Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been tinkering with cars for well over 20 years now, so I figured I’d add leather seats to my 2016 Sport. I’m pretty sure I’d be able to do it myself after watching the tutorials of others doing the install themselves. Just buy me some hog nose pliers and some silicone spray and I should be set. My question is I know Katzkin is good, and I can buy the full set for $570 shipped, but I’m seeing 2 other brands also. I see a full set of Roadwire leather seats for $305 shipped and a set of Alea leather seats for $430 shipped. I’ve never heard of these other 2 brands, but I’ve read some people like Roadwire better. Anyone have any experience with either of them? All of the leather sets are black with white or grey stitching so they all look pretty similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2014 EX and picked up a set of Katzkin for $299 on ebay this past summer and installed them myself and I'm really happy with them. I can't speak personally for the other brands but I have others talk positively about Roadwire. As far as installation goes, I found it relatively easy to install. I would recommend taking picture of the seats as you go(especially how it wraps around the side airbags in the front seats) so you have a reference. Also, while the covers are off definitely add the seat heaters. They do make a big difference in the winter. Just curious, what site(s) are you looking at getting the covers from? I have a 2013 that I'm thinking of doing the same to as well.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have a 2014 EX and picked up a set of Katzkin for $299 on ebay this past summer and installed them myself and I'm really happy with them. I can't speak personally for the other brands but I have others talk positively about Roadwire. As far as installation goes, I found it relatively easy to install. I would recommend taking picture of the seats as you go(especially how it wraps around the side airbags in the front seats) so you have a reference. Also, while the covers are off definitely add the seat heaters. They do make a big difference in the winter. Just curious, what site(s) are you looking at getting the covers from? I have a 2013 that I'm thinking of doing the same to as well.
Hey thanks for the info, and I’m looking at eBay also. I was definitely planning on adding the seat heaters too, I loved them in my 2012 Accord SE. They rear seats seem the easiest, but I have no doubt that I can knock it all out. Did the hog rings give you a hard time like a lot of people say lol?

Found this video of a guy installing roadwire leather in a 2016 sport coincidentally, and it looks pretty good so I might get the roadwire since it's the cheapest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey thanks for the info, and I’m looking at eBay also. I was definitely planning on adding the seat heaters too, I loved them in my 2012 Accord SE. They rear seats seem the easiest, but I have no doubt that I can knock it all out. Did the hog rings give you a hard time like a lot of people say lol?

Found this video of a guy installing roadwire leather in a 2016 sport coincidentally, and it looks pretty good so I might get the roadwire since it's the cheapest.

Not at all regarding the hog rings. I had to manipulate the seat covers quite a bit but once you get a groove going it'll be easy. And fyi, I did not take the headrest cloth covers off. I just put the "leather" ones on over the originals with no suctioning of the headrests to shrink them necessary. Patience and attention to detail is the key.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not at all regarding the hog rings. I had to manipulate the seat covers quite a bit but once you get a groove going it'll be easy. And fyi, I did not take the headrest cloth covers off. I just put the "leather" ones on over the originals with no suctioning of the headrests to shrink them necessary. Patience and attention to detail is the key.
Cool, thanks for the pointers. After thinking about it, here in Atlanta we rarely get cold enough to really need seat heaters, plus I don't feel like doing all the extra stuff when my hands will be full already lol. I ordered the Roadwire kit, should be here on Friday so I'll have a busy weekend ahead of me.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hey, just ordered my leathers, ended up going with Roadwire. Couldn't decide between Alea for perforated or Roadwire for smooth, but the ease of cleaning non-perforated sold me.

My Dormat heaters come with hog ring pliers, but they look pretty dinky. Is it going to be worth investing in a specific set of pliers or will they all suffice?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased hog ring pliers from Amazon, and it comes with 200 hog rings for $16 and I’m actually waiting for them to be delivered as we speak. Just picked up my Roadwire kit from UPS, and I’m telling you the quality of the leather is awesome. It’s nice and thick, I can’t wait to get it installed. I’ll probably do the back seat today or tomorrow, and do the front seats this weekend. I am very impressed by the quality of this kit, and for only $300 I’m even more impressed

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I started on the rear seats and I'm convinced that the only way to remove the rear headrest covers is to cut them off. So I did like @mvd1974 and just put them over the factory ones lol.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I purchased hog ring pliers from Amazon, and it comes with 200 hog rings for $16 and I’m actually waiting for them to be delivered as we speak. Just picked up my Roadwire kit from UPS, and I’m telling you the quality of the leather is awesome. It’s nice and thick, I can’t wait to get it installed. I’ll probably do the back seat today or tomorrow, and do the front seats this weekend. I am very impressed by the quality of this kit, and for only $300 I’m even more impressed

I'm guessing this is the kit? https://www.amazon.com/Galvanized-Included-Perfect-Furniture-Upholstery/dp/B07NSCCT64/

I was a little worried about those reviews. Do the hog rings look good to you? Happy to hear the positive review of the Roadwire kit though! I think I'll probably start with the back seat cushion as it's the easiest to remove.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm guessing this is the kit? https://www.amazon.com/Galvanized-Included-Perfect-Furniture-Upholstery/dp/B07NSCCT64/

I was a little worried about those reviews. Do the hog rings look good to you? Happy to hear the positive review of the Roadwire kit though! I think I'll probably start with the back seat cushion as it's the easiest to remove.
Yes, those are the hog ring pliers I got, and trust me they are more than adequate to do this job. I also bought these hog ring cutters, and they make removing the old hog rings a breeze. Xuron 2193 Wire Shear: Wire Cutters: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks. Contemplating whether I want to just use some diagonal pliers or get those wire shears. Are you going to do the door panel pieces as well? I am apprehensive about those.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. Contemplating whether I want to just use some diagonal pliers or get those wire shears. Are you going to do the door panel pieces as well? I am apprehensive about those.
Well since my sport has the black leather/cloth interior already everything already matches. The kit I have looks exactly like the stock sport seats but without the cloth. I'll take some pics once I reinstall the back seats. FYI the rear seat cushion has a million hog rings lol...Most of the other pieces have maybe 6 hog rings, but the rear seat cushion has them everywhere.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well since my sport has the black leather/cloth interior already everything already matches. The kit I have looks exactly like the stock sport seats but without the cloth. I'll take some pics once I reinstall the back seats. FYI the rear seat cushion has a million hog rings lol...Most of the other pieces have maybe 6 hog rings, but the rear seat cushion has them everywhere.
Aghhh dang! I have the ugly grey cloth everywhere :( Every time I look at my car and I do upgrades, I realize how the LX was such a bad buy compared to a Sport. I guess I can't complain though since my parents were the ones paying.

I'll deal with the million hog rings as long as it's easy to assemble! Are you doing heating pads?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Done with the rear seat, just gotta get rid of the wrinkles tomorrow with some steam.

Looks freakin amazing! How long did it take you to do all that? I am a little unsure with my install since it's like peak winter right now, and I don't have a garage so I'll have to bring my seats into my apartment to work on.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks freakin amazing! How long did it take you to do all that? I am a little unsure with my install since it's like peak winter right now, and I don't have a garage so I'll have to bring my seats into my apartment to work on.
Thanks, It honestly took me way to long lol. The only thing that drove me crazy was putting the flip down cup holder back in place. I’ll probably tackle the passenger seat in the morning and the drivers seat on Friday. And even though I have a garage, I did it in my couch while watching TV lol.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks, It honestly took me way to long lol. The only thing that drove me crazy was putting the flip down cup holder back in place. I’ll probably tackle the passenger seat in the morning and the drivers seat on Friday. And even though I have a garage, I did it in my couch while watching TV lol.

Hah, yea the back seat looks pretty simple with the sole exception of the cup holder! I've heard the center console can be pretty annoying as well. Lookin forward to the full leather!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts