Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Piano black door pillar

5K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  on2 
#1 ·
#4 ·
The best solution is....

Having your matte factory pieces painted then wet sanded to a piano black finish.

Why?

The polycarbonate pieces like above are reported to increase wind noise. Makes sense since it makes the pillars thicker, more air is trapped or flowing through that area.

Vinyl wrap looks better than the matte black factory pieces, but it will never be as deep/shiny of a black as paint.

The OEM glossy black pieces on the V6 trim levels are nice; this is what I have, but it is painted and not wet sanded. So it has an orange peelish finish.

So like I said, the best solution is getting your factory pieces painted and wet sanded to a smooth finish.

#5 ·
is this a sedan thing? my coupe has piano black pillars.

#6 ·
I have not looked at the coupe, but all of the sedans I looked at had the matte finish.

#8 ·
I think it's an EX thing. They come with glossy pillars, while lower trims get the flat finish.
V6 models get the glossy pillars whereas the I4 gets the matte black pillars.

#9 ·
That brings up my next question. Do those of you with the V-6 hear much wind noise with the glossy black B pillar trim pieces? Has anyone tried adding the glossy trim to the 4 cylinder models? I suppose they are just a double sided tape installation. I am definitely interested in doing this, although Honda is very fond of them.

#10 ·
I have not noticed any objectionable wind noise. When I leave work I will take a closer look to see how it is attached.

#11 ·
Ok, I just checked. It seems like it would be a stick on type of part. I would look into it with college hills. If honda uses it, it must be available somewhere.

#15 ·
Bernardi has the best prices out there. Got my splash guards for $59. I did order the hood deflector from college hills and sill plates while I was at it. ONLY college hills has the OEM hood deflector...that's another item apparently only for our Canadian friends.

As for the piano black door pillars, I have a feeling it's the same part as any other accord, just painted. I just checked mine out and they certainly don't seem to be stuck on with 3M tape....

#14 ·
I talked with my local dealer and the parts guy said he thought there was a bolt plus adhesive. If it is just adhesive I should be able to do this without too much trouble.

Thanks for the help.

#16 ·
I just got an email back from college Hills and they said the B pillar trim is held in place by adhesive tape. They have a price of $122.70 which is considerably cheaper than my local dealer quoted me.

As soon as I recover from the tag, tax and all of the other accessories I have already ordered I think I'll order a set. I just hate that I can't keep the matte black finish looking good, but that is probably because I hate the look of it to begin with.

Thanks for all of the help.

#17 ·
Is it an overlay of your existing B pillar or a remove/replace application?

#20 ·
College Hills Honda said it was just a double sided tape installation whereas my local dealer said it was a bolt and double sided tape. I guess I'll know when I get the kit which will be a little while since I have to digest all of the extras I have already ordered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.