Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car came with a pin stripe design. What is the best way to remove it without damaging the paint and it not leaving behind any marks

·
7th Gear
4,887 Posts
How old is the car?

I would try peeling off a small section and seeing if it can be cleaned and buffed out. That way you will know if the rest can be done without leaving a mark.

If you have an old car, you will probably have some fading from the sun.

·
i-VTEC, do you?
284 Posts
Yep Dreamacre's right. Just rub your hand over it, If you can actually feel it the chances are its just stuck on there and you can literally peel it off. You will have to re-wax that section of paint though. If its painted on there then you will have to take other measures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a 2010 accord sedan. I've only had it for a week. The pin stripes are taped on not painted. Should I just ask the dealer to take it off or is this something I can do myself? Biggest thing is to make sure the paint is not damaged and that it leaves no marks behind. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
The trick is to removing taped on pinstripes is to use a hair dryer to get the tape hot. Hold the hair dryer about an inch away from the pinstripe and heat it for a few seconds. Once the tape gets hot, it will peel off easily with your finger nail. If it is cold it will come off in little pieces. Slowly work your way down the length of car with the hair dryer, working an inch at a time. Sometimes you'll get lucky and the tape will come off in one long piece. The trick is to go slowly. Let the heat do the work. After removing the pinstripe, use mineral spirits and a soft rag to clean the glue residue off the paint. Don't rub the paint. Let the solvent do that work. Then wax and you're done.

·
.Net developer
156 Posts
ive had mine for about 3 months now and wanted to remove my pin stripes as well. can u pls define mineral spirits? will goo-gone alone do the trick? if i do wax it after i remove it, will it not look funny/obvious that i just wax that pinstripped area and not the whole car? :dunno:

·
Sugar coating for you ..
6,119 Posts
Mineral spirits you can get from paint stores or local hardware stores. It's used as a paint thinner and solvent .. also used as a degreaser.

Just make it a day removing the strip, washing and waxing the whole car .. I'm sure it needs a good wax anyways.

·
Maui Built Surf Team
139 Posts
Dont rub to hard you will get swirl marks! You can buff them out after so don't freak out lol
Also it takes a while so get ready to put sum elbow work into it! Good luck it will look alot better w/ them off!

·
.Net developer
156 Posts
thanks im doing this this weekend, will post pics when i get there... :wave:

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
Funny the other day I had someone say “The only thing your car is missing is pinstripe” I was like, ummmm yea OK man :paranoid:

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
Should've said nah man I'm thinking about racing stripes.
Haha, yea it was my gf’s dad and he’s like 60 (no offense to anyone). He is pretty set in his ways. The guy has been buying Mercury’s since he was a kid, never had anything else. He is simply distraught now that they went out of business lol

Maybe I’ll turn him into a Honda guy :thmsup:

·
mobiless2
2,200 Posts
Park car in direct sun light for 2 hours, and peel off. WD-40 sprayed in a terry cloth towel works great at removing adhesive. Wash car after.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I did not have pin stripes but the dealer's name was put in the back of the car. I just peeled the letter out and then applied Tar N Bug Remover spray on a piece of cloth and they wiped off the glue. The Tar N Bug remover worked like magic and there is no sign of the writing anymore. I did not wax the car yet, but that seems to be a good idea.

·
Maui Built Surf Team
139 Posts
DTX I laughed balls when I read.... "you must construct additional pylons" on you sig haha very original lol

·
Registered
263 Posts
The dealer must have put my pinstipes on with super glue.

I had so much trouble removing them that after spending 2 hours removing them from one quarter panel, I was heading to the dealer to make them do it even though it had been 6 months since I bought the car.

On the way there, I stopped in a local hot rod and custom shop and asked if they would do it.
They said $40 for removing the tape stripes and glue and a hand waxing afterward.
It looked so nice, I gave them $50 instead.

That's the truly easy way - pay somebody else to do it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts