Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
161 - 180 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
When you go through Albuquerque, let me know if you'd like to get together for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, depending on your timing.

Sam's is right on I-40 in Amarillo, and Sams and Costco are easy to get to in Albuquerque.

Sam
I will be getting to Albuquerque on Tuesday at about 2pm. Yes, we sure can meet for dinner. Would be nice to meet another forum member on this trip and take pictures of my Accord next to yours. I know I may want to go for a night cruise at one of those hills that overlook the city at sunset to maybe take some cool pics of the city.

I will PM you my number now so we can keep in touch.

·
Registered
411 Posts
OK, since you asked, here are a few photos from my road-trip.

In order, they are:
  • Buffalo Bill's bedroom, in his ranch (North Platte, NE)
  • "Independence Rock", at the Colorado National Monument, near Grand Junction.
  • The "Double Arch" in Arches NP, near Moab, UT (note the scale of the people...)
  • "Landscape Arch", Arches NP ( a mile or so from a trailhead) - length of the arch is about 300 feet, and the narrowest part is about a 6' x 11' cross-section. They no longer let you hike underneath, as a large chunk of rock fell off a few years ago. At some point it will collapse.
  • Lake Tahoe, taken from the NE side (a bit south of Incline Village, NV)

Petit Frere - you mentioned maybe stopping at the Donner Memorial park, which is just off of I-80, a bit NW of Lake Tahoe (near Donner Lake). It is worth a stop, just to contemplate how horrible their situation was, while at the same time, how they were "only" 30 or so miles from getting out of the snow... If you are doing that, you are maybe going all the way around the lake - definitely check out Emerald Bay, on the SW corner. In addition to the great views, the Emerald Bay parking lot is also the trail head to some nice hiking trails that climb up into what is known as the Desolation Wilderness - the trail leads to a series of small alpine lakes, called Lower, Middle, and Upper Velma Lakes. Google Velma Lakes, Lake Tahoe hiking....

If you like history, and are passing through Carson City, NV anyway, it is worth a stop in nearby Virginia City, where the Comstock Lode mines were located. It still looks a lot like it did, with wooden sidewalks, old-time saloons, etc.

Lots of events happen in the Reno/Tahoe area during August, including the Reno Air Races, Reno Hot August Nights, as well as the Lake Tahoe Classic (wooden) Boat show, held on the northwest side of the lake. Depending on your timing, one or more of these might be going on.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Another 800 miles to the tank. I did a lot of hypermiling. A/C was used only for about 100 miles out of all 800 miles. I did 60% city driving and 40% highway. Highest speed limit in city driving was 50mph. But I often was doing 45mph. My highway average was 60mph.
This first picture is when my DTE turned to 0. You can see my odometer showing 64.4mpg and 730 miles so far on this tank of gas at that exact point.

I went into some serious hypermiling mode and did only city driving with my top speed being 40mph. Look at my final numbers as of tonight when I got home. 65.4mpg and 800 miles to this tank. So, I got 70 miles past DTE of 0. Just know I did a lot of hypermiling after 0 and I can guarantee about 30 of those miles were in EV mode. Good details for me to remember.
Final number: 65.4mpg and 800 miles to the tank.

Tomorrow when I fill up my gas tank, I will see if I was out of gas complete or not. I will post pic of how many gallons it takes to fill up my tank to click. I do not overfill.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 · (Edited)
I went and filled up this morning. What a scare. I filled up with 12.751 gallons. Our gas tank is 12.8 gallons. Well, it is safe to say our gas tank is truly 12.8 gallons.

My car shows 65.3mpg for 800.6 miles.
My calculations says I did 62.8mpg on this tank of gas that gave me 800.6 miles.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
You make me want to go out and buy a drone! :)
Please, go get one. With a drone, you take pictures from a different angle and you really enjoy looking at your pictures.

I like to take pictures a lot and I particularly enjoy looking at my drone pictures when I am back home relaxing.

My drone is a DJI Mavic 2 Pro. I bought it when it just came out. Then I bought a case, ND filters, extra propellers, batteries and then I bought the smart DJI controller. So, the case I carry my drone in has in it things worth a grand total of about $2,500. Yes, I am not even kidding. My drone when it just came out was $1,500 plus tax. Then I bought 2 extra batteries at more than $100 each. Then I recently bought the smart controller which was about $700. Then my ND filters with other accessories.

But guess what? DJI has many other amazing drones that are $500 or less. In fact, they just released a new drone that is $300! Yes, I just saw that today. It seems the drone was released today. So, your drone does not have to break the bank.

Get you a drone and enjoy it. The only time I will tell someone to not buy something is if they are going to take a loan for it. So, you decide if it will be worth it for you to buy it or not. I really like my drone, though to be honest I do not use it often. So, for most of the year, it is just sitting. I probably fly it a total of less than 3 months in a year.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 · (Edited)
My August 2021 Roadtrip...

I am finally done with my 20 days roadtrip as I made it home today at 3pm. What a long drive. This is my odometer when I filled my tank up and parked at home.

My trip in numbers;

Days on trip: 20 days
Total mileage driven: 8,681 miles
MPG: 38mpg
Total cost of gas for this trip: $749.55
Average daily miles driven: 433 miles driven every single day for 20 days! Talk about some serious driving during this trip.
Car trouble: None. No flat tire even though I did sometimes scary offroading in Death Valley National Park.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 · (Edited)
After watching a few videos I decided to do my own oil change today instead of taking it to the dealership.

Our car asks for 0W20, but I did a mixture to use today for my oil change. I mixed a concoction of all my leftover oils I had at home since I did not want to take them and dump them at Autozone.

These are the oils I mixed together to use for this oil change;
  • 1/2 quart M1 0W20 EP High Mileage
  • 1/2 M1 0W20 EP
  • 1 quart M1 5W20 Annual Performance
  • 3 quarts of 5W30 Shell Rotella Gas Truck.

I got my car on my ramps. I bought a larger filter as I wanted to try a larger filter. Too bad I saw the area for the filter may not fit the larger filter, so I went and returned it and took the correct oem size. But next time I will try to fit the larger filter to see if it will fit. Here are the choices of filters that will fit on our car, if we had the room to accommodate it. I think someone with a Honda Pilot may have the room to accommodate any of these 2 larger filters other than oem. Here are the 3 different filters that should fit our car, but our Accords do not have the room.

OEM is 57356. Larger is 51334. Largest is 51344. My next oil change, I will waste $10 to buy the larger filter and try to see if it will fit. If it fits, great! If it does not fit, I take it off and throw it away.

I put my car on my ramps and to my surprise, I could change my oil and filter without removing any of the skid plates. That was really nice to know I could do that.

I let the car drain for like 30 minutes and I got 4 quarts out of the car.

I cleaned up the under of my car with the brake cleaner I bought. Then filled up my car with 4 quarts of the mixture of oils (0W20, 5W20, 5W30). I reset my odometer at 34,238 miles showing on odometer. I plan to change this oil at 40,000 miles.. So, that is 6,000 miles from now. Then I may be doing 10,000 miles oil changes so as to have a rhythm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would stick with recommended oil weights. Probably know harm short term, but I would think the viscosity would make the engine work harder.

Also, there are almost never slid plates on family sedans. Honda has a simple oil change though I wish filter was on top. If you are going to continue doing your own oil changes, I would recommend a fumoto valve.

I have had those on all my cars since 2011. Made my Subaru about a 5 minute oil change. The 13 accord was quick as well and very clean given you can drain oil into a 5qt jug directly or use a hose.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
I would stick with recommended oil weights. Probably know harm short term, but I would think the viscosity would make the engine work harder.

Also, there are almost never slid plates on family sedans. Honda has a simple oil change though I wish filter was on top. If you are going to continue doing your own oil changes, I would recommend a fumoto valve.

I have had those on all my cars since 2011. Made my Subaru about a 5 minute oil change. The 13 accord was quick as well and very clean given you can drain oil into a 5qt jug directly or use a hose.
I had these sitting at home and almost threw them away but changed my mind. I think this mixture will be ok since it is one time thing.

My next oil change will be with Castrol 0W20 High Mileage. I have already bought the oil since Castrol has a $10 rebate going on now for a 5 gallon jug. I used this mixture mainly because I did not want to throw away brand new leftover oil I had. So, I am using it as a cleaning oil for a short oil change since I will change it at 6,000 miles, which at that time my Hybrid is usually showing I still have 50% of oil life left.

I will look into the fumoto valve you suggested. I just looked it up and it seems it makes draining oil super easy. Thanks a lot for that suggestion. I appreciate that.

Nice to know the fumoto valve is something you always use and it makes changing oil super fast.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 · (Edited)
So, I recently did my oil change with this combo to basically "rinse" my engine and dump since I did not want to throw away leftover brand new fluid;
  • 1/2 quart M1 0W20 EP High Mileage
  • 1/2 M1 0W20 EP
  • 1 quart M1 5W20 Annual Performance
  • 3 quarts of 5W30 Shell Rotella Gas Truck.

My hope was to drive it for 6,000 miles and dump it. But, I just realized this combo has dropped my MPG. I like to hypermile and now I can barely get my car to get 60mpg and above.

Here is my data since my oil change. You see I am only in the low 50s. But when I normally hypermile, I often get upper 50s or low 60s. Picture of my recent mpg numbers after each fill up since my oil change.

So, I have concluded that the current mixture in my car may be too thick and has caused my mpg to drop. Hence, I may dump this oil at around 2,000 or 3,000 miles of use after it has circulated well enough to "rinse" the engine.

After playing in my mind with the thought of mixing oils, I decided I wanted to try the 0W16, which is NOT specified for the 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid.

After a small research, I found out the Toyota 0W16 is made by Mobil 1 and has a good additive package. I went and bought 2 quarts from the dealership today.

I plan to do an oil change with;
  • 2 quarts of Toyota 0W16
  • 2 quarts of Castrol Edge HM 0W20

So, a funny thought crossed my mind that maybe 0W16+0W20=0W18?

I really plan to do this to see what will happen. I doubt it will do any harm to my car for one oil change of maybe about 7,000 miles to maybe 10,000 miles. I want to see if this will make any noticeable difference like improve gas mileage or car idles smoother or smoother acceleration. Let me just say any slight thing that my mind tricks me into thinking it is a noticeable improvement that was not there before. But I hope it still protects my car.

If the combo bothers me, I will drain and put only my required 0W20.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hope you are posting this in jest. I doubt that it will it will cause major engine damage………..right away. But it will cause engine damage down the road. Who knows, maybe 20k, maybe 40k…………. But it will. Engines, especially modern engines are designed and set up for specific types or weights of oil. It is not just the inside of the engine block but many other variable parts rely on it. For fun I asked several of my mechanic friends, both on line and in person and everyone was amazed. Not in a good way. Everyone laughed their a$# off over it. Not in a good way. Honestly, and I do not mean any offense, I just want to make my point, only a completely ignorant person would do what you have said you did.

161 - 180 of 214 Posts