Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Accord Hybrid Touring
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3 on my 2019 Accord Hybrid Touring yesterday. The original OEM tires, the Michelin Energy Saver lasted me 83,000 miles!
So far, I have driven 405 miles on these P7 and wanted to give my early initial thoughts.

Ride: The ride is super comfortable and plush. I definitely hear how much quieter the ride is compared to the MES, but I can't remember how quiet they were when I first got the car. I mainly drive freeway, and when I change lanes and go over the reflectors, it feels super soft and not like I'm going over anything. The steering response is definitely quicker and feels very responsive. The feel on center though feels a little numb and kind of feels like there's a little play, but once you move past the center free play, it is super responsive.

MPG: The one thing I'm not liking is that my mpg seems to have taken a hit. On the MES, I always was averaging 48/49 mpg, even with 83K on them. These I just averaged 45 on my first tank. I read that once they're broken in, mpg should go back up.

Overall, I'm happy with them so far having driven 400 miles on them. I will update this as I put more miles on them.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've now driven over 1,000 miles on these tires and can confirm that my mpg has dropped by 5mpg. Still, these tires do offer a very quiet and comfortable ride and sharp steering. Here's a better picture after washing wheels and tires:

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

I'll give further updates as I put more miles on them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just downsized my 2022 Sport hybrid to continental purecontact LS 225/55-17. I was considering these P7s but the model 3 Tesla boards have a very detailed list of tires and owners reporting their efficiency numbers. The contis seemed to be one of the more efficient touring tires Model 3 owners used.

The Yokohama and perelli ( newest generation) were not as efficient as their previous versions. Long way of saying a 10% drop like your seeing is what some Tesla owners saw from this tire too, but they liked them for all other reasons. They do find the first 500 to 1000 miles are worse then it gets better.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just downsized my 2022 Sport hybrid to continental purecontact LS 225/55-17. I was considering these P7s but the model 3 Tesla boards have a very detailed list of tires and owners reporting their efficiency numbers. The contis seemed to be one of the more efficient touring tires Model 3 owners used.

The Yokohama and perelli ( newest generation) were not as efficient as their previous versions. Long way of saying a 10% drop like your seeing is what some Tesla owners saw from this tire too, but they liked them for all other reasons. They do find the first 500 to 1000 miles are worse then it gets better.
Yeah, I just went to check the weight of the Pirelli and Cont, 1lb difference. I can see how they will get better mpg than the Pirelli. Before owning a hybrid, I really didn't pay mutch attention to mpg, but since getting one, I've somehow changed my habit to try and get better mpg!

I've now put in 2,000+ miles on them, filled up either 4 or 5 times, and for sure the mpg took a hit. I filled up this morning, drove from. Victorville to LA and back, and my average mpg right now is at 47.8... Hoping I am. Starting to get back 1 or 2 miles?

Ride though... Very quiet and comfortable. Does the better cabin quietness, smoother ride and sharper steering overcome the mpg loss??? Depending on the time of day, I probably will say yes. When I'm about to pump gas and hit reset on my trip meter and see my average at 43.4 instead of the 48.8 I was used too... Ugh... But I have to say these are very comfortable tires.

On a side note, the 2022 hybrid now comes in sport with 19's?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes it does. It seems to be the lowest trim level Honda is actually producing for at least the Hybrid. Dealer said profit margins on EX and base is lower so Honda not seeming to be making them in any numbers.

It seems to be an easy way to reduce number of chips needed. No blind spot monitors, no heated seats, no auto dimming mirror. But it does have full power driver seat.

I would have preferred an EX-L but dealer was charging well over MSRP. I found a blue sport at a dealer 3 hours away that sells at sticker and no dealer add ons. I added engine block heater and heated steering wheel. Warming up the engine for an hour before I leave means it shuts off and cycles quicker into EV mode.

I put 2021 CR-V LX 17” wheels on it from eBay, new take offs. They look really good IMHO. Same offset & width as the Accord 17s. And 225/55-17 to match the Sports overall diameter and keep higher gearing of the taller wheel and dealing with Michigan pot holes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's pretty cool. So they're 55 instead of 50? So a bigger sidewall huh? If possible, could you share a pic for us to see?

Did the heated steering wheel need to be installed after purchase or did it come installed?

1 hour warm-up!? Wow, I thought my 5 minute warm up when 33 here in socal was long! Haha

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes I will take some pics. Yes, 225/55 17 seems to fill the wheel well nice like the 19s did and is closer to over all diameter then the stock 17s with 225 50 and increase load rating. Pothole prevention lol.

ha ha the warm up is the engine block heater plugged in. Just to throw some btus into the coolant so engine shuts off pretty quick.

heated steering wheel is a Honda accessory I had the dealer install before I took delivery. Same with the engine block heater. I saw them on the build page for a new one so I figured I would do it.

It is nice and toasty and I can sell the original to an ex or insight owner who wants a leather wrapped one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I will take some pics. Yes, 225/55 17 seems to fill the wheel well nice like the 19s did and is closer to over all diameter then the stock 17s with 225 50 and increase load rating. Pothole prevention lol.

ha ha the warm up is the engine block heater plugged in. Just to throw some btus into the coolant so engine shuts off pretty quick.

heated steering wheel is a Honda accessory I had the dealer install before I took delivery. Same with the engine block heater. I saw them on the build page for a new one so I figured I would do it.

It is nice and toasty and I can sell the original to an ex or insight owner who wants a leather wrapped one.
Ahhh, the engine block heating thing. I got you now. Are you getting the 48mpg with the 55s or close to it? Granted, you're in freeze your butt of climate, so your engine needs to run more often, but definitely better than with the 19s right?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2,846 MILES DRIVEN UPDATE:

Well, as of this writing, I have now driven 2,846 miles since installing the P7 AS +3.

MPG: This has improved now to a out a 2 - 3 mpg lose compared to OEM tires. I'm averaging 45 - 46.8 ish mpg. While I don't like that now I'm not averaging the 48 - 49, I have to say the feel, sound and comfort of these tires are indeed worth those few mpg loses.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RAIN DRIVING UPDATE:

It rained yesterday here in Socal so I got to experience the tires wet handling capability. This is the most extreme difference I saw between the Michelin Energy Saver and the P7 AS Plus 3. The traction in the rain with the P7 was absolutely amazing! It was actual rain, not drizzle or light rain, it was proper rain falling and the handling was excellent. These tires tracked great and I could feel them maintain traction even when I drove over patches of standing water in the freeway. Driving between 50 and 75mph in the freeway, I felt confidence that I didn't have driving the Michelins.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the previous gen P7 Cinturado Plus II which now has 35K on them. Only disappointment is the wear -- now at 4/32 all around. Even so the quietness and comfort are still there. These Pirellis have gone through a winter and many rain storms with no problems. Handling is fine and mileage steady around 46MPG. Yes this was a decrease from the Michelin Energy A/S OEM tires (avg 48+MPG), but I think nothing beats those Michelins for rolling resistance.

Looking forward to trying the P7 AS Plus 3.....Tire Rack has a great review https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=283

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the previous gen P7 Cinturado Plus II which now has 35K on them. Only disappointment is the wear -- now at 4/32 all around. Even so the quietness and comfort are still there. These Pirellis have gone through a winter and many rain storms with no problems. Handling is fine and mileage steady around 46MPG. Yes this was a decrease from the Michelin Energy A/S OEM tires (avg 48+MPG), but I think nothing beats those Michelins for rolling resistance.

Looking forward to trying the P7 AS Plus 3.....Tire Rack has a great review https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=283
I finally have the P7 AS Plus 3 (225/50/17 94V) on my 20 HAH and agree with everything Sammbpbsb has described. Along the way I had the Michelin Defender T&H tires on briefly which were awful compared to the prior P7 Plus II -- bumpy ride, noisy (continual rumble), wandering steering -- overall a much "cheaper" feel.

The Plus 3 does feel more comfortable than the Plus II with a plush, luxurious ride. Supremely quiet. Tracks great. However, these Plus 3s are a bit "mushier" than the Plus II with regards to dry handling. That may be because these are brand new -- definitely geared toward a comfort experience. As noted by Sammbpbsb, wet handling is great.

Even with the minor hit in mileage compared to the OEM Michelin Energy A/S, I think Honda should include the Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3 as the new OEM tire. Transforms the HAH into a luxury ride while still maintaining much of the 10th generation excellent feel and balanced handling.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finally have the P7 AS Plus 3 (225/50/17 94V) on my 20 HAH and agree with everything Sammbpbsb has described. Along the way I had the Michelin Defender T&H tires on briefly which were awful compared to the prior P7 Plus II -- bumpy ride, noisy (continual rumble), wandering steering -- overall a much "cheaper" feel.

The Plus 3 does feel more comfortable than the Plus II with a plush, luxurious ride. Supremely quiet. Tracks great. However, these Plus 3s are a bit "mushier" than the Plus II with regards to dry handling. That may be because these are brand new -- definitely geared toward a comfort experience. As noted by Sammbpbsb, wet handling is great.

Even with the minor hit in mileage compared to the OEM Michelin Energy A/S, I think Honda should include the Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3 as the new OEM tire. Transforms the HAH into a luxury ride while still maintaining much of the 10th generation excellent feel and balanced handling.
Awesome!

I hope these last the stated 75K miles for you. Keep us posted if that mushy feeling goes away.

On my end, my mpg seems to now be constant at 46/47 mpg average per fill up. If I drive conservatively, I can definitely get 48 mpg, but regular, non aggressive driving with these tires is definitely at the 46/47 range, which I am fine with with the feel, comfort and performance of these tires. I will definitely get these again when the next tire change comes around. I hope these last the 75k warranty miles they state... We will see.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Following up -- these Pirellis are very sensitive to tire pressure. I bumped up to 35psi cold and the mushiness is gone. So these AS Plus 3s are softer than the outgoing P7 Plus II (which were perfect at 33psi). Overall a great match for the smooth and quiet HAH....

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I had the Plus II on my '17 Touring w. 19" wheels and they were some my favorite tires ever. I'm actually looking forward to the stock Michelins wearing out so I can slap a set of AS Plus 3's on my '22 HAH with the 17". If my past experience with Michelin is any indication, I expect to begin hating the road noise and hardness of the tires around 30-40k miles. I may even replace them sooner if it weren't for giving up a few MPG.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Following up -- these Pirellis are very sensitive to tire pressure. I bumped up to 35psi cold and the mushiness is gone. So these AS Plus 3s are softer than the outgoing P7 Plus II (which were perfect at 33psi). Overall a great match for the smooth and quiet HAH....
Washed my car today and while I was cleaning my tires I noticed something that was in the back of my head when you described the tires you got... Yours are 94v and mine are are 98V!

That's just speed rating difference I believe, but not sure if that plays into how different the tires feels.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Washed my car today and while I was cleaning my tires I noticed something that was in the back of my head when you described the tires you got... Yours are 94v and mine are are 98V!

That's just speed rating difference I believe, but not sure if that plays into how different the tires feels.
Yeah, the 98V are XL tires with a higher load rating. Here is a good description: Standard Load (SL) vs Extra Load (XL) Tires

My old P7 Plus II were 98V and that may explain why my current 94V P7 AS Plus 3s feel softer/mushier, benefitting from a bump in cold tire pressure. Certainly quiet, comfortable tires with a luxury ride and good handling with a +2 increase in tire pressure.

·
Registered
2022 Accord Hybrid Touring
1 Posts
Has anybody replaced the Goodyear Eagle Tourings that come on the 19" wheels with these P7s? I'm thinking of swapping mine to these in either the OE 235/40 or a 245/40. I'm curious how they compare. I would be OK with a little MPG loss (48.4 on the first and only tank so far, which is better than expected) for a more comfortable, capable tire. The Goodyears are pretty terrible in the wet. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts