Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2013 V6 I was planning on changing the ball joints but ran into that road block.
Any tips on how to loosen that bolt? My impact couldn't even loosen it?!

Thinking about just taking it to the dealer and let them do the job.

Also should the outter tie rod ball joint have any play or should it be stiff?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have used an air cut off tool to cut the nut off flush with the control arm and then driven the bolt out with a drilling hammer and punch. A torch could help break it free.
No, there should not be any play in the outer (or inner) tie rod ends.

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,191 Posts
Breaker bar and a cheater is your only option without the proper air tool. Make sure all wheels are intact, and car is on the ground, remove the center cap, raise the nut secure dimple, chock the wheels, then try to remove the nut while the car is on the ground. Note that removing the ball joint from the knuckle is much harder if you don't have the proper tools.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

That's the pinch bolt I'm talking about. It's connects the knuckle to the strut.

Also when I removed the tie rod from the knuckle it have lots of movement inner & outter, so I take it that means the inner & outter tie rod is bad?

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,191 Posts
My bad, I thought you were talking about the axle bolt. That is odd you are having hard time with that bottom strut flange bolt, Try loosing it on the nut side; if the bolt spins, then have another tool on the bolt end to hold it; add some penitrating oil if you have to.

·
07V6 Chicago
1,021 Posts

That's the pinch bolt I'm talking about. It's connects the knuckle to the strut.

Also when I removed the tie rod from the knuckle it have lots of movement inner & outter, so I take it that means the inner & outter tie rod is bad?
Soak it with penetrating oil
Whack the bolt head with a hammer a few times (to loose up corrosion)
Turn it with a long ratchet/break bar, piece of cake for a 1/2" ratchet/bar that's 17" or longer.

Ideally, there should be decent amount resistance in the ball joints. As the ball wears, the stud can flip around. However, as long as there is no up/down movement in the outer and no in/out movement in the inner, you are still ok.

If the boots and bellows are in perfect condition, tie-rods could last as long as the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts