Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
2019 Accord Sport 1.5T
27 Posts
That is impressive. The next time someone tells me they intend to drive a car until the wheels fall off, I'm using your example as the standard.

The leap forward in tech must've really been something when driving those cars back to back.
Well.………..not exactly from one to the other directly.

The 82 Accord was my wife's, though I drove it from Miami (her home) to San Diego (my Navy duty station at the time) a few weeks after our wedding. About a year later, after many problems with it, I sold it and bought her a '90 VW Golf GL that lasted till 2007.

Personally my car history is '86 944 > '89 Golf GTI > '01 Dodge Dakota > '10 Fit > '19 Accord. I still have the Fit (with 235,000 miles) and my daughter drives it till she goes to college in a year.

But yeah, going from a 10 year old Fit to the new Accord was an eye opener for sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a 7th-gen coupe (2005) that I bailed out of during the last recession...
Then an 8th gen sedan once my finances recovered, and currently another 7th gen sedan.

My favorite "modern" Accord is the ninth... '14-17? The 8th was kinda stodgy and
felt way bigger than the 7th. The 10's has a... 1940's streamlined look to it... with
a big blunt rounded nose that just doesn't do it for me.

Blame pedestrian-sagety standards for that. My 7th-gen'll just cut 'im off at the knees...

Mind you, I haven't DRIVEN any newer ones... because "when I drive an Accord, I buy it"...
and I'm quite happy with my 2006, just turning 150k, and paid off!

But back to the original post: The only way this makes any sense to me, is if you're
using the "no down payment" to get a pile of cash out of the TL to pay off some other
debt that wasn't mentioned. Otherwise, your payment is just going up $360/mo...

Den

In my time on this forum, I've identified two types of people:

1. Those that never bought a Honda before the 10th gen; and
2. Those that think Hondas are beautiful except the 10th gen.

Hondas were invisible appliances before the 10th gen, to me. But there's no accounting for taste.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Back to the original topic, matters of pricing aren't well debated on forum as so many variables come into play (double those if you are financing, double again if leasing).

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is impressive. The next time someone tells me they intend to drive a car until the wheels fall off, I'm using your example as the standard.

The leap forward in tech must've really been something when driving those cars back to back.
Funny. I drove my 5th gen accord until a wheel literally fell off while driving (an aftermarket ball joint failed when the tiny lock wire that held the nut in place ended up not being enough to hold the nut on...). That happened at about 300,000 miles. It cost me about $150 to fix (2 years ago), and I’ve been driving it ever since as my daily commuter with no problems. So yeah, I’m having a real hard time with the OPs suggestion that leasing a 2020 accord is going to save money somehow during this time over having a paid off car.

·
Registered
310 Posts
My two Hondas have been a 1986 (LXi, top trim level at that time), and our current 2018 Hybrid Touring (my wife's DD, but I drive it a fair amount, also.

What gen is the '86, BTW? Back then, no one talked in terms of "generation", to reflex major technical or styling changes....

Actually, I thought that the '86 had pretty distinctive (and attractive) styling for that period, and that the 10th Gen cars also have distinctive (and attractive) styling. I would also agree that SOME of the intervening generations were more generic/bland.

That '86 served me well for 10 years. I think the only thing I had to do to it, other than routing maintenance was a new muffler (Chicago winters and road salt), and the fact that the wires to the pop-up headlights would break every few years, from the flexing. (Easily re-spliced.)

I move to CA in 1996, and the '86 Accord was starting to show a hint if rust, which I thought would make it unsellable in CA. So I sold it prior to the move.

I guess that makes it a 22 year gap "between Hondas".... :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’m looking to downsize my expenses during this time so I’ll be trading in my paid off car and picking up a lease on this car. Nothing due at signing and $359/month for 15k miles including tax. Does that deal look good?

also how are these cars? I haven’t had a Honda in years so there will be a small adaptation period. Anything to be careful with? Thanks
Wait...downsize expenses by trading in a car with $0.00 payment a month for a $359 payment a month? I'm sorry, I must be reading this wrong...

·
Registered
2017 Honda Accord, Coupe, Touring (V6, 6AT), 2017 Honda Accord Sedan, EXL V6 w/ Navi, Sensing
95 Posts
Well rather than take a whack at the OP for creative financing, I’ll weigh in here with some love for the 8th gen’s appearance. I really like it. An oak tree killed ours sadly (fell on it). But I do like the 9.5 gen appearance pretty well to (since I have a stable full of them). An 8th gen with the 9th gen running gear and suspension would be my “crossover”. The newer Crosstours had 8th gen styling and 9 gen running gear but didn’t have the 9th gen handling. Too bad, but the Crosstour never was too sexy. Some day the 10th gen might wear on me.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts