmin BC 40 wireless backup camera, which works with the Garmin Drivesmart 55.
This is a backup camera, but can be used as a front facing camera.

The main disadvantage with this is that anybody can steal this front facing camera. Literally, you just walk infront of my car and pop it out and be on your merry way. And there goes $140! Just that simple.

So, I just do not plan to be taking it off everyday to prevent theft, but I sure will be taking it off some times. So, I accept that someday, I will return to my car and ever find this front facing camera because someone stole it. Oh well, I pray it never happens, but there is a high chance it could happen.

I did the Honda hack and could drive on the freeway with both my front facing camera and backup camera on at the same time.

Honda Hack for the Honda Accord LX:
(1) Get in your car, close the door. Step on the brake and start your car. Keep foot on the brake.
(2) Press Volume + 1 + 6. All 3 buttons at the same time for 3 to 5 seconds. Let go.
(3) Press 4
(4) Press 3
(5) Now enjoy backup camera on as you backup or drive forward. It resets when you turn off the car or press Volume ON/OFF button. Enjoy!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
2nd test tank of gas with my Accord. I ended up with 619.4 miles and 53.9 mpg.

I used a/c for less than 100 miles for the whole tank of gas. Driving this time was about 60% highway and 40% local streets.

When my FUEL low light came on this time, I drove for about 45 miles until it turned to ZERO. Then I drove for 6 more miles before pulling up at the gas station. I pushed it this time.

I ended up filling my tank with 11.864 gallons. I think I was on fumes this time.

Well, that concludes my test for hyper hybriding for now. I will be back to driving now normally and not very conservatively like I have been doing for about 1,300 miles now.

My next test is when next I have a road trip. I want to see how many miles I get driving speeds of 70 to 80. I will make sure not to go above 80.

I want to see the most miles I can get on a tank of gas from a road trip driving at those speeds. I hope a road trip comes by soon. I will report on my thread when that happens.

What a nice and relaxing Sunday. I decided to install my front facing camera and go for a drive.

Offroading my Honda Accord Hybrid sounds like a good idea today. So, I installed my cb radio antenna that I use on my QX80 when I go offroading to communicate with other offroaders and listen to truckers on the highway on my road trips.

What is a offroading trip without my drone for some some videos and pictures of my Honda Accord in the wild? So, I packed up my Mavic 2 Pro also. Jumped in the car for a 50 minutes drive to a wildlife reserve to enjoy nature and for some peace and tranquility. Also, to put this Hybrid on its first offroading challenge in mud, gravel and rocks. Possible tire puncture? No worries. We have a spare.

·
Turbo lag
1,235 Posts
I got an early Christmas gift. I asked for a front facing camera for my Accord. And I got the Garmin BC 40 wireless backup camera, which works with the Garmin Drivesmart 55.
This is a backup camera, but can be used as a front facing camera.

The main disadvantage with this is that anybody can steal this front facing camera. Literally, you just walk infront of my car and pop it out and be on your merry way. And there goes $140! Just that simple.

So, I just do not plan to be taking it off everyday to prevent theft, but I sure will be taking it off some times. So, I accept that someday, I will return to my car and ever find this front facing camera because someone stole it. Oh well, I pray it never happens, but there is a high chance it could happen.

I did the Honda hack and could drive on the freeway with both my front facing camera and backup camera on at the same time.

Honda Hack for the Honda Accord LX:
(1) Get in your car, close the door. Step on the brake and start your car. Keep foot on the brake.
(2) Press Volume + 1 + 6. All 3 buttons at the same time for 3 to 5 seconds. Let go.
(3) Press 4
(4) Press 3
(5) Now enjoy backup camera on as you backup or drive forward. It resets when you turn off the car or press Volume ON/OFF button. Enjoy!

If you ever get bored, you can ditch that mount and custom mount it somewhere in the grill where it's less obvious. Might save you $140 in the future.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
If you ever get bored, you can ditch that mount and custom mount it somewhere in the grill where it's less obvious. Might save you $140 in the future.
If I lose that $140, it will hurt, I will not lie. So, I will take your advice and look for a custom mount. But I looked it over before installing it today, I just cannot figure out a solution yet.

Well, I will take a picture of the front grill of the car and be looking at it any time I am bored to figure out a custom solution. Because, this camera is so easy to take off. Just pop it off and be on your way. It is that simple and then it is gone! Yeah, my $140 is on line with this front facing camera.

The only protection I have now for it is goodluck. Plus, the few times I plan to take it off myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I checked out the first and last page of your Maxima thread at the other forum. It's impressive that your Maxima lasted 268,000 miles on the original engine and transmission, esp. since you sometimes drive at high speed! I was amazed that a Nissan CVT would last that long. My guess is that your Accord will probably last about as long, but time will tell. Congrats again on your purchase. I'm enjoying your posts and pix.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Finally putting the Accord on a road trip sooner than I expected. I will be doing a 800 miles round trip south of the border into Mexico.

So, the Accord is leaving the country for its first time this weekend.

I will drive 6 hours down to Mexico this Saturday. Then head back home for another 6 hours on Sunday.

Good time for me to test how many miles I can get doing highway speeds of 70 to 80, on a full tank of gas on my HAH. Stay tuned for pictures and updates.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Took my road trip today from Houston to Mexico.

Leaving the country with my Accord and going into Nuevo Progresso, Mexico. Mind you, my insurance company would not cover my car if I have a wreck here or my car is stolen. But I am in Mexico. So, find out before you take your car into Mexico.

Driving here is very aggressive and at every time, you feel someone will hit your car.
I found a spot and parked my car and we left to walk around, shop and eat. I was afraid my front facing camera would be stolen, but it was not stolen. This is about the more than 10th time of me driving one of my cars into Mexico. I have done this same thing too many times when I still had my Maxima. Many times also when I still had my Armada and tons of times with my current QX80. And this is the first time my Accord has left the country into Mexico. And it will not be the last time it goes into Mexico. This Accord has plans too to drive to Canada. God willing in the year 2021. I will see if my job will give me time off in July for that trip. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hope they approve my time off for a road trip in July. Texas to Portland, Maine. Then to Quebec, Toronto and back to Texas. It will be a miracle if that comes true in 2021. God willing.

Time to go eat, walk around and eat some real street tacos, and go shopping.

Went shopping at this huge store in Mexico and saw these that I admired a lot. I thought of buying one of these pieces for my home. But could not decide on which one. I really like the way they look. Worth sharing the pictures.

When we were done, it was time to head back into the US. Pic at the border about to cross back into the US. Traffic was very light as compared to normal times.

Back in the US. Taking a rest for the night and back on the road tomorrow for the 6 hours drive back home.
Last shopping this Sunday morning in Mexico before leaving for my 6 hours drive back home. If you ever go down to Nuevo Progresso, Mexico, these are the 2 best supermarkets to shop at.
El Disco Super Center

La Galerias Shopping Center

Then it was time to get back into the US, make a quick stop at Delia Tamales for the best Tamales from The Valley. Then head straight home.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
A little report on gas consumption on this trip.

I drove for 6 hours with an average speed of 75 to 80. Ended up being almost the slowest on the road. So, I occasionally went up to 85 and 90 to keep up with traffic. I drove a total of 350 miles and got 37.5mpg.

My gas tank ran dry at 450 miles to the tank with ending mpg showing 38.4.

What I have learn about this Hybrid for very long road trips is that to get above 40mpg, it seems one has to drive 70 to 75.

Driving 70-75mph you get 40-45mpg.

Driving 75-80mph, you get 35-40mpg.

Driving >80mph, you get <30mpg. And it drops down faster, the faster you go.

So, sweet spot for long road trips to get greater than 40mpg is to drive at speeds of 70 to 75. I just took note of that. Noted for future trips where I want to maximize fuel!

My 6 hours drive back was very spirited. Horrible gas mileage. I did not pay attention to it, since I was enjoying the Hybrid's performance.

Got home and put a full tank of gas. I really enjoy hyper hybriding, so I am back to hyper hybriding while in town. No road trips for a while. So now is time for hyper hybriding with this tank of gas again.

I ordered this from China a month ago for my trunk area. It took a full month to get here and I finally received it on the same day I was leaving for Mexico.

I got back today and decided to install it. It is supposed to fully protect the whole trunk area. I do like it, though the part behind the seats do not fit well, but I can do without installing that part.

Well, not fully satisfied with the product, I have contacted the seller, who had assured me it will all fit. So, let me see if I get some partial refund or what we work out. Though I still like it as is. It gives my trunk area a different touch and good protection too.

It comes with more velcro that you put to secure it more snug and firm in place. I have not secured it yet.

But I will secure it when next I have a day off from work and this is how my trunk area will look like. It really protects the whole trunk area very well.

Here are some pictures to share.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Fun read - congrats on the car...

Couple of things... 72MPH, I've read on another site is a cutover...

The trunk mat - any reduction in cabin noise?

BTW - try not to run it down to the fumes - not sure about the 10G hybrid, but my old 2nd Gen TSX, the fuel pump is in the tank, and cooled by the fuel...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

BTW - try not to run it down to the fumes - not sure about the 10G hybrid, but my old 2nd Gen TSX, the fuel pump is in the tank, and cooled by the fuel...
Thanks a lot for stopping by and reading the thread.

Nice to know about that 72mph cutover. I guess that goes further to help confirm that 70-75mph is the best for a road trip to get 40-45mph, which is the best one can get on long road trips driving speeds above 70mph.

As for the trunk mat, no reduction at all in cabin noise. It is purely for looks and it offers the best protection for my trunk area. Plus, the trunk really looks good any time I open it to do anything inside. I have not made the trunk mat very secure in place yet with the velcros the seller provided. But the mat is pretty well set the way it is and looks. And I really like it.

About the mat in my trunk, I have an interesting story to share. Here are some pictures to help with that.

I contacted seller on alibaba. We agreed on a price. I told him I am torn between Black/Beige and Black/Red. You see the different colors in the pictures below. So, I told seller that my final choice is Black/Beige. I sent payment. 7 days later, they told me my package has been shipped and they gave me my tracking number. It took 30 days (not 30 working days) and I got it at my address. I opened the box: Black/Red. Not Black/Beige that I ordered. Immediate sad face.

I contacted seller and showed him our screen shots where I had told him I was having a hard time trying to choose between Black/Beige or Black/Red. Then I told him to look at my invoice that I had him made and specify my choosen color as Black/Beige.

Well, I told him I am not satisfied and want what I paid for: Black/Beige.

He said; "My bad. I will make it right for you." He then said he will ask the shop to make me a new one and ship. Black/Beige this time. He told me I do not have to return this. It is mine to keep. Well, he has not shipped my replacement yet. Which when he ships, it will take a whole month to get to me.

Plus, the piece meant to be behind the rear passenger seat is different in the Honda Accord in China from the one in the Accord in the US. So, I sent him a video and some measurements of some adjustments he has to make for my new order.

I am still waiting for him to contact me with tracking number for my new trunk mats. Till then, the Black/Red one is in my trunk and I am kind of liking it more. The trunk really looks nice when I open it. And the protection is top notch.

Well, when I get the second set, if someone wants one of these, they can contact me. I definitely do not have any use for 2 full sets of trunk mats. Whenever I get it, I will post pictures of it installed for sure.

·
Registered
2018 1.5T Accord Touring
28 Posts
I like the trunk mat. I'd be interested in getting one but it sounds like a bit of a hassle.

Thanks for the thread, enjoying it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I like the trunk mat. I'd be interested in getting one but it sounds like a bit of a hassle.

Thanks for the thread, enjoying it.
Thanks for stopping by and reading the thread. That encourages me to take pictures and share when I know it is helping some people or some are enjoying passing their free time reading my thread.

I really like keeping details of maintenance on my cars, same as I do for all my important documents in life. I hope everybody has a very good filing system at home for all their important documents; birth certificate, marriage license, kids birth certificates, passports, BSc/Masters degrees, certifications, transcripts, other important legal papers and even cash at home. All these are very important to me and I have them very well filed and arranged like an office in a file cabinet. Anybody should try and have all their important papers very well arranged and filed at home. You can even keep this is a waterproof and or fire proof safe. It comes in very handy. You know where to easily find anything that is important to you in life. Trust me, it works. If someone feels they cannot find some important paperwork some times, try having a dedicated file or suitcase or safe for all of these. You will be amazed at how it helps makes things easier for you.

Well, about the mat. Hey, are you in Texas? I ask because whenever I get my new mats, which will be some time next year, I am leaning towards giving away the one I currently have for FREE. Or maybe give it away for a full tank of gas on my Hybrid. There is no way I can own 2 mats for my trunk. So, I will be giving away one for FREE or for a tank of gas. The person just has to be close to me in Houston.

Well, whenever you want to buy from China, make sure to communicate well with these people or communication problem might make the order be messed up. Also, always find out about how they ship. Most of my things I buy are usually 3 to 7 business days for me to get it. Most of my things usually come by FedEx, DHL or UPS.

Well, believe it or not but this coming Monday, I am paying for another thing I want for my Honda Accord. It is a unique mod that I like that I can install and take it off any time. Plus, it is something I need for very occasional use on the Accord rather than a mod to have on the car all the time. Plus, it is something I can use on the Accord and use on my QX80. I will share pictures for sure if I do pay for it and when I get and install it. So, it will be a while from today. I plan to pay on Monday and seller says he will ship by UPS and I should get it 3 to 7 business days after he ships.

So, stay tuned.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Another tank of gas where I wanted to see the most I could get out of a tank of gas. Ended with the following data.
54.8mpg and getting a total of 637.8 miles out of the tank of gas.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts